Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my scrambler on Saturday evening. Reading up on the forums here I see that there is a known knocking/pinging issue. I recorded a video of mine making what I think might be this sound. Can anyone confirm?

This is a 2018 Scrambler Icon 1100

·
Registered
847 Posts
I find this very hard to tell. I think this sounds normal(because mine sounds pretty much the same) and this is just the valve train your hearing. Ducati's are very noisy and my 800 sounded quite similar to this so I think these are the valves and not the cilinder slap some people are talking about but it's very hard to tell based on recordings like these and without knowing what one would sound like wich definetely has the dreaded cilinder slap.
From what I heard rhe cilinder slap is something you hear when the bike is under load and pulling from low revs.

This is what mine sounds like:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Skippy, yours sounds normal, though it must be recorded much closer to the engine and you must listen with headphones for more clarity.

I heard mine immediately after i took it from the dealer. I had before 800. I asked many friends with Ducati, 2 of them with Scr 1100 without telling them and they didn't hear, but after i told them, they agree.

·
Registered
121 Posts
FatalBert, my 1100 also sounds like your youtube video at idle. I am not sure if it is piston slap or not. You did a good job of capturing it in that video with your phone close to the engine. I wish I could offer more info, but I'm still not sure if it is normal or not.

·
Registered
847 Posts
FatalBert, my 1100 also sounds like your youtube video at idle. I am not sure if it is piston slap or not. You did a good job of capturing it in that video with your phone close to the engine. I wish I could offer more info, but I'm still not sure if it is normal or not.
I exactly feel the same. It's not that I don't hear the noise that he mentions but I'm not sure at all if it is normal or not.
I'm afraid that people are making each other crazy while thers's nothing wrong as I'm quite sure that it can't be heard at idle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As i told you, mine sounds the same, but it is heard only in admission so thats why i think there are some wrong tolerances.
For sure i am not crazy because i was able to test other 2 machines and they rattle linear.

·
Registered
847 Posts
As i told you, mine sounds the same, but it is heard only in admission so thats why i think there are some wrong tolerances.
For sure i am not crazy because i was able to test other 2 machines and they rattle linear.
Not saying that you are crazy but maybe something gets lost in translation as English is not my mother tongue.
But now that some of these stories start to come up everybody is doubting if their bike is effected or not and as the Ducati air cooled engine is very noisy to start with it's very hard to tell what is what.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I went for a ride last night and didnt notice any slapping sound that I could hear through my helmet and above the wind noise. So is that good news? And at idle I cant really hear this unless I'm near the front of the bike. Here is a longer video from after the ride where I walk around the bike:

I dont have a gopro to capture while riding. Perhaps this is a reason to invest in one :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you pay attention, in the registration starting with "14 until '20 that specific sound is constantly disappearing and it comes back again when you are approaching the horizontal cyl on the other side.

For me it's obvious.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you pay attention, in the registration starting with "14 until '20 that specific sound is constantly disappearing and it comes back again when you are approaching the horizontal cyl on the other side.

For me it's obvious.
Right, I can only hear it when I am near the front cylinder. The noise is more pronounced at the top of the cylinder (closer to the seat). I cant hear it if I stand up and walk around the bike. I also cannot hear it through the helmet and wind noise while riding.

Not saying that you are crazy but maybe something gets lost in translation as English is not my mother tongue.
But now that some of these stories start to come up everybody is doubting if their bike is effected or not and as the Ducati air cooled engine is very noisy to start with it's very hard to tell what is what.
And yes I am going crazy HAHA! Because here in NJ USA we have 48 hours to return the vehicle by law. I needed to know ASAP if this was an issue. But I love the bike, so I want to keep it. I'm just hoping this is not the problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If i were you, i would make a claim. It's your choice.
I will mention to the dealer when I bring it in for service. I want to get a few more rides in before winter sets in. Plus, I would like to see if it gets worse, or if I start to hear something under load before ringing the bells to the dealer. I don't want them to take me as a hypochondriac (even though I am LOL).

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Scrambler 1100 is my first Ducati and it sounds the same as yours. I've quit worrying about it. However, since the Scrambler 1100 is a new (not especially popular) model and uses a slightly modified Monster 1100 EVO engine, you might take your videos to the Monster forum where the engine has been in use for years and see what more experienced owners have to say.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

For me it's obvious.
Yeah, apart from the regular aircooled desmo sound there is a distinct metallic "ricketyrickety" coming from the front cylinder imho.

Well, at least the OP has warranty. I wouldn't sell my old bike yet though....

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I remarked earlier, my 1100 has the same valve noise. While I wasn't especially concerned, when I took it into the dealer for the 600 mile service/oil change yesterday, after test riding it, the mechanic agreed that the noise was not normal and offered to submit a warranty claim. If Ducati NA approves the claim, the dealer will look into it and I'll report on the results here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts