Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to raise the issue at the dealer before my warrenty runs out. I'm going to tell them I know about the upgraded parts and what my worries are. My bike is from april 2018 so this is pretty early I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skippy, its as if you read my mind! I actually made contact with Ducati North America this afternoon and spoke to a representative and filed a complaint. Given the amount of time its been in the shop (60 days, with no resolution) they are looking into the situation further on my behalf, through the regional Ducati representative.

I also spoke to the other shop owner about bringing it to him for a second opinion. The owner knew EXACTLY what the issue is, and said that Ducati has put out a service bulletin on the issue, and he even provided me the upgraded part kit number from Ducati, (#12022761BB if anyone needs it) which this information is included in the bulletin. The kit consists of a new piston and cylinder, and supposedly, its a straightforward job that takes about 2 hours. Apparently from the factory, there are some tolerances out of spec in the 1100 engine and this kit not only fixes the damage, but also resolves the issue from recurring.

Bottom line is, Ducati corporate knows there's an issue and has advised how to fix it, but independent owners/dealers may either be ignoring it, or aren't keeping current with the bulletins. Needless to say I will let them investigate the complaint (which they took very seriously btw) and see what happens. I will certainly keep you guys posted.
I have the same issue with my Scrambler 1100 Sport. I have a long debate on this issue with the dealer. May you have information on the mentioned bulletin number? It would help me lot!
Thanks in advance, Gabor

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer is still awaiting the piston kit from Ducati (Italy?) before putting my bike back together. Since I was in the neighborhood this afternoon, I stopped in and asked to see my piston and cylinder. All the engine parts were carefully stowed in a box at the tech's work station. He took the piston and cylinder out of the box and tried to show me the damage. Except for one or two noticeable scratches on the piston skirt, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. The cylinder bore was different. Most of the cylinder bore had a dull finish but I could see a shiny area about 30mm long midway down the bore -- on both the dorsal and ventral (facing up and facing down) surfaces of the bore.. The tech said the shiny surface was caused by the piston rocking back and forth as it passed over the area -- making the characteristic piston slap noise. And that condition was abnormal for a low mileage engine (850 miles).

As to Gabor's question about a tech bulletin number, the technician commented that when he contacted Ducati NA about the symptoms my bike exhibited, they seemed to be familiar with the problem and were quite willing to warranty the repair. From that remark I gathered he was not aware of a tech bulletin -- but maybe the DNA people were? I never got an answer from Ducati NA Customer Support on that question, but I did get excellent support from them on correcting the problem.

Bill

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My dealer is still awaiting the piston kit from Ducati (Italy?) before putting my bike back together. Since I was in the neighborhood this afternoon, I stopped in and asked to see my piston and cylinder. All the engine parts were carefully stowed in a box at the tech's work station. He took the piston and cylinder out of the box and tried to show me the damage. Except for one or two noticeable scratches on the piston skirt, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. The cylinder bore was different. Most of the cylinder bore had a dull finish but I could see a shiny area about 30mm long midway down the bore -- on both the dorsal and ventral (facing up and facing down) surfaces of the bore.. The tech said the shiny surface was caused by the piston rocking back and forth as it passed over the area -- making the characteristic piston slap noise. And that condition was abnormal for a low mileage engine (850 miles).

As to Gabor's question about a tech bulletin number, the technician commented that when he contacted Ducati NA about the symptoms my bike exhibited, they seemed to be familiar with the problem and were quite willing to warranty the repair. From that remark I gathered he was not aware of a tech bulletin -- but maybe the DNA people were? I never got an answer from Ducati NA Customer Support on that question, but I did get excellent support from them on correcting the problem.

Bill
Thanks for this very usefull update. I guess you don't have pictures? Sounds like the bore and piston size are not right for each other leaving to much space for the piston to slap if there is already this much vissible damage on a 850 mile old bike. Please keep us posted when there is more news.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I considered taking photos but the light was bad and there wasn't enough visible damage to the parts for photos to be helpful. Excessive piston/bore clearance (slop) seems the most likely cause of the problem, but that wouldn't require new part numbers - just better quality control. I will ask for the used parts when the job is completed and will measure piston/bore clearance, bore roundness, etc. and post photos.
Thanks for this very usefull update. I guess you don't have pictures? Sounds like the bore and piston size are not right for each other leaving to much space for the piston to slap if there is already this much visible damage on a 850 mile old bike. Please keep us posted when there is more news.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I considered taking photos but the light was bad and there wasn't enough visible damage to the parts for photos to be helpful. Excessive piston/bore clearance (slop) seems the most likely cause of the problem, but that wouldn't require new part numbers - just better quality control. I will ask for the used parts when the job is completed and will measure piston/bore clearance, bore roundness, etc. and post photos.
That would be great. From what I understand there is some teflon on the new partsnumber piston now but I have now idea where and how. I don't know if there's anything changed on the cilinder.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Went to the dealer today and told them about what I heard about the piston slap issue. They didn't know but started looking right away in there computer system along with me to see if there was a bulletin.
We didn't find one about this specific issue but another one that told about an issue with the belt tension/ tensioners on the 1100 that could cause noise but that this noise should not be confused with bikes from the first series that had the issue with the noisy horizontal cilinder. As my bike is their ex demo(but the technician helping me didn't know that at the time we were looking) he said when we had the first demo we also heard a little bit of noise that wasn't what they where used to. So then I said well that is my actuall bike so at least we have an understanding that it might have the issue. He also looked into the system and said that he could see that they have new partnumbers now for the cilinder and piston as we already knew.
He is going to contact Ducati asap and will let me know what is going to happen. As it is allmost Christmas and New Year it may take some days but I expect to no more in the first week of 2020.
The good thing is that they where very helpfull and open about the whole thing and not trying to deny anything or keep things like this a secret.
I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I phoned my service manager yesterday who was aware of the problem. He said that some suffer from it and some don’t, I think we knew that. But he did say that if you don’t have it now the fault won’t develop later. He also said it is a piston problem nothing about a cylinder. So it appears there is no correct answer at the moment. :unsure:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update on my situation as well. I dropped my bike off yesterday morning for the first service and to have the piston slap issue looked at. They asked for details about the issue so I emailed them my youtube video link.

Just got a call 10 min ago saying they see the problem and they found the bulletin for it to be fixed under warranty. New piston and cylinder wall for horizontal cylinder. Ducati is closed until the new year so they will get approval from them and then begin the work. They said everything should be wrapped up by mid January if not sooner. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I phoned my service manager yesterday who was aware of the problem. He said that some suffer from it and some don’t, I think we knew that. But he did say that if you don’t have it now the fault won’t develop later. He also said it is a piston problem nothing about a cylinder. So it appears there is no correct answer at the moment. :unsure:
Both parts have new numbers and from what I understood they are always replaced as a pair. If there is something wrong the goal is to have everything fixed before the season starts next year.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Update on my situation as well. I dropped my bike off yesterday morning for the first service and to have the piston slap issue looked at. They asked for details about the issue so I emailed them my youtube video link.

Just got a call 10 min ago saying they see the problem and they found the bulletin for it to be fixed under warranty. New piston and cylinder wall for horizontal cylinder. Ducati is closed until the new year so they will get approval from them and then begin the work. They said everything should be wrapped up by mid January if not sooner. Will keep you guys posted.
That's good to hear!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a status report from the dealer yesterday (Friday 12/20) and learned that all of the parts are not in yet and they will wait until they are here before re-assembling the bike. It's been there a full month now...probably depreciated in value as much or more than the repair cost. As for giving the piston/cylinder back to me, the tech said it's up to Ducati NA - sometimes they want to see warranty parts and he has to return them. If not, he will save them for me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I got a status report from the dealer yesterday (Friday 12/20) and learned that all of the parts are not in yet and they will wait until they are here before re-assembling the bike. It's been there a full month now...probably depreciated in value as much or more than the repair cost. As for giving the piston/cylinder back to me, the tech said it's up to Ducati NA - sometimes they want to see warranty parts and he has to return them. If not, he will save them for me.
Yeah I'm guessing they are wanting the parts back. That will also insure these parts will never make it to another bike again wich imo is a good thing of course.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I'm guessing they are wanting the parts back. That will also insure these parts will never make it to another bike again wich imo is a goid thing of course.
My reason for asking to get the parts back is to measure and photograph the parts for whatever benefit other owners might gain. However, if needed, I wouldn't hesitate to use the parts again on the vertical cylinder. Though I don't suppose the vertical cylinder will ever need replacement, so I wont be keeping the parts around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just got a call 10 min ago saying they see the problem and they found the bulletin for it to be fixed under warranty.
If possible, can you see if you can get the Bulletin number for this? It would help out when trying to work with the dealer/service dept.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Was contacted by my dealer today and they said they had contact with Ducati and that they know about the issue. They asked me to make a video clip(as others also mentioned here before with their experience) and that Ducati Italy is going to judge the issue with this video and that they will let me know when they know more.
So now everything is set in motion before my warrenty runs out. I wonder when I will here the outcome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Repairs to my SCR 1100 were finished and bike returned to me today. They replaced the piston/cylinder kit and a valve, believed to have contacted the piston. I rode the bike home (35 miles), the clatter is gone, much of the vibration that annoyed me is also gone. I did a quick video and added a segment of the noise as it was before the repairs for comparison.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts