Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - So I have my first service for '19 Full Throttle scheduled about two weeks away from now. When I was talking with the Ducati dealer service technician, he said its completely fine to go up to 1000 miles on the initial oil and he actually prefers it versus the standard 600 mile first service interval. Is this true?

I'm currently sitting at around 675 miles and want to know if its cool to continue riding as is before that first service or if I risk doing anything negative to the bike? Im assuming its fine because of the service tech saying so, but I also want to make sure he's not just saying that because the first appointment is two weeks out and he doesn't want me to be upset about it if I can't ride my bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've always gone over mileage. It's a recommendation, not a "stop the bike at this mileage and trailer it to a dealer" kinda thing.

Personally I wouldn't go over 500-ish miles past a service for an initial oil change but that also depends on your riding style, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always gone over mileage. It's a recommendation, not a "stop the bike at this mileage and trailer it to a dealer" kinda thing.

Personally I wouldn't go over 500-ish miles past a service for an initial oil change but that also depends on your riding style, etc.
I don't plan to be over 1000 miles by the time I have the appointment so I should be good here. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea you can go a bit over just not to far. Some brands use different oil during the break-in process which is not necessarily great for the engine, but helps the engine settle.

I'd go atleast untill the recommended milleage, and than find some time basically as soon as possible to change the oil and filter.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just don't do what I did, and bring it in for service @ 620 with the service light still off. Tech did the service then said he couldn't log it for warranty purposes because the software couldn't confirm the checkpoint had passed and been inspected. I'd have to schedule another service after the light came on. Drove 2 miles, it lit up, turned around, and the dealer was "nice enough" to plug it back in for no charge and clear the checkpoint.

I'd never owned a bike newer than 1979 before, so I had no idea you had to wait for the light to schedule service.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just don't do what I did, and bring it in for service @ 620 with the service light still off. Tech did the service then said he couldn't log it for warranty purposes because the software couldn't confirm the checkpoint had passed and been inspected. I'd have to schedule another service after the light came on. Drove 2 miles, it lit up, turned around, and the dealer was "nice enough" to plug it back in for no charge and clear the checkpoint.

I'd never owned a bike newer than 1979 before, so I had no idea you had to wait for the light to schedule service.
… yup. And some dealers can be very awkward and charge a fee to reset the service light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts