Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
His in depth testing videos are always fantastic, sadly... only confirming what we all kinda knew.
I'm surprised Ducati were quite so poor. I would have been nice if they revealed which model's oil was tested... As most manufacturers have factories in various places or sub contract now.

But I'm trusting they picked bikes produced in each manufacturers home country/main factory.

The first service and run in period is extra important on Ducati's then!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think he would’ve gone with what was available immediately to make the most of the opportunity. Regular oil and filter changes from new and good quality fuels and I reckon we’re ok! Good to see RE do well if they’ve invested in their production

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting video, but not very informative. Small sample size is an understatement (yes, he acknowledged that, but statistical significance starts at 100 population size and usually includes a 95% confidence level and some level of confidence interval). Also, how hard were the bikes run? Did owners break it in like they stole it, or did they do it by the book? Were the clutches adjusted correctly, or slipping? New or experienced riders? Oil can contain lots of clutch particles in the first oil change, and my oil probably looks worse than my wife's since I slap a few clutch wheelies every ride and she doesn't. Also, particle counts vary in brand new oil, depending on the manufacturer. All of these factors present challenges to comparing twelve samples of oil.

But the video was entertaining.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Agree with 0260n25. Nothing even remotely constructive or useful in the video to the average rider but a reasonable way to spend 12 minutes.
I can't even guess how many "reliability" type surveys of motorcycles I have seen over the years but one thing to say about them is that almost every manufacturer has been in every position from first to last at some time or other depending on the methodology and sampling used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to say the entire sample data starts being dubious with RE being on top. Not that I have anything against that brand is just that I would think that the reputation and history of Japanese manufacturers historically show that those had better quality control policies than companies from other regions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say the entire sample data starts being dubious with RE being on top. Not that I have anything against that brand is just that I would think that the reputation and history of Japanese manufacturers historically show that those had better quality control policies than companies from other regions.
i believe the RE samples were from the new 650 bikes. which are pristine and machined from scratch. not surprised by that result at all considering all the great reviews they've been getting. of all bikes, RE as a brand has the highest hill to climb due to their reputation. makes sense they do all their due diligence for their new line of bikes.

personally i'd get a RE 650 if it had higher HP and didnt seem to weigh a lot for its class.

but yes, overall of course the video admits its sample size is small.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Sample size is small indeed. However, what they mostly focused on was stuff that shouldn't be in an engine at all, reflecting how clean the production process was. Still tells us something.

Would also like know which model it was they got the oil from. I can imagine a dinosaur as an aircooled two valve coming from a completely different manufacturing plant than the V4 engines...

(same between the RE 650 and the single cylinder)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Still tells us something.
No, it really really doesn't. With a small sample size, it is as likely to be an anomaly as it is the real issue. It's like ending up meeting a skinny American and a fat Italian, and concluding that Italians are fatter than Americans.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Keep in mind that the RE has a 300 mile first oil change and the Ducatis and almost every other bike have a first oil change at least double that distance. The video in question is just clickbait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts