Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Skippy
From your experience and research what percentage of 1100’s have this problem? As you will be aware I’ve not been riding my bike and it’s only done 1k but I have started it many times and can’t hear any noises. I just don’t want it to happen when my warranty has expired.
My service manager said if it hasn’t happened by now it won’t happen at all.
I don't know how many bikes are affected but it only seem to be 2018 bikes. Mine is noisy and is being reviewed at the dealer as we speak. My bike always was noisy and as it is the ex demo from my dealer they already acknowledged that they found it to be noisy from the beginning. I had a call that there's probably going to be a Ducati rep dropping by to judge the issue.
If your bike is quite I wouldn't worry to much(I don't worry about mine either as I don't think it is going to explode)but I would still discuss your situation with the dealer. The warrenty is for 2 years but you do so little miles that if the issue does appear after these 2 years they should still help you, out knowing it is a known problem for the first production year bikes.
Listen to a small clip I did of my bike after I rode for an hour so it's nice and warm. I think you can hear a knocking metallic noise pretty clear esspecialy in the last couple of seconds after I rev it. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes I think I can definitely hear a “ticking” type sound on your clip, but can’t hear it from mine. Oh and yes mine is a 2018.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey guys, hope everyone is safe -

I've had my bike back for almost 5 months and I really don't even ride it anymore; I've put maybe 100 miles on it since I got it back. I can still hear the noise and after it being in the shop for 60 days and not resolved, I know I'm not going to be happy with that conclusion long term, despite what the shop told me. When the chaos of the COVID-19 passes, I am thinking seriously about trading it in on a Hypermotard 950 SP. I'm really disappointed in how this was/is being handled by Ducati for what is a widely known issue at this point. And I'll be damned if I am going to pay thousands out of pocket to fix it later on when its outside of warranty.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

I've had my bike back for almost 5 months and I really don't even ride it anymore; I've put maybe 100 miles on it since I got it back. I can still hear the noise and after it being in the shop for 60 days and not resolved, I know I'm not going to be happy with that conclusion long term, despite what the shop told me. When the chaos of the COVID-19 passes, I am thinking seriously about trading it in on a Hypermotard 950 SP. I'm really disappointed in how this was/is being handled by Ducati for what is a widely known issue at this point. And I'll be damned if I am going to pay thousands out of pocket to fix it later on when its outside of warranty.
That's sad to hear. There where some other guys that also had a dealer that didn't/couldn't/wanted to resolve the problem but at another dealer they where both helped out. Isn't there a way to have another dealer look at it or to file a complain with Ducati.
I still have to wait how my case will be handled but the bike is at the dealer now.
That you would still considder a Ducati after this amazes me. As much as I love my 1100 I won't buy another Ducati again if they won't solve it. I don't mind that a car or a bike has a problem but if doesn't get resolved in a satisfying way I'm done with it. Sad thing is this mostly depends on the dealers and it seems it's getting barder and harder to find a good one nowadays.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's sad to hear. There where some other guys that also had a dealer that didn't/couldn't/wanted to resolve the problem but at another dealer they where both helped out. Isn't there a way to have another dealer look at it or to file a complain with Ducati.
I still have to wait how my case will be handled but the bike is at the dealer now.
That you would still considder a Ducati after this amazes me. As much as I love my 1100 I won't buy another Ducati again if they won't solve it. I don't mind that a car or a bike has a problem but if doesn't get resolved in a satisfying way I'm done with it. Sad thing is this mostly depends on the dealers and it seems it's getting barder and harder to find a good one nowadays.
Thanks Skippy - I did file a complaint with Ducati North America, who I think lit the fire under the dealer to do something, (since it had been over 45 days at that point) but ultimately I think the dealer just didn't feel like fooling with a time consuming warranty issue with minimal staff. Don't get me wrong I am conflicted; I've put a ton of money into the bike with the mods I wanted, in hopes to have this bike for a long time. But it's not resolved, and at this point I dont know what else I can do to push the case with Ducati. Perhaps I can just contact Ducati directly, explain the issue is still not resolved and would request that they do the legwork and logistics to find a different place to fix it. There is a place about 2.5 hours from me that does good work, and maybe I can request they come pick it up and try to fix it. That may require me to pay out of pocket for the transportation costs, but if they can fix it, it would be worth it.

As far as buying another Ducati - I'm also a little conflicted. However, it appears that Ducati put a ton of development and refinement into the Hypermotard's 939 watercooled engine, which brings me some level of reassurance over the "proven" (and for better or worse, untouched) aircooled 1100 design which seems to have the same issue going back through the years on several different models - hence the updated parts/revision from Ducati for 2019. I also really like the Hypermotard 950 SP and was strongly considering it before I got the Scrambler 1100; the instrumentation, stance, sound, single sided swingarm, etc. are things I really like over the Scrambler.

At the end of the day if they did the work to replace the parts with the revised ones, I'd be content with that. But if the only outcome is me trying to live with the bike as is, I will have to make other arrangements. There's no point in having two bikes if you never ride the other one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Thanks Skippy - I did file a complaint with Ducati North America, who I think lit the fire under the dealer to do something, (since it had been over 45 days at that point) but ultimately I think the dealer just didn't feel like fooling with a time consuming warranty issue with minimal staff. Don't get me wrong I am conflicted; I've put a ton of money into the bike with the mods I wanted, in hopes to have this bike for a long time. But it's not resolved, and at this point I dont know what else I can do to push the case with Ducati. Perhaps I can just contact Ducati directly, explain the issue is still not resolved and would request that they do the legwork and logistics to find a different place to fix it. There is a place about 2.5 hours from me that does good work, and maybe I can request they come pick it up and try to fix it. That may require me to pay out of pocket for the transportation costs, but if they can fix it, it would be worth it.

As far as buying another Ducati - I'm also a little conflicted. However, it appears that Ducati put a ton of development and refinement into the Hypermotard's 939 watercooled engine, which brings me some level of reassurance over the "proven" (and for better or worse, untouched) aircooled 1100 design which seems to have the same issue going back through the years on several different models - hence the updated parts/revision from Ducati for 2019. I also really like the Hypermotard 950 SP and was strongly considering it before I got the Scrambler 1100; the instrumentation, stance, sound, single sided swingarm, etc. are things I really like over the Scrambler.

At the end of the day if they did the work to replace the parts with the revised ones, I'd be content with that. But if the only outcome is me trying to live with the bike as is, I will have to make other arrangements. There's no point in having two bikes if you never ride the other one.
I got called by my dealer today and they told me that the front cilinder and piston will be replaced. They needed to inspect my bike to make sure it's just the front cilinder and when they did Ducati went allong with their findings and now we just have to wait for the parts(wich may take a while with the closed factory due to the corona virus).
My dealer said that it didn't take much confincing because it's a pretty well known problem by now.
I suggest to just make the final push with Ducati and demand an other dealer for a second opinion and finally have them help you. If your bike is 2018(wich I'm sure it is) you almost surely have the old cilinder and piston wich hasn't been changed for no reason on the later models.
I don't care if Ducati made the best engine in the world in the Hypermotard, if they threat you like this they just don't deserve to sell you another bike. You put so much time and effort in it and the 1100 is still a great bike wich would be sad to see going because of a crappy dealer that won't take it's responsability.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Skippy - you're right, its worth a second try to get my current bike fixed. Even if it costs me some money in transportation, it would still be less $$$ than trading up to a Hypermotard. The logical part of me knows that's the right answer.

As far as Ducati goes, having had family friends who owned dealerships I am familiar with the inconsistencies and strong arm tactics the dealers both endure and dish out that may not be in agreement with the corporate ethos of the manufacturer. To that point, I would consider another Ducati product, because I do like their models, however, I'm not without patience either. The Triumph Speed Triple RS is a hell of a bike for the same money and more power. There's also a very skilled Triumph dealer down the street which would make servicing much more convenient. I've also not had any issues with the Triumph I owned. It was bulletproof.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks Skippy - you're right, its worth a second try to get my current bike fixed. Even if it costs me some money in transportation, it would still be less $$$ than trading up to a Hypermotard. The logical part of me knows that's the right answer.

As far as Ducati goes, having had family friends who owned dealerships I am familiar with the inconsistencies and strong arm tactics the dealers both endure and dish out that may not be in agreement with the corporate ethos of the manufacturer. To that point, I would consider another Ducati product, because I do like their models, however, I'm not without patience either. The Triumph Speed Triple RS is a hell of a bike for the same money and more power. There's also a very skilled Triumph dealer down the street which would make servicing much more convenient. I've also not had any issues with the Triumph I owned. It was bulletproof.
True. I also have the same dilemma. For now I'm staying with my Ducati and it truly is one of, if not the nicest bike I owned. But the dealers are all 2 hours away from me and that can be rather irritating as they are also very bussy all the time. I'm willing to make some offers though as long as the dealer is doing it's best but when this fails my next bike will be from a dealer 15 minutes from here wich also probably will be a Triumph or a BMW.
For now I'll will have to wait for the parts to come in.
Good luck and keep us posted. At least you've got another cool bike to ride in the mean time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
True. I also have the same dilemma. For now I'm staying with my Ducati and it truly is one of, if not the nicest bike I owned. But the dealers are all 2 hours away from me and that can be rather irritating as they are also very bussy all the time. I'm willing to make some offers though as long as the dealer is doing it's best but when this fails my next bike will be from a dealer 15 minutes from here wich also probably will be a Triumph or a BMW.
For now I'll will have to wait for the parts to come in.
Good luck and keep us posted. At least you've got another cool bike to ride in the mean time.
Thanks! Yeah our situations are very similar Skippy - the Triumph dealer near me is also a BMW, Zero, RE and Indian dealer. And while I haven't been riding the Scrambler, I have used the winter months here to spruce up the CB. I had the front and rear fenders powdercoated black, added Rizoma LED signals all the way around, and retro CB-Four badging to the side covers. I probably shouldn't admit it on a Ducati forum, but the CB gets way more attention than the Duc at this point. LOL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks! Yeah our situations are very similar Skippy - the Triumph dealer near me is also a BMW, Zero, RE and Indian dealer. And while I haven't been riding the Scrambler, I have used the winter months here to spruce up the CB. I had the front and rear fenders powdercoated black, added Rizoma LED signals all the way around, and retro CB-Four badging to the side covers. I probably shouldn't admit it on a Ducati forum, but the CB gets way more attention than the Duc at this point. LOL.
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't catch it on a previous post, but why is the dealer giving you a hard time on this again? You have the piston slap issue correct? Are they claiming they don't hear it? Are they saying they do but it's normal?

Unfortunately my dealer couldn't give me a TSB that I would tell you to reference. But have you provided them sound clips? You should have enough evidence of a recording of your bike showing the issue, and then show them a recording of one of our fixed bikes to demonstrate to them that yours does not sound right.

Or maybe you did all of that and they still said no? If so I would send the video to Ducati directly and let them explain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't catch it on a previous post, but why is the dealer giving you a hard time on this again? You have the piston slap issue correct? Are they claiming they don't hear it? Are they saying they do but it's normal?

Unfortunately my dealer couldn't give me a TSB that I would tell you to reference. But have you provided them sound clips? You should have enough evidence of a recording of your bike showing the issue, and then show them a recording of one of our fixed bikes to demonstrate to them that yours does not sound right.

Or maybe you did all of that and they still said no? If so I would send the video to Ducati directly and let them explain.
My bike was/is making the rattle, so I took it in. The dealer claimed that they went over the bike with a stethescope and made recordings of the sounds and sent them to Ducati in Italy for their analysis. After finding 'nothing' except what they described as a minor exhaust leak that they fixed, they gave me my bike back after having it for 60 days. This was after I reached out to Ducati corporate both by email and phone, (which did nothing except maybe light a fire under the dealer to finally get it back to me) and I also provided the dealer the TSB number, Ducati part numbers for the revised kit, etc. all of which did nothing.

Bottom line, none of it did any good. Ducati seemingly doesnt want to own the issue nor step up to do a formal recall. My only move now is to have another dealer provide second opinion and the closest reputable dealer/service dept is about 3 hrs away, live with the bike as is, or trade it on something else. To compound the situation, the warranty ends this May, so after that any repairs will be out of my pocket. A local Ducati shop (not a dealer) is very familiar with the issue and fix, but can't do warranty work. They assured me they can fix it, but it will cost about 1k and that I shouldnt have to pay, since its clearly a known factory defect. I've heard other estimates in the 3k range too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings all! 2018 1100 Sport here. This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading the many posts regarding the piston slap once I suspected my bike was displaying the same symptoms, and I wanted to share my experience.

I think I was on the fence about my bike having the issue till I went to my local Cycle Gear and was chatting with the associate and he said he knew I was riding a Ducati because he could hear the dry clutch! (clearly there was a noise lol) Thereafter I decided to ride it hard because if the dealer was going to have to make the case to Ducati, I wanted to make it as clear cut as possible. I took it to the dealer I bought from (Champion Honda BMW Ducati in Charleston, SC, about 2 hrs from me) in the beginning of February. When I dropped it off they made the comment that these were “just loud, even when brand new”, so I wasn’t very hopeful (I used to work in car dealers, I get it, you have to manage customer expectations). I did make sure to tell them to get it hot to hear the noise (mine was making a rattle and also a rubbing/grinding noise). After a week or so the service advisor called and said that at first they couldn’t get it to make any abnormal noises, but that they must have not gotten it hot enough because the second time they rode it much longer and made sure to get it hot. He said it sounded like it was going to explode. They said they sent their evidence to Ducati and that Ducati is very concerned with owner problems esp in the first year. Well a few weeks late the dealership called me back and said that the noise was so bad that Ducati had decided to replace BOTH cylinders and pistons! I had to ask him to repeat himself cause I hadn’t heard of them doing that before. (I guess I rode it hard enough haha) They let me know getting the parts was going to be a while, to which I replied, “no worries, I just want it done right.” (as it turns out the owner of the dealer is also the head Ducati mechanic and he was working on my bike, pretty cool!) So a couple of weeks ago I finally got the call saying it was ready but they found another rattle and suspected it was the catalytic converter, so they were going to replace it as well. They then called Monday and said it was ready to go!

I am excited to get the bike back (haven’t been riding unfortunately!), and curious to see how different it will feel. I know some others have not had good experiences so I feel like I am lucky to have found a reputable dealer that hopefully does good work. I understand that problems can happen with any bike, so the response by the dealer and the OEM are what really matters and in this regard, I have been happy, even though I have been without my bike for a while. I am telling myself that I have a handbuilt motor now!😁

Sorry for the long post! I tried to provide details in the hope that it helps anyone else who is having the problem.

Heres a link to the before. You can really hear it up by the handle bars. The oil would get super frothy, and there would also be a metal on metal grinding noise

I will be sure to update when I get the bike back (hopefully) this weekend. I also wonder if there will be another break-in oil change involved? I would imagine...

Josh

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Greetings all! 2018 1100 Sport here. This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading the many posts regarding the piston slap once I suspected my bike was displaying the same symptoms, and I wanted to share my experience.

I think I was on the fence about my bike having the issue till I went to my local Cycle Gear and was chatting with the associate and he said he knew I was riding a Ducati because he could hear the dry clutch! (clearly there was a noise lol) Thereafter I decided to ride it hard because if the dealer was going to have to make the case to Ducati, I wanted to make it as clear cut as possible. I took it to the dealer I bought from (Champion Honda BMW Ducati in Charleston, SC, about 2 hrs from me) in the beginning of February. When I dropped it off they made the comment that these were “just loud, even when brand new”, so I wasn’t very hopeful (I used to work in car dealers, I get it, you have to manage customer expectations). I did make sure to tell them to get it hot to hear the noise (mine was making a rattle and also a rubbing/grinding noise). After a week or so the service advisor called and said that at first they couldn’t get it to make any abnormal noises, but that they must have not gotten it hot enough because the second time they rode it much longer and made sure to get it hot. He said it sounded like it was going to explode. They said they sent their evidence to Ducati and that Ducati is very concerned with owner problems esp in the first year. Well a few weeks late the dealership called me back and said that the noise was so bad that Ducati had decided to replace BOTH cylinders and pistons! I had to ask him to repeat himself cause I hadn’t heard of them doing that before. (I guess I rode it hard enough haha) They let me know getting the parts was going to be a while, to which I replied, “no worries, I just want it done right.” (as it turns out the owner of the dealer is also the head Ducati mechanic and he was working on my bike, pretty cool!) So a couple of weeks ago I finally got the call saying it was ready but they found another rattle and suspected it was the catalytic converter, so they were going to replace it as well. They then called Monday and said it was ready to go!

I am excited to get the bike back (haven’t been riding unfortunately!), and curious to see how different it will feel. I know some others have not had good experiences so I feel like I am lucky to have found a reputable dealer that hopefully does good work. I understand that problems can happen with any bike, so the response by the dealer and the OEM are what really matters and in this regard, I have been happy, even though I have been without my bike for a while. I am telling myself that I have a handbuilt motor now!😁

Sorry for the long post! I tried to provide details in the hope that it helps anyone else who is having the problem.

Heres a link to the before. You can really hear it up by the handle bars. The oil would get super frothy, and there would also be a metal on metal grinding noise

I will be sure to update when I get the bike back (hopefully) this weekend. I also wonder if there will be another break-in oil change involved? I would imagine...

Josh
Good post and happy it got fixed. It defenitely doesn't sound good and I hear some of the same noises that my bike made.
I hope it is all better now and am looking forward to the after video.
Mine is at the dealer awaiting parts wich might take a while with the Italian lock down. Good point on the brake in oil change btw.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Josh
Josh,

Thanks for sharing your account and I am relieved to hear that they made it right. Since your engine is basically brand new, I agree with doing another break in/service when the time comes. I think you can also have piece of mind knowing its been put together right this time!

Given the problem seems to be more widespread than just a handful of 2018s, I wish Ducati would just make it a formal recall instead of leaving it up to the dealer's discretion. I see leaving it up to the dealership as only prolonging the issue, because in many ways they are 'disincentivized' from finding anything wrong as warranty work is not something they cherish.

FWIW, mine still makes the same noises and sounds like yours in the video. I dont feel any reduction of power or other issues; it still pulls really hard. It is just the noises. I did ride it to work a couple of times last week and oddly enough at 6k or so rpms on the freeway, it is as smooth as glass. It's only at idle or in the mid range where I hear the rattles/grinding. The dealer where I took mine said "everything has been documented in the system, so if it goes bad in the future, you'll be covered" but I take that with a grain of salt. Oh well. Glad I have a second bike.

Funny side story: A friend of mine used to have an older Ducati with a dry clutch and one day he was pulling into a gas station, dry clutch chattering, these guys on sport bikes came running over to him and said "Damn bro, your bike is hella broke!" :LOL:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh i forgot to mention I have right at 2k miles on the bike. I am fine with taking it back in for another oil change, which i am sure they will want me to do. To be honest I wasn't plan on waiting the full 7.5k to change the oil and filter anyway, I was planning on splitting the difference and do inbetween changes myself.

So yours is making the grinding too? Interesting... i'm not sure what that noise has to do with the slap but I hope it is resolved as well.

I agree that they should probably just issue the recall. I wonder if they think that doing it this way wont publicize the issue? Or maybe hoping many owners will just assume thats normal for these motors? Which is sad because it seems like a lot of dealers are dodging having to do the work. Having worked at a automotive dealer I understand that warranty work pays peanuts but it can make it very hard on the customer.

Great story! it sounds silly but i kinda thought having a dry clutch on these would be pretty sweet. It's my first Duc so i am getting into all the "charachter" of these bikes lol.

And good luck with your Scrambler! I'm glad you've got the Honda to ride:sneaky:

·
Registered
4 Posts

Let me know how you like the 950. The force is strong with that one...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts