Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've avoided recording my 800 (partly through technical ignorance of uploading clips tbh) but also as I don't want to muddy the waters in the discussions about the 1100s.

My 800 sounds 'fine', lots of tappet noises but as Skippy points out this is normal for the Desmodronics.

But my thinking is unless you get the bikes you want to compare in the same space and record on the same device you're surely going to get inconsistent results anyway, further adding to the mayhem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm no engineer either, but I am inclined to believe the reason the horizontal cylinder is more susceptible to this issue is due to gravity. The vertical cylinder/piston has a slight advantage in comparison as its not 'laying on its side' like the horizontal cylinder/piston is. Some of my buddies say the same thing about Subaru boxer engines, as the pistons/cylinders are all horizontal, so it causes them to wear faster due to gravity. But not catastrophically. Perhaps the teflon coated piston is just addressing the noise and not really the mechanical slap, but I am sure that would still give most the piece of mind that there are no concerns about riding it. I know I would be happy with that!!
Nope. The only engine I ever experienced piston slap with was my '01 GMC 8.1 V8. Never had it with the 3 BMW boxers, and one of them was high mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Presumably the 1100 Scrambler engine is out of a Monster (as the 800 is).
Does the Monster suffer from the same problem?
The engine in the Scrambler 1100 doesn't share any internal parts with the Monster 1100 Evo, and the 600 shares its engine with the newer Monster 797, but not the earlier 796 with the same displacement.
And it's only the new 1100 with piston slap issues. I'm wondering if anybody with a '19 has had the problem?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Definitely take it in to get it checked out. Sounds like the noise mine was making. Good luck man.

So, got my bike back on Saturday....

Had a pretty long talk with the Tech. They road tested, partially disassembled the engine and did some checks, reassembled, and used stethoscopes to listen for abnormal noises. They also recorded a few sound clips for review by Ducati. The only noise they found was an exhaust leak near the head, which they fixed. It's possible that was making the rattling noise, but who knows. The tech did reassure me that everything is fully documented in the Ducati system and if something does eventually fail, it will be covered.

Not sure I was happy with that conclusion, but it is what it is. I took it as far as I could with Ducati and if something does fail, I should be covered. As far as riding impressions, I really missed the snarling beast - good god the power delivery is almost brutal....in a good way. Where my CB is gentleman like as it pull linearly to triple digits, the Duc just smacks you in the face and screams at you in Italian.

I also paid it off while it was in the shop, with the intention of using the winter to part out the mods/parts and get it ready to trade in sometime in the Spring for a Panigale. But, I think I am going to go ahead and keep it for now. Plus the new CNC belt covers look great and seeing people's necks snap to try and catch a glimpse of the beast as is passes by was something I really missed. :headbang:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, got my bike back on Saturday....

Had a pretty long talk with the Tech. They road tested, partially disassembled the engine and did some checks, reassembled, and used stethoscopes to listen for abnormal noises. They also recorded a few sound clips for review by Ducati. The only noise they found was an exhaust leak near the head, which they fixed. It's possible that was making the rattling noise, but who knows. The tech did reassure me that everything is fully documented in the Ducati system and if something does eventually fail, it will be covered.

Not sure I was happy with that conclusion, but it is what it is. I took it as far as I could with Ducati and if something does fail, I should be covered. As far as riding impressions, I really missed the snarling beast - good god the power delivery is almost brutal....in a good way. Where my CB is gentleman like as it pull linearly to triple digits, the Duc just smacks you in the face and screams at you in Italian.

I also paid it off while it was in the shop, with the intention of using the winter to part out the mods/parts and get it ready to trade in sometime in the Spring for a Panigale. But, I think I am going to go ahead and keep it for now. Plus the new CNC belt covers look great and seeing people's necks snap to try and catch a glimpse of the beast as is passes by was something I really missed. :headbang:
Thanks for the update. I can understand your not entirelt happy but as I understand it the noise is gone now? I Just enjoy your Scrambler for now and wait for the new Streetfighter 4s ;-)
Can't wait to see pictures of your belt covers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the update. I can understand your not entirelt happy but as I understand it the noise is gone now? I Just enjoy your Scrambler for now and wait for the new Streetfighter 4s ;-)
Can't wait to see pictures of your belt covers.
Thanks Skippy - as far as the noise goes, its hard to tell. What I mean by that is, as we've discussed in this thread (and there are more than a few threads/videos out there on this topic) the engine itself, is well, pretty noisy in its natural state. When compared to others, it's not smooth by design, it clanks, sounds almost tractor-like and idles rough, and is kind of a buggar when cold, but then smooths out and sounds its absolute best when its wailing at 6k rpms. I will be the first to admit that if its the desmodromic system's natural rattle I am hearing, I can't tell the difference between that sound and what be something that is wrong. I do still hear a rattle, ever so slight, but I am going to have to defer to the experts at this point who say its all within spec. Knowing its documented in the system and they (seemingly) exhausted (no pun intended) their efforts to find the issue actually puts me oddly at ease.

I am digging that new Streetfighter for sure, what a beast! I'd love to get my mitts on one of those. But you are right, I am just going to enjoy the Scrambler and the investments I've made into it. Today is supposed to get up to 60 F, so I am going to detail it before I put her away for the Winter sleep, so I will snap some pics after I clean her up. She's got quite a film of dust on her from sitting in the shop and she's just not used to that kind of neglect. Haha

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You hit the nail right on the head describing the engine. I also fear it's pretty hard to tell when things are wrong I guess although I'm thinking as long as it sounds pretty much the same ad when it was new it probably will be allright. I've had plenty of bikes like this and they never failed be except for a blown head gasket on my Buell S1 White Lightning.
After the first desmo service my 800 sounded a bit more quite in the valve department thinking the valve clearences where a little tighter then the way it came from the factory.
It's becoming winter here as well but I do plan on riding it some more as long as the temperatures are above 5 degrees Celsius.

The new Streetfighter looks wicked and now has all the riding aids that you want nowadays in a bike. I enjoy the design and technical aspect but know I will be far more happier from day to day on my 1100 Scrambler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You hit the nail right on the head describing the engine. I also fear it's pretty hard to tell when things are wrong I guess although I'm thinking as long as it sounds pretty much the same ad when it was new it probably will be allright. I've had plenty of bikes like this and they never failed be except for a blown head gasket on my Buell S1 White Lightning.
After the first desmo service my 800 sounded a bit more quite in the valve department thinking the valve clearences where a little tighter then the way it came from the factory.
It's becoming winter here as well but I do plan on riding it some more as long as the temperatures are above 5 degrees Celsius.

The new Streetfighter looks wicked and now has all the riding aids that you want nowadays in a bike. I enjoy the design and technical aspect but know I will be far more happier from day to day on my 1100 Scrambler.
208hp on 439 lbs?

Something tells me the only way you can have the fun you are supposed to have on that machine is on the track.

Using that for the street seems overkill and you would not be utilizing what that thing is capable of. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Meanwhile, back at the death rattle (or piston slap if you like), my 2018 1100 had the named noise which I blithefully ignored until it went in for the 600 mile oil change. After the test ride, I asked the tech about the clatter and he suggested that it wasn't normal and should have a warranty claim filed. While I was waiting for news on that (and as my dealer "re-organized" staff) I came upon this and threads on other sites which caused me some concern. I listened to most of the audio and video clips (even posted one of my bike rattling away:
).

Next I contacted Ducati North America (DNA) Customer Service to ask if there really was a known problem and/or a service bulletin. I did not get an answer to my question but a rep contacted me, and since my bike was at the dealership to have the problem looked at, he also contacted them to express DNA's support and interest in the problem. I was impressed. By the way, the last six digits of my VIN are 001282, so it was likely an early production model.

When I called the dealer this morning, I learned the engine was apart and the problem has been diagnosed as damage to the horizontal cylinder and that DNA has agreed to warranty the parts and labor to fix it. It's snowing here so I didn't press for an estimated date for the repair to be completed. When I have it back, I'll post another video as a before/after sound comparison. Maybe the unpleasant vibration it has always had will disappear with the clatter.

Bill

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Meanwhile, back at the death rattle (or piston slap if you like), my 2018 1100 had the named noise which I blithefully ignored until it went in for the 600 mile oil change. After the test ride, I asked the tech about the clatter and he suggested that it wasn't normal and should have a warranty claim filed. While I was waiting for news on that (and as my dealer "re-organized" staff) I came upon this and threads on other sites which caused me some concern. I listened to most of the audio and video clips (even posted one of my bike rattling away:
).

Next I contacted Ducati North America (DNA) Customer Service to ask if there really was a known problem and/or a service bulletin. I did not get an answer to my question but a rep contacted me, and since my bike was at the dealership to have the problem looked at, he also contacted them to express DNA's support and interest in the problem. I was impressed. By the way, the last six digits of my VIN are 001282, so it was likely an early production model.

When I called the dealer this morning, I learned the engine was apart and the problem has been diagnosed as damage to the horizontal cylinder and that DNA has agreed to warranty the parts and labor to fix it. It's snowing here so I didn't press for an estimated date for the repair to be completed. When I have it back, I'll post another video as a before/after sound comparison. Maybe the unpleasant vibration it has always had will disappear with the clatter.

Bill
Thanks for this update! Very clear story and good to hear that the problem recieves atention and solution that it deserves. Basicly everyone who feels that their bike is sounding bad should have it looked at by the dealer and with this info they can make a serious claim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for this update! Very clear story and good to hear that the problem recieves atention and solution that it deserves. Basicly everyone who feels that their bike is sounding bad should have it looked at by the dealer and with this info they can make a serious claim.
For this particular problem, I believe that owners of 2018 1100 Scramblers should take their bike to the dealer if/when they hear a loud tapping noise coming from the front cylinder. I'm pretty sure Ducati SpA had it under control for the 2019 model year.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
For this particular problem, I believe that owners of 2018 1100 Scramblers should take their bike to the dealer if/when they hear a loud tapping noise coming from the front cylinder. I'm pretty sure Ducati SpA had it under control for the 2019 model year.
Well mine's a 2018 model so I wonder how this will develop. Listening to your video I also might already have it as I don't hear anything really special but it's hard judging video's. I also heard video's with bikes sounding way worse. I sure will have my dealer look into it before my warenty runs out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I rode my briefly yesterday and it still has an audible rattle, but smooths out in the higher rpms. Maybe it's the desmo, or maybe this thing is going to grenade. Oh well, I've done all I can, if there's a pool of metal flakes in my next oil change, I will be sure to calmly say "Yeah, see, you're fixing that for free, call me when its done."

·
Registered
38 Posts
I visited the dealer cca. 3 weeks ago and they open an official claim. Last week i receive a call from them telling me they were informed by the factory there is no problem with my model since it's a 2019 and it was solved.
I told to the dealer they are eating shit and this answer either is not official and is only the dealer story either this is the attitude.
It is not possible to say this model is ok because they know it was solved since my model still has this stupid metallic rattle. though I have to admit, my rattle is only when the bike is in admission >2k < 4.5k rpm.

I am thinking to force the dealer to send me a written notification to have a cover if something happens when the warranty expires.
I am also thinking to buy the piston and to change it. I saw some website with OEM parts and is around 1000 euro.

Best regards,
Dragos.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I visited the dealer cca. 3 weeks ago and they open an official claim. Last week i receive a call from them telling me they were informed by the factory there is no problem with my model since it's a 2019 and it was solved.
I told to the dealer they are eating shit and this answer either is not official and is only the dealer story either this is the attitude.
It is not possible to say this model is ok because they know it was solved since my model still has this stupid metallic rattle. though I have to admit, my rattle is only when the bike is in admission >2k < 4.5k rpm.

I am thinking to force the dealer to send me a written notification to have a cover if something happens when the warranty expires.
I am also thinking to buy the piston and to change it. I saw some website with OEM parts and is around 1000 euro.

Best regards,
Dragos.
Better contact the importer for your country or have the dealer put something in writing by the importer or factory. I wouldn't get et a piston and cilinder yourself for a 1000 euro's. If your bike isn't using any oil there just isn't that much of a problem except for the noise. Also it might be that yours already came fitted with an updated cilinder and piston from the factory.
I've read stories from German owners who had their piston and cilinder replaced and still had a noisy engine afterwards.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No slap in mine. But guys...air cooled desmo is not an electric motor at all. Slap is a problem the grunt of a desmo is a lovely, rough , tribal pleasure ha ha ha

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've read stories from German owners who had their piston and cilinder replaced and still had a noisy engine afterwards.
Good to know. I'm still not sure if I have it or not based on the audio clips I've listened to.

As of now, I'm going to closely monitor the oil and consumption and if there are any additional noises. At the next service I may mention it to the dealer, so that it becomes part of the service record in the event something happens with the motor post warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
).

Bill
Bill,
From your video your slap sound is considerably quieter and only somewhat audible. At least as compared to mine in my videos. Did you manage to record with another camera?

I will be bringing mine to the dealer soon as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bill,
From your video your slap sound is considerably quieter and only somewhat audible. At least as compared to mine in my videos. Did you manage to record with another camera?

I will be bringing mine to the dealer soon as well.
Actually Bert, I have a folder with seven video recordings, made with three cameras (one with a built in and remote microphone) and 11 audio only recordings made with a small Olympus digital recorder. The video I uploaded to YouTube (Sony camcorder) captured the clatter better than most. I agree the noise from my bike is less pronounced than the noise from your bike - but it is essentially the same noise. The difference could be that my 1100 is barely broken in and has only 840 miles on the odo, or it could be the difference in audio recording technology in our respective cameras?? Doesn't really matter; if the condition causing the noise results in excessive wear to the cylinder and piston (with scoring of those parts as reported in another Ducati forum), the engine will certainly lose power and metal particles released from the cylinder/piston wear could (conceivably) damage bearings and other wearing surfaces. Since the warranty repair will only replace the piston and cylinder, it is better to have that done (if needed) as early as possible.
That said, Ducati did identify the problem and made changes to the product at some point before 2019, which probably included some 2018 model year 1100 Scramblers. We don't know how many 2018 1100 Scramblers have or could experience the problem. So my recommendation is, if you have a 2018 1100 Scrambler and believe you can hear a rattle, clatter, or slap from the engine and you are not a qualified Ducati technician - have your bike looked at by someone who is a Ducati tech and let him make the determination.
Bill

21 - 40 of 42 Posts