Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all I have been discussing this subject elsewhere and due to being in lockdown I’ve had time to check out this forum over the dreaded Ducati scrambler 1100 front cylinder issues. I have owned the scrambler 1100 since the middle of 2018 and after a few months of ownership it developed a knock from the base of the front cylinder and it was definitely piston slap. So I took it straight back to Ducati dealer and they didn’t take any persuasion to get it sorted saying Ducati recognise it as a problem an they will order new parts confirming it’s some issue with the cylinder and piston. So they fixed the problem and delivered my bike back and also showed me the old cylinder and piston, both were scratched down the walls and explained that the new piston had an inserted Teflon plate on a section of the piston side wall. Anyway the engine sounded spot on up until a few weeks ago when I started it and ran it for a few minutes to get the engine warm and noticed I tapping from the front cylinder. Oh no not again, but then when I listened closely it sounded more top end noise so I’m hoping desmo is just noisy which I’m told is normal. Ducati definitely have a problem with these engines ( not bikes) as from my experience with my 1100 it’s fantastic and a sports bike muncher especially on the twisties. A question; has anyone got the 2019 and have there been same issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot to add that I’ve never seen another 1100 and neither has any other biker I talk to !! Strange

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Forgot to add that I’ve never seen another 1100 and neither has any other biker I talk to !! Strange
Yeah over here in the Netherlands they sold less then 40 I think so you won't run into another one pretty often. I don't think the 1100 is the sales succes that the 800 was. Personally I think that's a good thing;)
Good to hear you didn't have any problems getting it fixed(my dealer was also very coopparative but sadly this isn't the case everywhere)but it's still a Ducati so who knows what's making noise now. Might be the valve train as it is very noisy anyway, maybe a change in the valve clearance is causing the extra noise. I've also heard of extra noise caused by the wrong tension on the belts.
Hope you keep us posted if you find the cause of this noise.
And you're right, apart from the problems with engine(wich is a bid odd knowing how long they are making the L twin), the 1100 Scrambler is a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah skippy73 possibly the tension on the belt as it just so happens the mechanic did mention he had to adjust once he had been out on it for a test ride. People are saying the engine is the old monster engine so if you think about it didnt it have the dry sump and very noisy so isn’t it possible that even if the monster had a cylinder noise it wouldn’t be easy to detect. Correct me if I’m wrong. I lived in China for 8 years and while there saw the increase of motorbike sales go through the roof even though they are kind of illegal ish but I never did see a Ducati, maybe because almost all bikes are imported from Japan. I’m trying to convince my chinese bike friends that the Scrambler is a good option for them. Sorry went slightly off subject

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yeah skippy73 possibly the tension on the belt as it just so happens the mechanic did mention he had to adjust once he had been out on it for a test ride. People are saying the engine is the old monster engine so if you think about it didnt it have the dry sump and very noisy so isn’t it possible that even if the monster had a cylinder noise it wouldn’t be easy to detect. Correct me if I’m wrong. I lived in China for 8 years and while there saw the increase of motorbike sales go through the roof even though they are kind of illegal ish but I never did see a Ducati, maybe because almost all bikes are imported from Japan. I’m trying to convince my chinese bike friends that the Scrambler is a good option for them. Sorry went slightly off subject
I think you mean the dry clutch? But yes the original motor had this and it certainly makes a lot of noise esspecialy if you put on an open cover.The piston slap has been a problem in Ducati engines forever probably but sometimes worse then others. Many other brands have the same problems so I'm not quite sure what to think of it but hearing yours had also scratched surfaces in such a short time it might be worse then normal on the first 1100 Scrambler models.
I imagine a Ducati is quite an expensive choice in China but they do sell them there if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
heres the video
ps:sry about the resolution
You know, I had mine fixed and I can still hear what you are demonstrating in your video up above 2k and then it goes away around 4k rpms even after the fix. You should record a video of your bike idling. It was very apparent for me then, and its gone now after the fix.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure how to delete a post, this one was created by mistake and I don't see a way to delete it now haha. Sorry.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Picked up my bike today after it's been at the dealer since the end of Februari. Parts took a while due to the Corona crisis but now it's finally done and boy what a difference it makes. The bike runs really smooth and sounds so much better. The harsh metallic knocking/banging noise is gone . The ride home was a real joy, now you only hear the deep roar from the Akra's and the typical mechanical noise from the desmo valve train. The engine also feels way nicer while riding the bike, just a lot smoother and "rounder"Happy it all turned out well.
20200530_122315.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Picked up my bike today after it's been at the dealer since the end of Februari. Parts took a while due to the Corona crisis but now it's finally done and boy what a difference it makes. The bike runs really smooth and sounds so much better. The harsh metallic knocking/banging noise is gone . The ride home was a real joy, now you only hear the deep roar from the Akra's and the typical mechanical noise from the desmo valve train. The engine also feels way nicer while riding the bike, just a lot smoother and "rounder"Happy it all turned out well.
View attachment 44944
Great to hear Skippy!!!

I'm curious. What exactly is the demo noise, and when is it heard? I'm wondering if it's what I hear around 3k rpms which comes and goes.

I dont hear it above 4k rpms. It's almost like a resonating rpm that has a tapping sound. Comes on around 2.5k and is loudest at 3k then goes away.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Good to hear Skippy.
Been out on mine now trying to learn how to use my push button quick shifter, it takes some alterations in riding style, but I’m learning slowly.
FatalBert from what you are describing it sounds like the rev range the exhaust servo motor operates in. Do you still have that?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Great to hear Skippy!!!

I'm curious. What exactly is the demo noise, and when is it heard? I'm wondering if it's what I hear around 3k rpms which comes and goes.

I dont hear it above 4k rpms. It's almost like a resonating rpm that has a tapping sound. Comes on around 2.5k and is loudest at 3k then goes away.
The desmo sound is just the rythmical ticking noise of the valves opening and closing probably caused by the cam followers. It's pretty much always there but better audible at lower speeds I guess. But if the rpm's go up or down the rythem of the ticking follows so it's nit like resonation or anything.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Good to hear Skippy.
Been out on mine now trying to learn how to use my push button quick shifter, it takes some alterations in riding style, but I’m learning slowly.
FatalBert from what you are describing it sounds like the rev range the exhaust servo motor operates in. Do you still have that?
We need pictures and a seperate thread on your quick shifter Sir.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Gratifying isn't it. Congratulations! Now enjoy.
I sure will. I never stopped enjoying the bike but it's even so much nicer now.
Thanks to the effort from people like you and your excellent video I was able to catch and get this solved in time before the warenty ran out(y)🙏

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I come from Germany and I am new to this forum. I have already read a lot here about the noise problem and would therefore like to share my experience with it here. I drive a Scrambler 1100 Sport with EZ 04/2019.
Since this rattling in the speed range of approx. 2000 - 3500 rpm is increasingly taking away the fun of the motorcycle, I wrote to Ducati in February 2020 and urged that the problem be remedied. I then got an appointment with my dealer on March 19, 2018.
After 2 months in the workshop, which was probably also caused by the Corona Lockdown, I got my vehicle back.
Both cylinders and pistons were replaced in accordance with Ducati specifications. Unfortunately, this measure did not change the existing problem. The rattling / ringing noise in the mentioned speed range remains unchanged, which also increasingly frustrates the workshop master. I find it really disappointing that a premium manufacturer with all its possibilities is unable to solve this common problem with this type of engine in a period of almost a year. Unfortunately, I suspect that there is no real interest in solving problems in the interests of the customer.
I then confronted Ducati again with the situation and am very excited to see its answer.

regards, Mike

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Hello,
I come from Germany and I am new to this forum. I have already read a lot here about the noise problem and would therefore like to share my experience with it here. I drive a Scrambler 1100 Sport with EZ 04/2019.
Since this rattling in the speed range of approx. 2000 - 3500 rpm is increasingly taking away the fun of the motorcycle, I wrote to Ducati in February 2020 and urged that the problem be remedied. I then got an appointment with my dealer on March 19, 2018.
After 2 months in the workshop, which was probably also caused by the Corona Lockdown, I got my vehicle back.
Both cylinders and pistons were replaced in accordance with Ducati specifications. Unfortunately, this measure did not change the existing problem. The rattling / ringing noise in the mentioned speed range remains unchanged, which also increasingly frustrates the workshop master. I find it really disappointing that a premium manufacturer with all its possibilities is unable to solve this common problem with this type of engine in a period of almost a year. Unfortunately, I suspect that there is no real interest in solving problems in the interests of the customer.
I then confronted Ducati again with the situation and am very excited to see its answer.

regards, Mike
I wonder if your problem was the same as your bike is from 2019. From what I understood these models already had the revised cilinder and piston. Mine is now back and the slapping noise is gone but the engine will always remain pretty noisy. I shot a video today and one before the replacement of the front cilinder and piston. In both video's there's a lot of mechanical noise but the piston slap sound, wich to me is clearly audible, is gone. I'll post them so anybody can tell what they think. I think the bike runs great right now and also feels much smoother then before. I hope your problem gets resolved.
Before:
After:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
From the 2 clips the sound definitely seems to have disappeared.
Yes if you know what you're listening for it is pretty clear but the mics on these smartphones pick up so much mechanical noise from the valve train that it sounds way different in real live.

·
Registered
212 Posts
View attachment 44944

Glad you got it back and she's running as good as new Skippy!

Reactions: Skippy'73

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello,

regards, Mike
Mike, thanks for sharing your experience. I am glad they at least did the cylinder replacement; after having my bike for two months the dealer did nothing and it still makes the noise. I contacted Ducati corporate as well, to no avail. As I bought my bike in May 2018, I am now officially outside of warranty, so the concern here is should something major occur, it will be out of my pocket.

This is my first Ducati and I am very disappointed in how Ducati is ignoring this problem. As it has been discussed, this is a very low volume seller and they could easily issue an across the board recall and fix it - specifically the 2018s that did not have the revised cylinder design of the later models. But they wont. They're continuing to handle this inconsistently and case by case, and depending on the dealership, they either try to do the right thing and replace the cylinders, or they ignore it and play the odds that if it fails, it will then be on the owner despite it being a now known factory defect.

I'm completely torn because I love the bike and finally got it the way I want it, but the noise does take away from the experience of riding it, even though it has no noticeable loss of power.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts