Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My motorcycle's first registration is 03/2019, but I guess it hibernated at the dealer and the construction year is probably 2018. I agree with Skippy that it may be a different problem, since the machine does not produce this noise when idling. Obviously Ducati don't know exactly what the problem is, otherwise they wouldn't be swapping parts without a plan. Unfortunately it seems to me, as if nobody has seriously dealt with the problem there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
My motorcycle's first registration is 03/2019, but I guess it hibernated at the dealer and the construction year is probably 2018. I agree with Skippy that it may be a different problem, since the machine does not produce this noise when idling. Obviously Ducati don't know exactly what the problem is, otherwise they wouldn't be swapping parts without a plan. Unfortunately it seems to me, as if nobody has seriously dealt with the problem there.
Ah I confused your date for a production date. But EZ probably stands for Erst Zulassung...
Your best bet is probably to look for some kind of Ducati guru/doctor/legend in your country or maybe the Netherlands(I know we have at least a couple of those over here)to hear what they think. Sometimes the guys who know these engines inside and out and have been wrenching on these things sinds the 70's know way more then the authorised dealers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Mike, thanks for sharing your experience. I am glad they at least did the cylinder replacement; after having my bike for two months the dealer did nothing and it still makes the noise. I contacted Ducati corporate as well, to no avail. As I bought my bike in May 2018, I am now officially outside of warranty, so the concern here is should something major occur, it will be out of my pocket.

This is my first Ducati and I am very disappointed in how Ducati is ignoring this problem. As it has been discussed, this is a very low volume seller and they could easily issue an across the board recall and fix it - specifically the 2018s that did not have the revised cylinder design of the later models. But they wont. They're continuing to handle this inconsistently and case by case, and depending on the dealership, they either try to do the right thing and replace the cylinders, or they ignore it and play the odds that if it fails, it will then be on the owner despite it being a now known factory defect.

I'm completely torn because I love the bike and finally got it the way I want it, but the noise does take away from the experience of riding it, even though it has no noticeable loss of power.
I'm realy bummed that it hasn't worked out for you. I don't know how consumer rights work in the US but if a problem is this big sometimes they have to honor such a claim even though your warenty ran out. Also your claim was well made within the warenty period so I feel they shouldn't be able to get out of it that easy. I do know that two brothers over here also first had theire own dealer that didn't help them but another Ducati dealer helped them out. I will dm you the name of that dealer. Even if they are far away from you they might be able to help in another way. I still feel you should be helped out with this problem. Also I wonder if there is a consumer organisation that could help you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked up my bike today after it's been at the dealer since the end of Februari. Parts took a while due to the Corona crisis but now it's finally done and boy what a difference it makes. The bike runs really smooth and sounds so much better. The harsh metallic knocking/banging noise is gone . The ride home was a real joy, now you only hear the deep roar from the Akra's and the typical mechanical noise from the desmo valve train. The engine also feels way nicer while riding the bike, just a lot smoother and "rounder"Happy it all turned out well.
View attachment 44944
congrats Skippy, glad to hear that your bike get fixed, I'm still waiting for parts. seems it going to be a long waiting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if my 2018 Ducati Scrambler 1100 has the piston slap issue. I bought it a month ago from the dealership. It was a demo model that had 1300km on it. I have since put another 1000km on it (2300km total). Warrenty still has a year on it but I cant tell if the sound is the classic desmo valves or if its the piston slap issue. I linked a video, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Not sure if my 2018 Ducati Scrambler 1100 has the piston slap issue. I bought it a month ago from the dealership. It was a demo model that had 1300km on it. I have since put another 1000km on it (2300km total). Warrenty still has a year on it but I cant tell if the sound is the classic desmo valves or if its the piston slap issue. I linked a video, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Based on this I would say yours sounds pretty healthy. I don't hear a knocking sound. I'm no expert though and only based on the video.
Here's mine before and after, see if you hear the difference and if so you'll know what to look out for.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Based on this I would say yours sounds pretty healthy. I don't hear a knocking sound. I'm no expert though and only based on the video.
Here's mine before and after, see if you hear the difference and if so you'll know what to look out for.
Thanks Skippy, I can definitely hear the difference. Mine sounded just like yours before the fix. That hollow metallic pinging.

Reactions: Skippy'73

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do not hear the piston slap in "N's" recording either, but as long as he has written proof of his request and Ducati's refusal to address the problem -- and the engine eats it's self, he is on good legal grounds to have them fix it.
As to the year model of his 1100 Scrambler, reading the VIN from the left, the 10th character tells the year model of the vehicle. If there's a "J" in 10th position, the bike is a 2018. If there's a "K" in the 10th position, it was built in 2019. From VIN Lookup - How to Decode your VIN | Edmunds here are the model years since 2000: Y=2000, 1='01, 2='02, 3='03, 4='04, 5='05, 6='06, 7='07, 8='08, 9='09, A='10, B='11, C='12, D='13, E='14, F='15, G='16, H='17, J='18, K='19, L='20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do we know a date range where the issue exists? I just purchased a 2018 used, I did not hear anything wrong when I test rode it, but am worried I may be out of warranty. The bike only has 290 miles on it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do we know a date range where the issue exists? I just purchased a 2018 used, I did not hear anything wrong when I test rode it, but am worried I may be out of warranty. The bike only has 290 miles on it.
I believe the piston slap issue only impacts the 2018s. Ducati revised the parts for the 2019 model year, they even have a different part number than the 2018s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Low miles doesn't seem to be a factor. My Scrambler had 5 miles on the odometer when I bought it and the noise/vibration was present from then, though I thought it was "normal" for a Ducati. It wasn't until I took it in for the 600 mile oil change and asked the mechanic if that was normal that I found out it wasn't.
My remark about "legal grounds" is wrong if your bike is "out of warranty". The two year warranty period starts when the motorcycle is first sold to an owner (not the dealer). You can get that original sale date from your dealer and learn how much, if any warranty is remaining. Dealer owned demonstration bikes usually come with the full warranty unless the sales agreement says otherwise, so the date of sale to the first owner starts the warranty too.
Other than that Ducati dealers will respond to "piston slap" complaints about model year "2018" and that the piston/cylinder assembly part number changed in 2019, we don't actually know much about the problem. We don't even know whether the problem causes serious damage now or in the future - or if it's merely annoying because of the noise and Ducati decided it was better to fix it than fight complaints on the internet..
So far, the only information we have (from owners) is that the piston slap is noisy and may also cause vibrations (and in my case, the vibration was likely to have been caused by the exhaust valve hitting the piston and was replaced at the same time the piston kit was). I haven't seen any reports of deteriorated performance, loss of compression, crankshaft damage attributable to metal shavings from the cylinder/piston wear, etc. so it might all be overblown.
Honestly, if the engine isn't noisy and doesn't vibrate, I'd leave it alone. And if it's out of warranty, considering the cost of the repair, I'd definitely leave it alone no matter how it sounds and hope for the best.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts