Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Looks like a grownup version of mine :)

Does that stuff work on the hot bits, exhaust etc?
I am also concerned about the exhaust shield. I did mine with a Simonize Tough Paint. I don’t know if it’s OK as I haven’t yet ridden the bike.
The plastidip parts look really good. I have just found out that they do a clear protection for plastidip that makes it more durable, I’ve got some on order.
Does the spray nozzle work well?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a grownup version of mine :)

Does that stuff work on the hot bits, exhaust etc?
I used plastidip on my car wheels and it lasted for years before I peeled it off. I know that wheels get pretty hot. I figured I would try it on the shields and see.

I didn't want to spray the muffler cans themselves because I know that will reach much higher temps than the shields. I've ridden it ~30 miles with the dip and it appears to be fine. I will report if and when anything bad happens.

I am also concerned about the exhaust shield. I did mine with a Simonize Tough Paint. I don’t know if it’s OK as I haven’t yet ridden the bike.
The plastidip parts look really good. I have just found out that they do a clear protection for plastidip that makes it more durable, I’ve got some on order.
Does the spray nozzle work well?
I have the clear coat plasti dip but I have never used it. I've never found the need to. Also it may affect the matte look that I am going for on these parts. Nevertheless, durability has never been an issue for me without it.

There are a lot of variables involved in getting a clean finish most notably how you spray it on. Some people like to do multiple light coats waiting several minutes in-between coats to dry. I like to do multiple light coats with only 10-30 seconds between the coats drying. I hit it from all different angles on each coat. Essentially coating it 5 or 6 times before letting it dry. You don't want the coating too thin where when its dry you can rub it off with your finger, but you also don't want too many coats as you will get a rougher texture with a bubbly look (some sections of my parts got like that because I went overboard on the coat).

The distance that you spray from is also a large factor. There is a sweet spot (like a bell curve) of distance where you will get a nice smooth coat. You don't want to be too close and you don't want to be too far. I find that approximately one foot away works best.

I use a can gun which makes life a lot easier than spraying with one finger. No finger fatigue and I get a good constant coat. As always make sure you start your spray before the object and end after the object so you get an even spray across. Also, I found that on some of my plastidip cans if the can sits long enough some dip dries on the spray hole making it come out awkward. I always give the nozzle a rub before spraying so I get that nice even vertical line of spray.

Maybe I will take a video of me respraying something down the line so it will be more understandable.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I’ve used plasti dip on many occasions now it’s my go to spray for my black parts. As with the protection coat I have on order, I will spray a test piece first to check the finish.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are a lot of variables involved in getting a clean finish most notably how you spray it on. Some people like to do multiple light coats waiting several minutes in-between coats to dry. I like to do multiple light coats with only 10-30 seconds between the coats drying. I hit it from all different angles on each coat. Essentially coating it 5 or 6 times before letting it dry. You don't want the coating too thin where when its dry you can rub it off with your finger, but you also don't want too many coats as you will get a rougher texture with a bubbly look (some sections of my parts got like that because I went overboard on the coat).

The distance that you spray from is also a large factor. There is a sweet spot (like a bell curve) of distance where you will get a nice smooth coat. You don't want to be too close and you don't want to be too far. I find that approximately one foot away works best.

I use a can gun which makes life a lot easier than spraying with one finger. No finger fatigue and I get a good constant coat. As always make sure you start your spray before the object and end after the object so you get an even spray across. Also, I found that on some of my plastidip cans if the can sits long enough some dip dries on the spray hole making it come out awkward. I always give the nozzle a rub before spraying so I get that nice even vertical line of spray.

Maybe I will take a video of me respraying something down the line so it will be more understandable.
This is the best and most concise rundown of successful plasti-dip application that I've ever seen.

·
Registered
896 Posts
This is the best and most concise rundown of successful plasti-dip application that I've ever seen.
Eh! I’ve got a lot but I don’t boast about them.
BTW my sealant arrived today. It’s not a spray on coating, you spray it onto a microfibres cloth and wipe it on leave it for a while and then buff it off. I’ve done it on my test piece and can’t say I can see what it does??:ambivalence:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow even the rear sub-frame got the p-dip treatment. It'll be interesting to see how the exhaust end caps and heat shields hold up, please keep us updated...

Looks good and an awesome job!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ciao fatalbert. As tank belt i'm into unit garage's one. More classic style. But i shure like the black. The radiator sides will be next on mine... Are going to keep the high originals double exhausts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ciao fatalbert. As tank belt i'm into unit garage's one. More classic style. But i shure like the black. The radiator sides will be next on mine... Are going to keep the high originals double exhausts?
For now yes. I want the front piston slap issue settled before I change anything that affects the engine. So probably around spring time. I think I will be going with the low slung if I can get an answer from CW on the mapping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tank pad/stripe looks great!

Did you remove the seat before applying the center stripe? If so, do you think the seat pressure over time on the stripe/pad will cause issues with the plasti dip staying in place in that area?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tank pad/stripe looks great!

Did you remove the seat before applying the center stripe? If so, do you think the seat pressure over time on the stripe/pad will cause issues with the plasti dip staying in place in that area?
I did remove the seat to paint this, and then put the seat back on after drying. The thing about plastidip is it doesn't flake or wear off like normal spray paint. To cause a gash it would require a sharp object to pierce its rubberlike qualities. Like a key perhaps. It is essentially one big piece of rubber once it dries.

The seat rubbing on the plastidip would put some friction on the outer part, but it will not cause it to wear off. It may however cause the entire layer of plastidip from surface to tank to loosen essentially making it like a loose piece of rubber in that area. I will have to see if that is the case or not by just using it over time.

My gut tells me it will be fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did remove the seat to paint this, and then put the seat back on after drying. The thing about plastidip is it doesn't flake or wear off like normal spray paint. To cause a gash it would require a sharp object to pierce its rubberlike qualities. Like a key perhaps. It is essentially one big piece of rubber once it dries.

The seat rubbing on the plastidip would put some friction on the outer part, but it will not cause it to wear off. It may however cause the entire layer of plastidip from surface to tank to loosen essentially making it like a loose piece of rubber in that area. I will have to see if that is the case or not by just using it over time.

My gut tells me it will be fine.
I did something similar with my Sixty2 but used 3M Gloss Black wrap instead...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did something similar with my Sixty2 but used 3M Gloss Black wrap instead...

That thing is a beaut!

I also plan on hitting the front splash guard and rear fender the same way, but in black plastidip.

Your bike looks very nice!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts