Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am going to bare my soul here of a problem which may make me have to abandon my affair with the Desert Sled which I have had for a year now and 12,000 km. The bike is tall, but I have got used to that. What I can't get used to is having to be so very, very careful of where I have to stop and put the bike on the side stand. This was thrown into stark focus today when my mate on a Triumph and me both had to park at a pull over at the start of a very steep track down to a gorge. The pull over had a slight camber right to left. My mate flicked out his side stand and stepped off his Triumph. I flicked out my side stand and the gap between it and touch down was 3". If I had tried to lean the bike over then I would not have been able to support it before the side stand took over and, with the soft ground, I am sure I would have dropped the bike. A brick sorted the problem but I can't rely on a riding mate always having a brick to hand!. Now I write this out it just sounds like a moan but I ride all sorts of places including cobbled streets in old villages and many times the camber is not perfect and I just hate the constant risk of dropping the bike just because the camber isn't perfect. Is anybody else bugged by this or am I on my own?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can understand as I don't like dropping a bike.
I really don't like the off camber stuff and when a bike is too tall it becomes a constant worry.
I think the original ICON Scramblers had shorter suspension, maybe trade for one of those???
Or take some riders classes which would give you some skillets and make you a more confident rider.
In the U.S. we have a BMW Riders school called Raw Hyde.
There is a guy on Youtube who is a flat out master at the GS and does training schools.
Don't give up, carry a brick with you at all times and a riding buddy nearby.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not sure what Triumph your mate has but the side stand on the Tiger 800 series is the worst side stand ever fitted to any motorcycle ever. People constantly complain about it on Tiger forums. It stands the bike to upright and many owners fear that the bike will tip to the right plus if there is even a minute downhill slope the bike will roll forward and off the stand if it is not left in gear every single time.
I can't speak for the Sled stand but the stand on my Full Throttle is way better than the stand on my Tiger from and engineering and stability in use point of view.
Welding a piece of metal on the foot of your stand to make the bike sit more upright should not be overly difficult for somebody with fabrication experience.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The Triumph was a 2014 900cc Scrambler. Training is of course good and I acknowledge that my slow speed driving on the Desert Sled is way worse than it was on the BMW's and Triumphs I have owned and the height of the bike and the high up weight cause me problems. Welding an extension on the side stand is definitely an option. What I should have done at the lay by mentioned in the OP is to have driven through and reversed back, camber woukd then have been in my favour.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I feel you man, it's been similar for me on occasion. I just find I have to be mindful of how I'm positioning the bike when parking it. It can be a hassle at times repositioning but it doesn't outweigh all the great things I love about the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mate, I feel your pain. As if the bike didn’t sit so upright I put a footpad on the stand. I had to grind the stop off the top of the side stand to compensate, now if I park in the wrong place I have trouble flicking the stand up because my legs aren’t long enough. Can be very embarrassing & potentially dangerous. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2020 CR has a side stand that is too upright. I can't even think of parking it with the stand uphill - even just for the engine warm-up. My wife's R3 has a great stand that leans the bike nicely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I am going to bare my soul here of a problem which may make me have to abandon my affair with the Desert Sled which I have had for a year now and 12,000 km. The bike is tall, but I have got used to that. What I can't get used to is having to be so very, very careful of where I have to stop and put the bike on the side stand. This was thrown into stark focus today when my mate on a Triumph and me both had to park at a pull over at the start of a very steep track down to a gorge. The pull over had a slight camber right to left. My mate flicked out his side stand and stepped off his Triumph. I flicked out my side stand and the gap between it and touch down was 3". If I had tried to lean the bike over then I would not have been able to support it before the side stand took over and, with the soft ground, I am sure I would have dropped the bike. A brick sorted the problem but I can't rely on a riding mate always having a brick to hand!. Now I write this out it just sounds like a moan but I ride all sorts of places including cobbled streets in old villages and many times the camber is not perfect and I just hate the constant risk of dropping the bike just because the camber isn't perfect. Is anybody else bugged by this or am I on my own?
You can lower the bike a fair bit. I had the same problem and dislocated my shoulder from falling off at walking speed. Hit a slippery log and couldn't put my foot down. I got the lower seat, the cut this down even further, then dropped the triple clamps a good 40-50mm and sorted the rear sag out. I am 5'6" and it is now fine and yes the stand needs to be cut down a bit which is an easy fix with a grinder and welder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mate, I feel your pain. As if the bike didn’t sit so upright I put a footpad on the stand. I had to grind the stop off the top of the side stand to compensate, now if I park in the wrong place I have trouble flicking the stand up because my legs aren’t long enough. Can be very embarrassing & potentially dangerous. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears

Here's a good hack for the side stand. The PO of my sled solved his similar frustrations by welding a tab/narrow tube to the stand a couple inches up from the base. Easily reached and works as intended!

Sled Side Stand Hack.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can lower the bike a fair bit. I had the same problem and dislocated my shoulder from falling off at walking speed. Hit a slippery log and couldn't put my foot down. I got the lower seat, the cut this down even further, then dropped the triple clamps a good 40-50mm and sorted the rear sag out. I am 5'6" and it is now fine and yes the stand needs to be cut down a bit which is an easy fix with a grinder and welder.
Hi Memla,
What did you do to the rear shock to lower the bike? Softer spring, a lot of sag???? I'd love to know.
Cheers
Denny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just set the sag for my weight which is light - 56 kilo so it is not at full extension all the time so I can touch the ground with both feet. So bugger all pre tension on the spring as I don't need much. Needs more work on the compression and rebound as at full tilt on dirt downhill the back bouncers around a bit however the front tracks well (have sorted that pretty well with some fiddling). It also bottoms over jumps but is a heavy 'dirt bike'. Can't ride much at the moment as I am in Melbourne and we are still locked down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts