Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today I started to hear some noises from the rear wheel. This was apparent at low speeds.
I made a video to demonstrate the noise. I wonder if anyone have an idea about the cause for this.

This is on a 2015 Icon. The rear wheel was never disassembled.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dori

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Chain is fine. Tension is ok and it is not the source of the noise.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi guys,

Today I started to hear some noises from the rear wheel. This was apparent at low speeds.
I made a video to demonstrate the noise. I wonder if anyone have an idea about the cause for this.

This is on a 2015 Icon. The rear wheel was never disassembled.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dori

That sounds like the thin wall spacer tube between the bearings, the spacer goes between the bearings to stop them collapsing inward when the axle is tightened. The noise sounds like the spacer is loose and rattling off the spindle.
If it was mine I would remove the wheel and check over the bearings rather than just tighten the axle nut, if it tightens even slightly.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had something rattle about inside the rear wheel of my 907ie. It turned out that one of the pins at the rear of the sprocket that locate into the cush drive rubber bushes had sheared and the broken off part had fallen into the wheel. Nothing could be seen externally because the threaded section was still in the sprocket carrier with the nut on the outside of the sprocket.
The Scrambler uses a similar arrangement to fit the sprocket carrier to the wheel and although that may not be the cause in your case it's worth a look.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good point Derek, I think it would be good practice to remove the wheel and check it out regardless. Everything else will be an educated guess at best.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Do doubt about it Hui, that wheel has to come out. I'm sure the cause will be fairly evident then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies.

I will take the time to take the wheel out and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, here's the answer.
I've just done one today. Turns out it's the spacers for the axle to fit the sprocket carrier bearings are too long. The noise is the sprocket carrier moving on the locating pins and bushes when rotating as it's not clamped.

The bearings themselves have a small/short spacer between them to stop them crushing as the axle gets tightened, no problem there.
There are two spacers for the axle, one inserts from either side of the sprocket carrier to reduce the size of the bearing ID and also act as wheel to swingarm spacers. These, or at least one of them is too long and come together in the middle leaving the sprocket carrier loose even after tightening. Another problem caused by this is the bearing inner race that should be clamped by the shoulder of the spacer is left loose and free to rotate on the spacer, not good and will wear a groove long term.

If you take hold of the sprocket (while still on the bike) and pull in/out axially towards yourself you will hear and feel play. Allow for grease to dampen the noise down.

I've checked one bike and have no play, another has 10 thou. and another with 28 thou. This does not change between tightening the axle nut to spanner tight (as most are) or at 145nm torque per book. I tried this to stop the keyboard warriors jumping in.

There is no technical reason for these spacers to be tight together as the bearings have there own spacer and therefore cannot crush the bearings, If this becomes a problem for Ducati I think they will just shorten one or both spacers.
I don't think they will see it as a safety issue but I suppose if the bearing picks up on the stationary spacer there could be a big problem then.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, well! Just checked mine. No noise and no play :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, well! Just checked mine. No noise and no play :)
Aye Derek,
My Urban has no play @ 2700 miles
My Sled has 10 thou @ 800 odd miles
Wife's Classic @ 1600 odd miles had 28 thou. which I heard tinkling as I pushed it about.

I had to try quite hard to feel it on the Sled and found it to be down to greasy spacers after I took it appart. I will guess next time I have the Urban appart and clean the spacers I'll find a wee thochty.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
This a photo of the play on one of the hubs I tested today. 12 thou (0.3mm) play.
This is actually the one out of the three I thought had no play, I just tried a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I would think having some, very little, play between the sprocket carrier and the installed bearings is a thousand times better than too little (crushing the bearings).

Correct?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm off to Belgium tomorrow to take in the Belgian Classic TT at Gedinne. I'll have a closer look when I get back but will more likely end up leaving it until the next time I have the wheel off

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would think having some, very little, play between the sprocket carrier and the installed bearings is a thousand times better than too little (crushing the bearings).

Correct?
No, I don't think so. At least not in this instance as the bearings already have their own spacer between them to keep them apart. The situation these are in means the inner race of the bearing can move independent of the sleeve which is never a good thing.
The shoulder on the sleeve is meant to clamp the inner race to allow the outer race to rotate with the wheel, it doesn't reach it because at least one of the spacer/sleeves is too long.
But, if you think it's OK to have a hub clanking it's way up the road because it's a thousand times better to have some play then that's fine but not on my bike it's not.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wait, is it play between the MOUNTED bearings, and the extra set of spacers that inside them?
It's the two bearings in the sprocket hub carrier. The wheel itself has it's own bearings and spacer which are OK.
Yes, it has two sleeves, they reduce the size of the inner bearing down the take the axle. The problem is that these spacers touch each other in the middle. I think the spacers should not touch each other and this would allow the shoulder to butt to the bearing.

The spacer you can see on the sprocket side that spaces the swingarm to the hub, this spacer has a shoulder on it that should butt up to the 1st bearing. You can see this bearing and circlip even with the wheel on the bike. The spacer should tighten onto this bearing and stop the inner race from moving. If you push/pull the sprocket carrier you may (or may not) find play. If you have play then this means the bearing is not clamped as it should be because the shoulder does not touch it.

The hub has two bearings fitted into it, they have a spacer in between them which stops them crushing together when the axle is tightened, this part is OK and there is no problems here. The axle can be beasted up and the bearings will be fine (not crushed).
The spacers should not touch each other, in fact they could be 10mm (3/8") shorter and not cause any problems no matter how tight the axle is, the bearing cannot crush as they have their own anti-crush spacer.

I'll be interested to see what Ducati come up with, Hopefully Hestia let's us know soon.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Yeah, now I get it, and your thinking makes sense!

I'll measure mine tonight.

PS, from a technical standpoint, it doesn't actually matter, you're right. You can easily shave some off of one of the two inner spacers. You can also shim it with a rubber washer or something to get rid of the rattling.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yeah, now I get it, and your thinking makes sense!

I'll measure mine tonight.

PS, from a technical standpoint, it doesn't actually matter, you're right. You can easily shave some off of one of the two inner spacers. You can also shim it with a rubber washer or something to get rid of the rattling.
Just to be aware, if you shim it, it will make the wheel a bit tighter to get into the swingarm as there is not much to play with.
If you shave a spacer down it will make wheel removal a bit easier and being only 10-30 thou extra clearance it will not stress anything out as it seems Ducati QA/QC only work to the nearest inch anyway and I'm sure the swingarm can flex a few thou.
Suzuki Gixers swingarms flex about 10mm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts