Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this happened.

I purchased a second scrambler (Urban Enduro) so that I could finally build it up the way I want. The problem, and solution, is that the bike was about 1,500 miles away. I flew down to Richardson, Texas, USA, and at 9:05 pm local time I began riding the bike home. It would have been earlier but my airline bumped my flight and I was forced to come down about four hours later.

Luckily the gentleman who was selling was amazing and made it easy. On the way home I passed 7 states and one territory (District of Columbia), was exposed to 100+ degree heat and humidity, then when I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was hit with torrential rains that broke trees and branches around me. Thank you rain gear!

I went through Texas, Arkansas, took the bridge across the Mississippi river into Memphis Tennessee, then rode across the whole state, experienced a time change, went into Virginia, saw signs for the Blue Ridge, and went on that as well. Then I finally made it into DC, got into Maryland, rode through Delaware, and ended up in my home state of Pennsylvania.

The cities of note that were stopped in were Richardson, Texas, Little Rock Arkansas, Memphis Tennessee, Nashville Tennessee (where I had the first service done), Knoxville Tennessee, and then I proceeded to get lost somewhere around the Tennessee/Virginia border. Followed signs for a mythical steakhouse and ended up riding around local roads in pitch black for about 20 miles. Then went into Virginia and hit Roanoke, rode though DC, rode through Wilmington, and came home.

All in all, it was 58 hours, 12 minutes, and I rode 1,579 miles to get this baby home.

Some thoughts:

1. I am so damn glad the standard suspension is so soft. The seat is a hard bench, so having soft suspension permitted me to somehow make the ride.

2. Bike kept eating my USB cords. I went through about 4 until I purchased some heavy duty ones.

3. The bike is champ as far as keeping me out of trouble. Somewhere in Tennessee on the highway they were refinishing roads, with no signs. In darkness I changed lanes and my tires got semi-stuck in the grooves. Any other bike I probably would have dropped, but managed to straighten it out and continue riding.

4. Do not follow phantom signs for steakhouses in Tennessee.

5. Raingear is a must. I was bitching for 2/3 of the ride for the additional weight on my backpack and then the skies opened.

6. Bring extra pairs of socks, shirts, layers, and electronic batteries.

7. Notify your bank you are traveling. My card was declined in middle of nowhere while out buying gas after hours. Luckily I packed money and extra methods of payment, but it was still annoying.

8. Water is given but so are fruits. Most food on the road is terrible and greasy--I made it a rule to stop every 120 miles or so for water and typically for an orange or a banana. Kept the energy up for the duration.

9. Emergency supplies are key. About 200 miles from home I essentially got so tired I couldn't move. Then I remembered I packed 2 chocolate protein bars. Ate one, waited 30 minutes, felt better, and did another 100 miles before stopping.

10. Stop, stop, stop, stop when body tells you to. After getting lost in Tennessee and barely finding my way on the highway I couldn't keep the bike up. Got off the moment I saw hotel signs and got a room. Overslept but woke up almost 100%. Worth it.

11. Bring a GoPro. My regret is that I did not. Wherever you ride it is beautiful.

12. People are beautiful for the most part. That made the trip amazing as well.

-----------
I started at 443 miles, and you see where I ended up. Amazing experience

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like a great way to break it and get used to it. Thanks for sharing

I just did a 718 miles trip to laguna seca last weekend for the world Superbike championships. Now where do I go this weekend?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now there's an impressive ride, what a cool adventure.
Thanks! I didn't expect such a ride, that's for sure.
Sounds like a great way to break it and get used to it. Thanks for sharing

I just did a 718 miles trip to laguna seca last weekend for the world Superbike championships. Now where do I go this weekend?
Ummmm... Arizona? (Just because)

·
Registered
97 Posts
A bit past your first service - any issues with that at the dealer?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit past your first service - any issues with that at the dealer?
Not at all. I was about 400 miles past it when I got there but I was told that it isn't an issue. The guys were super easy to work with, knew I was traveling so did it quickly, and it was cheap. The service there was only $233. My Italia cost me $339 at Motorcycle Mall, meaning they totally overcharged me. As far as getting the service done, this was literally the closest shop...and it was 680 miles from where I started from.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome thing to do!

I love fly and rides and think more people should do that when buying a bike. I won't go into details here but I did that in March of this year. Picked up a bike in Florida and rode back to Washington State via Key West. In June I left Washington State for Alaska and just got back about ten days ago. You see so much more on a bike and if you just prepare a bit for weather like you did, it is worth it.

And thanks for nearly convincing me to buy a 2nd Scrambler. I'd like to build a yellow Icon up and was at my dealer today checking one out. But if you can do it I can do it . . . :cool-29:

NC

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Good on y' mate. Great ride. And to think I was worried about meeting a mate halfway down the east coast in Australia, a mere 516 kms :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
A Great trip on a Scrambler with a seat made of timber ! One of the first things I had done was have the seat modified by my local upholsterer ( was the best $ 220 AUS dollars I ever spent ) I haven't yet done a long trip on my Urban Enduro , but rode from Cairns North Queenslands Australia to Wodonga Victoria Australia ( around 2500kms on my Triumph Tiger 955i ) I'm in the process of getting my Scrambler sorted for the Simpson Desert in Central Australia and Flinders Rangers in South Australia next year
so far I,v done the following.
1. The seat as stated
2. Dart Screen
3. Oxford heated grips
4. Buckbaster handguards
5. 12 volt and USB socket handlbar mounted
6. Modified Verata rack
7. SRA adjustable short levers
8. X- Army cam pouch mounted on handlbars
9. SM-MOTO crash bars and wider pegs
10. Intercooler guard
11. My own modified rear fender
Soon will be fitting IKON Suspension ( front and rear ) and making my own pannier racks , as I have some old Aprilla panniers lying around.
I also working on a larger fuel system as well ,
Anyway good luck with your project

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, what a ride, and thanks for passing along those tips for the rest of us. Glad Bloodworth was laid back about the first service and got right to you.

Sarah

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Great trip on a Scrambler with a seat made of timber ! One of the first things I had done was have the seat modified by my local upholsterer ( was the best $ 220 AUS dollars I ever spent ) I haven't yet done a long trip on my Urban Enduro , but rode from Cairns North Queenslands Australia to Wodonga Victoria Australia ( around 2500kms on my Triumph Tiger 955i ) I'm in the process of getting my Scrambler sorted for the Simpson Desert in Central Australia and Flinders Rangers in South Australia next year
so far I,v done the following.
1. The seat as stated
2. Dart Screen
3. Oxford heated grips
4. Buckbaster handguards
5. 12 volt and USB socket handlbar mounted
6. Modified Verata rack
7. SRA adjustable short levers
8. X- Army cam pouch mounted on handlbars
9. SM-MOTO crash bars and wider pegs
10. Intercooler guard
11. My own modified rear fender
Soon will be fitting IKON Suspension ( front and rear ) and making my own pannier racks , as I have some old Aprilla panniers lying around.
I also working on a larger fuel system as well ,
Anyway good luck with your project

Amazing, this looks like about 80% of what I want to do to this bike. So far my tentative list is as follows:
1. Termi performance exhaust, enduro style.
2. Modify the skid plate at the original skid plate will no longer fit. Dumb design, Ducati.
3. Heated grips
4. Camo tank covers
5. Barkbusters, in camo with yellow accents.
6. Piug screen
7. Aluminum foot pegs.
8. Foldaway gearchange levers
9. Engine guards
10. Frame sliders
11. Oil cooler protection
12. Removal of vapor canister and further protection
13. Handlebar bag
14. Ohlins rear shock
15. Andreani fork cartridges
16. Painting the 'ducati scrambler' logo from red to yellow, to match the shock and the barkbusters

How well do your heated grips work, or are the OEMs better?

Awesome thing to do!

I love fly and rides and think more people should do that when buying a bike. I won't go into details here but I did that in March of this year. Picked up a bike in Florida and rode back to Washington State via Key West. In June I left Washington State for Alaska and just got back about ten days ago. You see so much more on a bike and if you just prepare a bit for weather like you did, it is worth it.

And thanks for nearly convincing me to buy a 2nd Scrambler. I'd like to build a yellow Icon up and was at my dealer today checking one out. But if you can do it I can do it . . . :cool-29:

NC
Do it.......DO IT!

Wow, what a ride, and thanks for passing along those tips for the rest of us. Glad Bloodworth was laid back about the first service and got right to you.

Sarah
My pleasure, they were very very easy to work with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The Oxford grips are fantastic and easy to fit ( and have four heat setting) I got the Adventure ones also 200 Aus dollars cheaper then the Ducati ones , Ducati parts are so expensive ! The SM Moto pegs come with removable rubber inserts ( the Ducati ones don't ) I Also don't like a high mounted pipe ( as this restricts carry capacity for luggage etc - something to consider ! The seat is also worth modifying as well mine now is so good I could easy sit on it for 500kms ( if the fuel range would go. That far ) Also the SMMOTO Crash bars are fantastic as well !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which handlebar bag is that?

NC

View attachment 5594 View attachment 5602 View attachment 5602 The Oxford grips are fantastic and easy to fit ( and have four heat setting) I got the Adventure ones also 200 Aus dollars cheaper then the Ducati ones , Ducati parts are so expensive ! The SM Moto pegs come with removable rubber inserts ( the Ducati ones don't ) I Also don't like a high mounted pipe ( as this restricts carry capacity for luggage etc - something to consider ! The seat is also worth modifying as well mine now is so good I could easy sit on it for 500kms ( if the fuel range would go. That far ) Also the SMMOTO Crash bars are fantastic as well !

·
Registered
140 Posts
The handlebar Bag is actually a Military pouch, I'm Military but you can get on ebay for around $ 20.00 just lookfor the ones that have rringlet holes around edgè ( as with these pouches they cable tie on Military chest webbing, ( way cheaper than the Ducati option and looks good as well ) I can put my phone, wallet, sunglasses etc in as well so fairly roomy .
Getting the seat done was the best and most comfortable mod I reckon so far , looks cool and very comfortable I can easy stay on bike between fuel stops ( unlike the piece of timber Ducati call a seat )

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tiger68, Thank you for the ideas. I did not consider the pouch, and frankly it sounds and looks more utilitarian. I am digging it and will likely copy you!

Awesome ride report! My longest single days ride on my Scrambler so far was 500 miles in Morocco. Not a patch on yours!
Time to catch up :) In all seriousness, if I attempt this again, I am getting my adventure touring bike. Scrambler over such long distances is a lesson in endurance, but doing it a second time, and voluntarily, simply would show me to be a masochist.

·
Registered
140 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
CNo Worries Dkaplun happy to throw ideas about ( and save money ) On another post I made my own Tail tidy ( rear guard mod ) Ducati price around 350 Aus , aftermarket 200 Aus , my price NIL I think it looks good and also will stop sticks and branches getting caught up between the wheel and number plate guard also here is a photo of my seat mod as well

1 - 20 of 31 Posts