Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ducati scrambler 1100 sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After giving Ducati USA my VIN #, they said there was an open recall 'CR201' on my 2018 ducati scrambler 1100 sport; something about a 'short circuit' concern w my cable/hose guide assembly on/near my exhaust. Anyone on here who has dealt w this recall or has electro-mechanical duke know how, feel free to reply. Just bought bike w 8,700 on clock; no record if this recall issue ever got addressed; purchased from non duke dealer; no maintenance records, period. Sending it in 2 months to an authorized local duke dealer to do the required work or to ck that it was already done properly. Currently in winter storage at the non-ducati dealership. BTW, my riding season here starts april 1st,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanx,

THE WILD ONE 1

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
The recall requires moving the positive battery cable away from the throttle? cable and placing a new metal guide to keep it in the new location. In my opinion, there was very little risk of the throttle cable cutting into the battery cable, but it didn't hurt to err on the side of safety. I watched the Ducati tech perform the job - it took 10-15 minutes. The exhaust is not involved.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati scrambler 1100 sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The recall requires moving the positive battery cable away from the throttle? cable and placing a new metal guide to keep it in the new location. In my opinion, there was very little risk of the throttle cable cutting into the battery cable, but it didn't hurt to err on the side of safety. I watched the Ducati tech perform the job - it took 10-15 minutes. The exhaust is not involved.
Hello and thanx for your quick reply. I believe you & assume we r both discussing Ducati's 'open recall' CR201, since u watched the ducati tech do this job. The guy at Ducati USA who alerted me to this recall issue seems to not have described it accurately as he mentioned the exhaust and not the throttle cable; only he did mention the 'positive battery cable',,,,,,Thanks again; now I fully get the issue and gonna have an authorized ducati dealer get it done. btw, which year/model 1100 do u or did u have and r there any other tips about the 1100 you'd like to share? As u know, I just bought a used '18 Ducati scrambler 1100 sport which is in winter storage here at a local non-ducati dealer I bought it at. As it's very cold here, I ONLY got to sit on my bike idling, shift it into 1st then back to neutral; though the roads were dry the dealer wouldn't allow me a test ride due to our streets being salted; sounds suspect; i traded in my 800 icon; hope its a good bike w no real issues. I realize I took a big chance in buying a m/c wo first test driving it,,,,,,,,,used 1100's r hard to find where i'm located,,,,,,so i grabbed it,,,,,,,,,looks pristine w no cosmetic flaws,,,,,,,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is also a 2018, yellow standard. I don't know whether the CR21 recall extended to any later models.
The one serious concern you might have with a 2018 model (and very few 2019's I believe) is that some had badly fitting front piston/cylinders that caused excessive wear and vibration. Search the forum for "piston slap" for very detailed information, video and audio recordings to help identify the problem.
Ducati has been pretty good about correcting the problem under warranty, I don't know whether they will do the same on a 4 year old bike. I hope they will - the cost for parts alone (IIRC) is around $2000US and labor about the same. Since you have a few months before riding season - I'd advise you to try to settle the issue early so if it does need repair, you aren't stuck being without the bike when you need it.
That said, do not panic! While those of us who had the problem made a lot of noise and filled a lot of space on the forum, we are likely a tiny minority of 2018 1100 Scrambler owners. At least our number was too small for Ducati to do a re-call. Those owners without piston slap felt no need to defend Ducati or their "good" bikes, and therefore did not join the conversation. So take it easy, walk, do not run to where your bike is stored and listen for clanking noise from the front cylinder. With 8K miles on the bike, I'm pretty sure the PO would have addressed the problem if it existed (with less than 500 miles on mine, my right hand "went to sleep" from vibration, 40 miles out on a ride - you can be sure I acted on it). Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
After giving Ducati USA my VIN #, they said there was an open recall 'CR201' on my 2018 ducati scrambler 1100 sport; something about a 'short circuit' concern w my cable/hose guide assembly on/near my exhaust. Anyone on here who has dealt w this recall or has electro-mechanical duke know how, feel free to reply. Just bought bike w 8,700 on clock; no record if this recall issue ever got addressed; purchased from non duke dealer; no maintenance records, period. Sending it in 2 months to an authorized local duke dealer to do the required work or to ck that it was already done properly. Currently in winter storage at the non-ducati dealership. BTW, my riding season here starts april 1st,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanx,

THE WILD ONE 1
Here's the recall notice:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts