Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I removed the non-drive side plastic bodywork shroud above the oil cooler to install a guard (in the end, realized it wasn't even necessary), and one of the nuts that are supposed to remain threaded into the frame when you remove the little allen key bolt spun off - along with the ground wire that was underneath :angry5:. So, the wire coiled up and was ripped out of it's connector. I've tried but can't tell where it is supposed to go.

I tried to find pictures online, but no luck!

Does anyone know where this wire goes? Or could be bothered to removed that shroud and see where it goes? I can't be the only person that this has happened to.:apathy:

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I was thinking it was ripped out of a wiring harness. My bike is in storage and I will be away from it for a few days, but I'll take a look again. I know this is asking a lot, but would you (or someone) be able to attach a pic of where it goes?

Thank-you so much either way!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep pretty sure it goes to the sensor that is fitted to the underside of the oil cooler.
Mine also came out, but was easy to re-fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone. I had a chance to take a peek this weekend and am still confused as to where the wire actually goes. Is it the ground for the sensor that philgoodscrambler suggested? If so, where does the wire go in? Unless I'm missing something, I can't actually see it in the picture provided. I removed the clip and took a couple clearer pictures. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know what the black wire you are holding has come off but the oil pressure sender light is the connector with the yellow rubber seal and it's not connected. The sender is at the bottom of the cooler at the right hand side and can't be seen in your pictures as it is behind the two hose connections.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks, Derek. A couple people suggested that the oil pressure sensor is where that black wire may have come from. I purposely detached it to take pictures. The wire is within reach of the sensor, but it still doesn't seem to fit in there - at least in an obvious way.

Still trying to figure out where that black wire goes....?

·
Registered
764 Posts
The wire to the oil pressure sender is white/yellow and the sender earths through the oil cooler. The mystery wire is black so is almost certainly an earth for something. The only black wire I can think of in that approximate area is the earth for the horn, but it's on the other side of the bike!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, I thought the horn too!! But I doubt it for the reason you mentioned. I don't want to connect the battery or anything until I've found out what it goes to. If it trips a code, I bet it'd be an expensive trip to the dealership to clear it!

Are you able to see where that black wire connects to on your bike by chance? It grounds to the frame (as pictured in the first post - look for the red).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Connecting the battery is very unlikely to throw up an error code and most codes will clear once the fault is fixed. if it was my bike I'd be connecting the battery and checking to see if anything doesn't work.
I can't see anything like your black wire on my bike with the oil cooler shroud in place. I'll have a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, I see that there are 2 black wires from the voltage regulator. Possibly one of these is your errant earth wire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be greatly appreciated!...... GREATLY APPRECIATED! **Be super careful when removing those shroud bolts so you don't end up in my situation. I can see that Ducati put loctite on the bolt/nut that fixes the ground wire to the frame (which the shroud bolts to as well). Unfortunately, it didn't hold and, like I said - my wire just spun with everything.

I'll see what you come up with. My next step was to actually go the dealership. They have a used F/T and I was planning on begging them to remove a panel and let me see where that little b goes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can see it clearly in this pic (not mine). The arrow is actually pointing at it, though it is referencing something related to the evap can. Seems to be headed toward the engine and away from the regulator.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well curiosity got the better me and took the LH shroud off for a look. What a bugger of a job. Whoever made the decision to loctite the screws that go into an insert moulded into the plastic of the airbox should be sacked. Absolutely crazy.
The bad news is that my bike has no earth cables attached to any of the mountings. Maybe because it is a UK bike with no evap canister.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Derek, I sincerely appreciate you looking into it. Thank-you. That's real interesting! Follow this thread - I'm sure you'll be interested to hear what it is at some point. I wonder if it could somehow be related to the evap...?

·
Registered
764 Posts
It may indeed. The evap system is not shown on my wiring diagram. Can't you just trace the wire and see where it leads to?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts