Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my Desert Sled home after 7.5k maintenance, I noticed that my oil plug gasket/crush-washer is flared out. Does this look normal? I did an oil change myself once, but I do not recall if it looked like this. It is something I just noticed while inspecting the bike. Does this indicate someone reused the gasket instead of replacing it? It is not leaking.

IMG_20180212_210539.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but I did not change the oil since that maintenance, and I am wondering if it obvious the dealer service dept did something wrong. Also, when I change the oil myself next and replace the washer, should I expect it to do/look the same as this? It looks wrong, but is it? How does yours look?

·
Registered
734 Posts
never saw that before, most likely is OVER-TORQUED.
If is not leaking, observe and replace crush washer with a new one on your next oil service.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That doesn't look like the correct washer to me. At least it's not leaking. Change it when you do the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just in case it is over-torqued, would it be a bit easier to break loose while the engine is hot? Just something to note and hopefully save a headache.

Sarah

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it were mine, I would take it back to whomever did the oil change and have them fix it. I might even get a manager, or owner, involved.

As long as I've been around motorcycles, or even cars, I've never seen anything like that.

-Bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
That said, if it doesn’t leak...
Doesn't justify the work. If that's from over-torqueing, then there's possibly more damage.

Did they use an air wrench? What happens if, when trying to remove the drain plug, something gets damaged? What's the recourse?

It's a bad job and it needs to be pointed out to whomever is in charge.

Here's mine:

20180214_220756.jpg

-Bob

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
If if if...

Whatever it is, a crush washer doesn’t flare like this. Could be just a style we’ve never seen before...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do I spy a Fahrenheit?
Yes, is a 2007 VW GLI Fahrenheit edition. I gave it to my daughter for her high school graduation and bought myself the Desert Sled.

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I need to decide whether to complain and let them service it or to investigate it further myself.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. They just want to make a service appointment and not try to figure it out on the phone. I have been recovering from surgery and not able to ride to the dealer. I still might wait until my next oil change, and take a close look at it myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts