Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Oil Filter Leak (drip)

2nd oil change done on this bike by me...first in March 2018 and the 2nd back in August 2018. First time I used a K&N filter, this time I used a OEM Ducati filter.

Applied a coat of oil on the rubber gasket before putting filter on. I had the exhaust off so I hand tightened it. For 1500 km no issues.

Once I stopped using the bike regularly because of the season change I took it out once in October or late September, can't remember anymore, and noticed when the bike was warming up that the filter was leaking...just a few drops.

I used the filter loop tool to give it a 1/4 inch turn (that's how far it would go) and left it at that.

Rode the bike since that time a couple of times and no problems.

Took it out today (first ride in about 3 weeks) and filter leak again...and again only a few drops. Parked bike at friends 20 minutes later, no more leak...2 hours later going home...no leak when warming the bike up but when I parked back home 20 minutes later, noticed the underside of the filter had some oil on it...

I'm giving as much detail as possible, we are now in around 0 degrees celcius here in Toronto.

2) Tail Light Brake Light flicker..

This never happened until the season changed and it got colder...not sure if the two are related? When warming up the bike I do a indicator, brake light check and the rear brake light would flicker but after a few foot pumps of the brake it would turn solid...

Not sure what to suspect here?

My bike is parked in an underground garage that is not temperature regulated but so far it's still at least 10-15 celcius down there.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I used the filter loop tool to give it a 1/4 inch turn (that's how far it would go) and left it at that.

2) Tail Light Brake Light flicker..

the rear brake light would flicker but after a few foot pumps of the brake it would turn solid...

1. If the oil filter would only go 1/4" it sounds like it was too tight in the first place. If it is too tight it won't seal just like if it is too loose. Try a new filter (yes it will cost a filter and oil) and make sure the new one is tightened the correct amount. I have always tightened them by hand. Tighten until the O ring makes contact then another 1/4 turn. No more.

2. Dirty brake light switch connection. Try something like WD40 around the switch.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. If the oil filter would only go 1/4" it sounds like it was too tight in the first place. If it is too tight it won't seal just like if it is too loose. Try a new filter (yes it will cost a filter and oil) and make sure the new one is tightened the correct amount. I have always tightened them by hand. Tighten until the O ring makes contact then another 1/4 turn. No more.

2. Dirty brake light switch connection. Try something like WD40 around the switch.

Originally, I tightened it with my hand...from what you describe with how you tightened it...maybe even by hand I went too much? Didn't have this issue with the K&N and for that I actually used a socket wrench to tighten it...

I'll check the brake light, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
809 Posts
A socket wrench is fine provided you use the O-Ring touch then a 1/4 turn method. If the filter is too tight the O-Ring is compressed and it will not seal.

·
Registered
734 Posts
had similar problem with OEM oil filter twice, now I just use HiFlo oil filters w/o leaking.
IMO does appears OEM gasket tends to leak more.:confused1:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Had the same issue with the OEM filter after I did the second oil change. Tightened till gasket made contact and then + 1/4 turn. Developed a very slight drip after about 500 miles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only explanation here is that the expert engineering of Ducati did that on purpose so you know that there's oil in the engine...:acne:

I'm going back to a K&N filter for my next oil change...not dealing with this crap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is an old post, but the problem was the filter itself. I had this leak happen using the oem filter too. I pulled up the rubber gasket and low and behold, the filter spot welds for assembly were mushroomed up with sharp edges and cut the gasket between the filter and gasket. New Wix filter, no problem.

Ducati hasn't refunded me for the crap filter either or wasted oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts