Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the torque specs for tightening the oil drain plug, I managed to shear the head. Not enough that I can't remove it, but enough that it won't last long.

Is anyone using an aftermarket plug?

I'm thinking it would be good to have the option to put a wrench around it and saw the Corse Dynamics v2 plug. However, a lot of reviewers talk about finding the magnet in the oil which...is not OK with me.

CORSE DYNAMICS Magnetic Oil Drain Plug V2

There doesn't seem to be much else out there other than cheap ebay bits but I really don't feel like using the OEM part.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes. I replaced the OEM plug with an aftermarket one. Unfortunately, I can't find the picture I had taken of it. I think was a magnet on it. If I find the packaging, I'll let you know what I bought.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Following the torque specs for tightening the oil drain plug, I managed to shear the head.
The figure of 42Nm in the manual is wrong. The MTS1200 (and other Ducatis) uses the same drain plug and the torque figure quoted is 20Nm and additionally Threebond.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The figure of 42Nm in the manual is wrong. The MTS1200 (and other Ducatis) uses the same drain plug and the torque figure quoted is 20Nm and additionally Threebond.
Yep. There are numerous errors in the manual. I learned that one the hard way and investigated after. It's not confidence inspiring that I need to refer to the forums before looking in the manual but that's the reality now.

·
Registered
764 Posts
To be fair, it's not a proper manual. It's some sort of provisional copy that's been leaked out of the factory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, it's not a proper manual. It's some sort of provisional copy that's been leaked out of the factory.
That's too lenient for me. If you sell a pricey motorcycle and include a manual (read the first page, they stress the importance of the "manual") don't screw it up. It really demonstrates a lack of consideration on their part. Don't get me wrong, I love my scrambler to pieces, but they obviously cut corners wherever they could including the few hours it would have taken to have someone double check the manual. The torque specs on this piece are one of several mistakes in the manual. Does it make me hate the bike? No way. Does it make me less confident in the quality due to the lack of consideration? Yeah, but again...every second riding it is a joy, I love the thing. Modern bikes/cars cut corners everywhere. I get it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's too lenient for me. If you sell a pricey motorcycle and include a manual (read the first page, they stress the importance of the "manual") don't screw it up. It really demonstrates a lack of consideration on their part. Don't get me wrong, I love my scrambler to pieces, but they obviously cut corners wherever they could including the few hours it would have taken to have someone double check the manual. The torque specs on this piece are one of several mistakes in the manual. Does it make me hate the bike? No way. Does it make me less confident in the quality due to the lack of consideration? Yeah, but again...every second riding it is a joy, I love the thing. Modern bikes/cars cut corners everywhere. I get it.
Yes, the Owner's Manual stresses the importance of the manual on the first page but it is referring to itself, the owner's manual not the service manual. Unless you have purchased a genuine workshop manual from Ducati, assuming it is available to Joe Public, then like the rest of us you are using a pirated copy that is available on the internet and is certainly not backed by Ducati. It is a provisional manual with many mistakes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the Owner's Manual stresses the importance of the manual on the first page but it is referring to itself, the owner's manual not the service manual. Unless you have purchased a genuine workshop manual from Ducati, assuming it is available to Joe Public, then like the rest of us you are using a pirated copy that is available on the internet and is certainly not backed by Ducati. It is a provisional manual with many mistakes.
You're right. I have the Owner's Manual but was looking at the Service Manual online since it's easier to look at while working. I had it in my mind that the information on the oil change was the same, but the Owner's Manual simply states:

"Engine oil and oil filters must be changed by a
Ducati Dealer or Authorized Service Center at the
intervals specified in the scheduled maintenance
chart contained in the Warranty Booklet."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally made a decision. Caught wind of the TPO billet plug from the folks on ducati.ms. TPO was out of stock, but after a long search, BellissiMoto in Las Vegas was showing in stock so I picked on up online. Will report back.

BellissiMoto - TPO Engine Parts

edit: Scratch that. They just told me they had to cancel the order as they don't have stock and never will. Bummer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts