Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the other Scrambler forum
  • Nasty mistake Workshop/Service Manual

• Some of us have downloaded the Scrambler Service Manual. I just want to draw Scrambler owners attention to a mistake that will end up causing them tears. This mistake seems to be ongoing as it also appeared in the manual for my Monster 1100. Most owners of Monsters already know about this. Somewhere in the Monster range Ducati changed the size of the oil drain plug from 22mm ( from memory) to 12mm (from memory) but the manuals haven't changed the fastening torque specification. I just had a look at my Scrambler and it appears to have the 12mm plug. Page 104 of the downloaded Service manual shows the drain plug having a torque of 42 Nm. This is incorrect and should be 20 Nm. The 20 Nm has been arrived at from discussion on the web (Ducati forums) and reference to Torque Tables. Any qualified people on this forum might want to comment on this. If you use the higher fiqure you will strip the thread or pop the head off the drain plug (its a thin head or flange) (ask me how I know this). If you google this you will find there is lots of info on the web about this problem. Note - I am not referring to the "oil intake mesh filter". Note - 22mm and 12mm refers to the diameter of the thread. Hope this helps someone - Regards Ray.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks Phil.. although my ability to screw things up means Ducati will be doing my oil changes and servicing ...

(Greetings from South Wales BTW boring journey here - fun starts tomorrow)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Tbh, I never looked up the torque value for an oil plug on any bike. I just screw in the plug and tighten it until I feel the crush washer crush. Don't overdo it.

It's only there to keep the oil in...

That said, I found some compound on the threads of my oil plug from the 600 mile service when I did an extra oil change a while ago. Why? I don't know. I can't think of a reason to use a sealant of some sorts when you have a crush washer anyway....

·
Registered
896 Posts
Why? I don't know. I can't think of a reason to use a sealant of some sorts when you have a crush washer anyway....
The original post is a good catch and great info but I’m like you and would never have looked up the torque setting for an oil drain plug anyway. As to why the sealant. Maybe they reused the original crush washer and didn’t want to get caught. Most crush washers can be used a couple of times anyway if necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

So lockdown oil change went well until I torqued the drain plug to 42nm as per the manual and as per probably the most famous YouTube oil change video (when you Google Oil change Ducati Scrambler).

Little did I know that the narrow flange on the drain bolt went "pop and then the remainder of the bolt went through the copper crush washer as the wrench made its "click".

I finished topping up the oil and then the washer and flange came off when I took a rag to clean the surface.

I did a 25km ride yesterday and let the bike stand overnight. Fortunately no oil is leaking, but only today I discovered the magnitude of what has happened. I thought that there was an aluminium washer and a copper one, but now I realise the one is the flange.

The bike will stand now until I get a new drain plug and washer from the dealer.

Maybe there was some fatigue on the bolt head from before since it was very tough to remove it to begin with...but so once learns.

20200614_134758.jpg
20200614_134816.jpg
20200614_134840.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts