Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word of warning if you plan to keep your panels as they are - they do scratch easily! I noticed some scratches on mine on the left hand side and thought it was the connector for my heated waistcoat I had just put in. Then after it was tucked out of the way I saw it was getting worse, then realised it was the seam in my leather trousers :mad:. It's not too big an issue for me as I plan to change the colour, but my legs must be just the right length to be rubbing on the panel (I am short! :rolleyes:). The right hand side is fine, it's just where I am changing gear.

I've obviously got to find something hard wearing to put between my leg and the bike otherwise I'm going to have this problem on any other panel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't like that for sure, looks cheapy. I too am only 5 ft 6 so I am worried mine will end up like that and I wanted to change them maybe but don't want scuffs everywhere for sure. Have you tried to rub them out with anything like a clay bar or something. Hope you can solve that issue and keep having fun riding:) I think I might put some clear film on them like I have on my front ends of my cars and trucks, that might help till I rub it off anyway . Good luck!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Word of warning if you plan to keep your panels as they are - they do scratch easily! I noticed some scratches on mine on the left hand side and thought it was the connector for my heated waistcoat I had just put in. Then after it was tucked out of the way I saw it was getting worse, then realised it was the seam in my leather trousers :mad:. It's not too big an issue for me as I plan to change the colour, but my legs must be just the right length to be rubbing on the panel (I am short! :rolleyes:). The right hand side is fine, it's just where I am changing gear.

I've obviously got to find something hard wearing to put between my leg and the bike otherwise I'm going to have this problem on any other panel.

What I see there is the lacquer is rubbed through.
A good option would be to have the panels rubbed down with 400, 600 then 1200 wet'n'dry until the lacquer is completely gone then either a light polish to a sheen. (not shine) or allternatively rub in one direction with nylon pad for a brushed steel effect.
In the future a polish with any metal polish (autosol) will restore the finish. When it goes slightly dull it will still be uniform.

N.B.
This is something I have done before a few times and it works a treat, the worst bit is rubbing the existing lacquer off.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan to have the panels painted or powder coated black, and may well have something like Venture Shield put over it. It's a nuisance that my leg just catches it every time I change gear! I wonder if I have my seat lowered it will improve :confused:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I do plan to have the panels painted or powder coated black, and may well have something like Venture Shield put over it. It's a nuisance that my leg just catches it every time I change gear! I wonder if I have my seat lowered it will improve :confused:
Do you remember the 'Crazy Frog' adds on the TV for the ring tone etc. where he rode off on his bike ? His knees were at 180 degrees, I reckon that'll work.

·
Banned
132 Posts
What I see there is the lacquer is rubbed through.
A good option would be to have the panels rubbed down with 400, 600 then 1200 wet'n'dry until the lacquer is completely gone then either a light polish to a sheen. (not shine) or allternatively rub in one direction with nylon pad for a brushed steel effect.
In the future a polish with any metal polish (autosol) will restore the finish. When it goes slightly dull it will still be uniform.

N.B.
This is something I have done before a few times and it works a treat, the worst bit is rubbing the existing lacquer off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.