Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

OK, I'm stupid and shouldn't have assumed anything

10K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Shmakt 
#1 ·
I realized my earlier rant about how upset I was that something was wrong with my new Scrambler was completely wrong and unfounded. (Drum roll).....The button that I thought was the high beam switch was in fact the trip meter reset for the control panel.

I was going through the manual and the description while not entirely clear from the drawing made me call the dealer and ask. To my delight and surprise I found that the actual flash to pass lever had more then one function and the entire lever moved up and down as well as being able to pull back.

So all the other people I have found on different forums as well having the same issue I thought I was having may not have a problem at all like myself. I was told by the dealer that this was the first time Ducati had used this specific switch design but if that's incorrect I am sure someone will speak up? Anyway I am doing a happy dance that nothing is wrong with my new Scrambler and beg your forgiveness in my previous statements.

#6 ·
One thing you would think the dealer would do, especially when it involves a first time Ducati owner is to point that out to them since I don't believe any other manufacturer utilizes that switch design. It would avoid some bad feelings for a non issue when you have that "new" bike glow and it gets dashed when you think something is wrong but is not.

#13 ·
Now for my next question, The manual specifically states on the USA version at least that there is a connector under the seat to use with Ducati's battery maintenance kit that I sure don't see on mine. It's on page 152 and has a diagram to show you where its supposed to be but I don't see it looking at mine.

#16 ·
I believe it is tucked up into the left side pillion grab handle. Reach up underneath like you are sitting on the back of the seat. You should be able to feel it and pull it out. That's where I found it on mine. Kind of hard to see, but here are a few pics for reference.
Leg Finger Hand Arm Joint
Finger Leg Arm Auto part Hand

#28 ·
I'm glad you asked actually, as I meant to give you some feedback but it slipped my mind. Andy only got round to taking the seat off for the first time a couple of weeks ago, as he was looking for a suitable thin-walled plug spanner to fit the bike. And under the seat there was ...

... absolutely nothing of any use at all. There certainly isn't a toolkit there - the allen key is simply to take the seat off if you feel the need :confused-48:

Has Doug managed to find a suitable plug spanner for his Bonnie (while we're hijacking the thread)? There's not a lot of space and Andy found that he couldn't use any of the plug spanners we have lying about.

#35 ·
Dave, I hit the high beam switch three times tonight when I didn't mean to. It's not a good setup.

And yes, mine came with a Battery Tender type cable straight from the dealer. It was zip tied to the frame.

I'm getting better at not hitting it although it would be nice if you could slide the control pod a bit to the right but it seems too close to the lever.

#40 ·
If you have a standard SAE type battery tender connector, then your dealer installed it, it is not stock.

Most dealers have done this over the years (in the US) as a courtesy to their customers (and because Deltran - the battery tender manufacturer - supplies those pigtails to them, free of charge).

The Ducati diagnostic plug also "doubles" as a connection to their own proprietary charger. It is present on ALL bikes, and is tucked away in the battery compartment.

As for the headlight switch - when you bought the bike it came with a very important document called an "owners manual". This contains all kinds of useful info, like how the controls on the bike actually work.

Try reading it someday - it baffles me how some people never read instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.