Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word of warning if you plan to keep your panels as they are - they do scratch easily! I noticed some scratches on mine on the left hand side and thought it was the connector for my heated waistcoat I had just put in. Then after it was tucked out of the way I saw it was getting worse, then realised it was the seam in my leather trousers :mad:. It's not too big an issue for me as I plan to change the colour, but my legs must be just the right length to be rubbing on the panel (I am short! :rolleyes:). The right hand side is fine, it's just where I am changing gear.

I've obviously got to find something hard wearing to put between my leg and the bike otherwise I'm going to have this problem on any other panel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't like that for sure, looks cheapy. I too am only 5 ft 6 so I am worried mine will end up like that and I wanted to change them maybe but don't want scuffs everywhere for sure. Have you tried to rub them out with anything like a clay bar or something. Hope you can solve that issue and keep having fun riding:) I think I might put some clear film on them like I have on my front ends of my cars and trucks, that might help till I rub it off anyway . Good luck!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Word of warning if you plan to keep your panels as they are - they do scratch easily! I noticed some scratches on mine on the left hand side and thought it was the connector for my heated waistcoat I had just put in. Then after it was tucked out of the way I saw it was getting worse, then realised it was the seam in my leather trousers :mad:. It's not too big an issue for me as I plan to change the colour, but my legs must be just the right length to be rubbing on the panel (I am short! :rolleyes:). The right hand side is fine, it's just where I am changing gear.

I've obviously got to find something hard wearing to put between my leg and the bike otherwise I'm going to have this problem on any other panel.

What I see there is the lacquer is rubbed through.
A good option would be to have the panels rubbed down with 400, 600 then 1200 wet'n'dry until the lacquer is completely gone then either a light polish to a sheen. (not shine) or allternatively rub in one direction with nylon pad for a brushed steel effect.
In the future a polish with any metal polish (autosol) will restore the finish. When it goes slightly dull it will still be uniform.

N.B.
This is something I have done before a few times and it works a treat, the worst bit is rubbing the existing lacquer off.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan to have the panels painted or powder coated black, and may well have something like Venture Shield put over it. It's a nuisance that my leg just catches it every time I change gear! I wonder if I have my seat lowered it will improve :confused:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I do plan to have the panels painted or powder coated black, and may well have something like Venture Shield put over it. It's a nuisance that my leg just catches it every time I change gear! I wonder if I have my seat lowered it will improve :confused:
Do you remember the 'Crazy Frog' adds on the TV for the ring tone etc. where he rode off on his bike ? His knees were at 180 degrees, I reckon that'll work.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you remember the 'Crazy Frog' adds on the TV for the ring tone etc. where he rode off on his bike ? His knees were at 180 degrees, I reckon that'll work.
I don't need to create any more wind resistance! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks pretty rubbish... I might wrap mine with Vinyl steel brush finish as a preventative measure...

·
Registered
97 Posts
noticed similar marks on my FT long plastic logo... thought it was dirt but couldn't get it off

hope you get yours sorted soon!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Crap, I'm starting to get small wear spots now too in the side panels. I'd intended to paint or vinyl wrap them anyway, but it still sucks in the interim...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well since mine were powder coated I haven't had a problem at all, but wouldn't have been happy if I wanted to keep them original :grumpy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to this post, i asked my dealer to wrap mine in some kind or wrap protection plastic (very popular here). Took about 30mins and it's completely invisible.

·
Banned
132 Posts
What I see there is the lacquer is rubbed through.
A good option would be to have the panels rubbed down with 400, 600 then 1200 wet'n'dry until the lacquer is completely gone then either a light polish to a sheen. (not shine) or allternatively rub in one direction with nylon pad for a brushed steel effect.
In the future a polish with any metal polish (autosol) will restore the finish. When it goes slightly dull it will still be uniform.

N.B.
This is something I have done before a few times and it works a treat, the worst bit is rubbing the existing lacquer off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts