Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently with the design of the battery box it appears to be fairly impossible to attach battery tender leads to it. The only alternative seems to be leave the seat off and the cover off with the clip on leads for the tender.

Unless someone else has discovered a way? I guess it just means I'll have to ride it more during bad weather :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have been able to permanently attach your leads to the battery please let me know how you did. Even the dealer said it cannot be done with the current battery box. That's what I was referring to, the permanent lead that hangs off the battery to make it easy to plug in as needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine (UK version) came with a charging lead already attached to the battery. In fact this is described on page 140 of the owner's manual. Doesn't the US spec one have this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a battery tender lead on mine. I am currently using it as a power source for my gps. I have a adaptor, and have used the same lead to power my Gerbing jacket.

I have a Ducati charger to plug into the other connector, mentioned by JET.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a battery tender lead on mine. I am currently using it as a power source for my gps. I have a adaptor, and have used the same lead to power my Gerbing jacket.

I have a Ducati charger to plug into the other connector, mentioned by JET.
How did you attach the circular tender leads and route it out of the cover?

·
Registered
541 Posts
can you post pics of your batteey cover?

I have permanently fitted both the battery tender plugs and the antithief GPS transmitter. furthermore I'm "stealing" power from USB port cables to power the GPS cradle, and the garmin cable has a lot of wires (mic in + audio out + plug for traffic info...) a lot o cables under the seat / battery cover :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can you post pics of your batteey cover?

I have permanently fitted both the battery tender plugs and the antithief GPS transmitter. furthermore I'm "stealing" power from USB port cables to power the GPS cradle, and the garmin cable has a lot of wires (mic in + audio out + plug for traffic info...) a lot o cables under the seat / battery cover :)
I will do so later on today, I also decided to drop Ducati Customer Service a note as well. From what I have been seeing allot of people but the specific Ducati kit for many other models as well. But if I can use my existing Battery Tender leads that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here is connections (cover off):

Access is tight (cover on) but possible here:

or here:

edit: you can see where I stuck all the labels that I peeled off--hidden under seat

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ogre, where do you run the leads to for charging? Do you have a photo of that?

This image is called an SAE connector. If you are in Europe, they may be hard to find but here in the States, they are very common.

This connector is at the end of the terminals that are connected to the battery. I plug in what ever accessories I want, using the mating SAE plug.

NOTE: The hot lead of the SAE connector, that is attached to the power source side, must always be the recessed part!!!

The protruding lead is always negative, so if it contacts anything, NO WORRIES.

REGARDING GPS...

Each of my bikes has a RAM ball available to attach a GPS mount. They also have an SAE connector. This way I can switch units easily between bikes and they are easy to remove, so that nothing is left on the bike.

To do this, you must mount the power converter, of the GPS mount, on the MOUNT...NOT on the BIKE. This way all you need is access to a fused 12 volt (which is supplied by the SAE plug).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Before Battery Tender connecters where so readily available, I used to make my own SAE connectors by adding an in-line fuse to a 2-prong trailer light connector like this:

(available @ auto parts store for a couple dollars)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'l have to check out my ability to hook up the battery tender leads, but after I unfortunately have to already have some warranty repair done. My high beam switch is not functional.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I swapped my battery out. It was faulty from day one and wouldn't hold a charge over night. I know I could have had it replaced under warranty, but instead I used it as an opportunity to just swap it out for a lithium battery. In doing so I cut 7 pounds of weight that sits high up in the bike, and also freed up some space since the new unit is quite a bit smaller. I'm using the same battery tender leads that Ogre is, and it seems to be that they would have hooked up to the stock battery pretty easily as well.

On a side note, the faulty factory battery taught me that the Scrambler will bump start pretty easily. I can push it quick enough on a flat surface to pop the clutch, and if there is even a slight hill it's really easy.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I could bump start my previous bike, triumph bonnie, really easily as well. I just needed enough juice to prime the fuel pump.

My buddy's shaft drive bike.... Not so much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've always been curious about bump starting FI bikes. I've never had to do it, so I didn't even know if it was possible. Makes sense if you can get the stator doing its thing given the Scrambler supposedly puts out 490W.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Yep, you just need enough juice to get the fuel lines primed and then pop that clutch while running. If you can't get your fuel pump primed, you are out of luck though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts