Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Since more than a month, my Desert Sled has to stay outside on the parking at work, and, when it rains, I can see that some water comes out of the saddle when I ride the bike.

I suppose the saddle sewing is not waterproof or, worst, the saddle foam is not wrapped in a plastic cover...

I've removed the saddle cover to understand what's happening and the conclusion is : the sewing is not waterproof and the thin foam under the cover soaks with water and gives it back when I sit on the saddle. Good thing, the saddle foam is wrapped in a plastic cover.

Now, I can go to a saddle maker to buy a good saddle cover with waterproof sewing.

A pic here : http://www.webazar.org/album/?action=thumb&id=5918&w=800

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can't you just apply a tape to the seams on the current cover - because I expect water enters the seams as well as the stitching so taping the inside may be the best way.....

Or a cover over the seat when you leave it parked...

·
Registered
278 Posts
While my Icon mostly resides in the garage, it has been massively rained on during camping/trips. I spray all the seams and stitching on my Russell seat with Camp Dry and I bought a cheap motorcycle cover (ebay $15) that works quite nicely and packs really small. BTW water has never bothered the Scrambler in running or handling.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
Can't you just apply a tape to the seams on the current cover - because I expect water enters the seams as well as the stitching so taping the inside may be the best way.....
Or a cover over the seat when you leave it parked...
Taping the inside won't change anything : water will enter the thin foam along the seams and will go out when there's pressure on the saddle, while seating.
Cover the saddle when parked is a solution, until someone will steal the covering.
The saddle maker, that already made two saddles for me (on my XT500 and my XTZ660) has got a solution, with sealed seams. I will ask to apply it to my saddle, but it implies to build a new cover.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A $20 nylon bike cover from eBay will not only keep the rain if it will stop wandering hands from touching or wandering eyes from wanting to steal the bike.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts