Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started noticing that paint are flaking/peeling off the left side of my vertical cylinder, near the spark plug. It getting worse and worse. Anybody else having the same problem? Showed it to my dealer and they said that it isnt normal and that they will change the whole cylinder later this fall. Pretty shitty for a bike that has 1600 miles on the ODO.

IMG_7128.JPG

Now to the weird thing. Heard a strange sound coming from the rear hub when coming to a stop yesterday. Turned off the engine when I got home and rolled the bike by hand back and fourth. It sounded that if there was a loose bolt inside the hub that rolled around, no idea what it could be but it was super annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they took off the rear wheel and checked. It turned out to be a large chunk of aluminum that had been left from the casting of the wheel and had come loose and caused the rattle?! I will take a picture of the aluminum tumour when they pick it out, they couldnt remove it without taking the bearing out and they didnt have a new one on the shelf, so I have to wait...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, just googled "ducati paint peeling", and it seems that ducati have serious problems getting that paint to stick to the engines! Some engines really looks bad. Unbelievable that they havent solved it after so many years? Really puts the quality feeling right at the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
  • Started noticing that paint are flaking/peeling off the left side of my vertical cylinder, near the spark plug. It getting worse and worse. Anybody else having the same problem? Showed it to my dealer and they said that it isnt normal and that they will change the whole cylinder later this fall. Pretty shitty for a bike that has 1600 miles on the ODO.

View attachment 2682

Now to the weird thing. Heard a strange sound coming from the rear hub when coming to a stop yesterday. Turned off the engine when I got home and rolled the bike by hand back and fourth. It sounded that if there was a loose bolt inside the hub that rolled around, no idea what it could be but it was super annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they took off the rear wheel and checked. It turned out to be a large chunk of aluminum that had been left from the casting of the wheel and had come loose and caused the rattle?! I will take a picture of the aluminum tumour when they pick it out, they couldnt remove it without taking the bearing out and they didnt have a new one on the shelf, so I have to wait...
    Unfortunately I have the same kind of problem with my scrambler in Istanbul Turkey. My warranty finished 4 months ago and I don’t want to deal with the Ducati dealer in here which we really don’t get a long. I don’t know what to do with my 2,5 year old premium! brand paint flaked Ducati either?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ha ... that's not paint peeling.

This is paint peeling.

Admittedly, this is after three and a half years. But the bike is almost never ridden in the rain and always stored indoors.

It's on both fork yokes and a couple of other places too. It all started when the bike was just a year old and Ducati refused to do anything about it under warranty. Boo!

·
Registered
909 Posts
T

This is paint peeling.

Admittedly, this is after three and a half years. But the bike is almost never ridden in the rain and always stored indoors.

It's on both fork yokes and a couple of other places too. It all started when the bike was just a year old and Ducati refused to do anything about it under warranty. Boo!

View attachment 43955
That's shitty. If Ducati don't be careful they'll lose out to other brands. I love mine at the moment but I'm not so wedded to it I won't change if it starts to do stuff like this. I'm already lusting after a RNineT, though I haven't taken one for a spin.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This is paint peeling.

View attachment 43955
That’s pretty sad. What are you planning to do? In my case I don’t want to have my motor block painted because in second hand people would think it had a nasty crash in a big accident.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That’s pretty sad. What are you planning to do? In my case I don’t want to have my motor block painted because in second hand people would think it had a nasty crash in a big accident.
I change my mind daily about what to do.

My engine cases are okay, paint-wise, but the bare/polished metal details have corroded a bit. Could probably polish that out though.

Suspension is the only thing I really want to upgrade on my Scrambler anyway, so part of me just wants to upgrade at both ends and have the yokes blasted and powder-coated while the fork legs are out.

Then I look at the cost (silly money to get stuff shipped down here), and think a new bike would be a better bet.

Keep giving Monsters a sly look, but don't like the 821 very much and the 797 probably isn't different enough from my Scrambler.

The only other bike that seems particularly appealing is the Thruxton R, but I'm not mad about the slightly dull power delivery.

Guess I'll just polish out the corrosion for now and re-paint.

bm

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The coating on the whole lower tree is rotting. Pretty sure if you tap it more paint will come off. Looks like:

• hit with road split/gravelof some sorts (ridden offroad?)
  • salt got inbetween the damaged coating (road salt or sea water).
  • chemistry did the rest
I would take it apart, have it coated (new bearing while you’re at it?), and put it back together.

how does the rest of the bike look?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The coating on the whole lower tree is rotting. Pretty sure if you tap it more paint will come off. Looks like:

• hit with road split/gravelof some sorts (ridden offroad?)
  • salt got inbetween the damaged coating (road salt or sea water).
  • chemistry did the rest
I would take it apart, have it coated (new bearing while you’re at it?), and put it back together.

how does the rest of the bike look?
Haha ... you only have to look at it and more paint flakes off. To top yoke is almost as fragile, but so far no really big areas of flaking.

Aside from the (unprotected) plotted details on the engine cases which look a bit tarnished, the rest of the bike is in perfectly acceptable condition, with no paint flaking or unacceptable deterioration.

Given that I barely ever ride in the rain or off-road, I kinda doubt it's salt, rain or gravel damage. Just very poor paint finishing. This is quite an early, Thai-assembled bike and I wonder if that might be a contributing factor (not that Italian-assembled Ducs are exactly flawless).

In the end, I probably will strip and repaint or powder coat. Just gotta find a way to get the Maxton suspension parts without having to pay £200 for shipping :(

bm

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Where do you live @Badgermat ? Close to the sea?

I look at your brake hose bracket, the voltage regulator, and I have a question. How many miles do you have on your bike? How often do you ride gravel? How often do you wash/detail your bike? That regulator is full of stone chips. I bet your spokes would be rusted too unless you have cast wheels. :(

(I recently sold mine with 10.000 miles after 2.5 years, and it still looked like new apart from some scratches from changing tires)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where do you live @Badgermat ? Close to the sea?

I look at your brake hose bracket, the voltage regulator, and I have a question. How many miles do you have on your bike? How often do you ride gravel? How often do you wash/detail your bike? That regulator is full of stone chips. I bet your spokes would be rusted too unless you have cast wheels. :(

(I recently sold mine with 10.000 miles after 2.5 years, and it still looked like new apart from some scratches from changing tires)
I'm in Auckland, NZ, and while that is on an isthmus between the Tasman and Pacific, I'm quite a long way inland.

The general humidity here may have a part to play, but nothing else seems to deteriorate quite like this.

The bike has 18k km on the clock and the only gravel I ever encounter is poorly applied chipseal. That would account for the dings in the oil cooler and regulator. Maybe it would have started off the big area of flake on the lower yoke, but what you can't see is that there are similar but smaller patches on flaking paint on the top yoke in places that could never have been touched by a loose chipping.

As I said before, the rest of the bike is fine considering the general level of care and attention it gets. But I am going to have to invoke the 5th amendment on the subject of cleaning ;)

bm

ETA – I'm not really complaining about this. Yes I was disappointed in Ducati's reaction, but I'm long since over that. In the end, this is a bike for riding, not wrapping in cotton-wool. One day it will disintegrate, much as my old Alfa did, and the Guzzi I had a while later. And in doing so it will help inflate the value of every remaining Scrambler through increased rarity. My gift to you all :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Badgermat.....I so wish I could have your attitude. I ride my new Sled on dirt and gravel all the time and if the paint starts to flake off like yours after such a short time/mileage and Ducati say F. Off I would have a fit....it wouldn't do any good of course either to the bike or me so your way is definitely best. Dreading the time I drop the bike for the first time though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts