Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.I'm from Germany and follow this thread for a while now. I want to share my experience so far. I bought a scrambler 1100 ( produced in december 2019 ). It has piston slap right from the start. The actual informations i got, are from my Ducati dealer. But this is all unofficial. So,all 1100 got this problem . Including MY 2019. The replacement of the cylinders and pistons seem to be luck or not effective. Now Ducati changed the manufacturer of the cylinders.My local dealer Said,that they received the first new cylinders now and i get new informations from him,when they repaired the first customer bike. This should happen in the end of September.

Sorry for my bad english.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello
Last week the cylinder and piston of my Scrambler 1100 Special, year of construction 2018 was changed. Now it sounds much better, a slight rattling in the standing cylinder is still easily audible.
The mechanic showed me the old cylinder and it had MUCH running marks! With only 5600 km!!! The piston did not look good either!
Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures of it!
I find this already VERY alarming! Ducati knows the problem and only helps if you complain!
Greetings
Thomas

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hello
Last week the cylinder and piston of my Scrambler 1100 Special, year of construction 2018 was changed. Now it sounds much better, a slight rattling in the standing cylinder is still easily audible.
The mechanic showed me the old cylinder and it had MUCH running marks! With only 5600 km!!! The piston did not look good either!
Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures of it!
I find this already VERY alarming! Ducati knows the problem and only helps if you complain!
Greetings
Thomas
You're absolutely right on this being very alarming. It must be the VAG influence as they are always swiping problems under the rug on their many engine problems on their cars to.
I think it's appaling that they are handling it this way and that customers are dependent of the dealer on if they get the work done. Still love the bike though but this hole business is certainly effecting future choices when buying a new bike. Sadly nowadays all brands seem to have problems so it looks like getting rid of your bike before it goes bust seems to be the way to go.
All of this is why I started this thread and why I also reach out to owners on Instagram to inform them on the whole situation and helping them get the problem fixed before the warenty runs out. On the other hand it probably hurts resale in the future but this way the chance of many bikes getting the work done is the biggest.
So please keep passing this info on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
<SNIP> On the other hand it probably hurts resale in the future
I don't think Scrambler 1100 re-sale value will be much affected by piston slap Skippy. First, if your bike has it, there doesn't seem to be any particular consequence other than a strange noise - on an engine known to make strange noises. No Scrambler I know of with piston slap has had anything like a piston failure, excessive blow-by/loss of compression or performance. I guess time will tell if that stays true. And it is not a safety issue. So, other than a mildly annoying clatter, what's the problem? Second, motorcycle valuation resources (Kelley Blue Book or NADA in the U.S.) probably wouldn't take notice of real world price drops (if they happen) for a minor model of a minor manufacturer - and would continue using whatever depreciation algorhythms they have to set values. Finally, actual condition of the motorcycle (including if it has bad tires, cosmetic damage, piston slap, etc.) will determine which "book" value (poor, fair, good, excellent) applies to each bike at the time it's offered for sale. So, whether a prospective buyer knows about Scrambler 1100 piston slap or not, they can judge for themselves (or hire an expert to judge) the condition of the Scrambler they are considering and make an offer accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I doubt very much that this phenomenon does not harm the engine after having seen the running surface of my old cylinder and the piston!
In some places the cross sanding was already gone and that means the oil film was broken off!
I have seen the cylinder of a KTM 640 which did not look so bad after 60000 km!
Greetings Thomas

·
Registered
43 Posts
I doubt very much that this phenomenon does not harm the engine after having seen the running surface of my old cylinder and the piston!
In some places the cross sanding was already gone and that means the oil film was broken off!
I have seen the cylinder of a KTM 640 which did not look so bad after 60000 km!
Greetings Thomas
I'm not a professional mechanic Thomas, so here is an educated discussion of the topic: What Is Piston Slap, And Will It Harm My Car? The author does agree piston slap can be dangerous to an engine, but only when it persists when the engine is hot or when accelerating. Otherwise it's merely annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem is that our engine is air-cooled. When I stood at the traffic light in summer at 35 degrees the engine sounded horrible! I was asked if I needed help because the piston was rattling so loud.
I have seen the consequences on the cylinder now.
But I think it is much worse how Ducati behaves! The dealers make statements that one could burst with rage! In Italy I was told that Ducati had developed THIS clatter to imitate the sound of a dry clutch.
Of course there can and may be problems - but then you have to communicate and solve them openly!
In the past this was not the case with Ducati - but since they belong to VW it seems to be normal!
Very sad! I decided to keep the scramblers for myself and to put them in my living room sometime. As a motorcycle for everyday use I have now ordered the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX.
Greetings
Thomas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi again!

I got my bike back from the dealer. The check engine light was caused by a faulty kickstand sensor and they replaced it.

However, because the didn't take the bike to the road to warm it up, couldn't hear any strange noises in the engine.

I recorded this today after a 10km commute:

Sent it to the dealer and they told me I'll get an answer as fast as possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still waiting for the dealers response. In the meantime, I properly recorded the engine sound using a Zoom recorder.

Cold engine sound (sounds ok to me):

Warm engine sound (sounds weird to me):

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate this clattering by now :)
In the meantime the horizontal cylinder and piston have been exchanged - now you can hear it from the vertical cylinder :-(
This never ends!
Back to the dealer, again the whole circus :-(

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Absolutely hear a clanging sound. Cold and warm btw. It's not as loud as it was on my bike but it is there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You're absolutely right on this being very alarming. It must be the VAG influence as they are always swiping problems under the rug on their many engine problems on their cars to.
I think it's appaling that they are handling it this way and that customers are dependent of the dealer on if they get the work done. Still love the bike though but this hole business is certainly effecting future choices when buying a new bike. Sadly nowadays all brands seem to have problems so it looks like getting rid of your bike before it goes bust seems to be the way to go.
All of this is why I started this thread and why I also reach out to owners on Instagram to inform them on the whole situation and helping them get the problem fixed before the warenty runs out. On the other hand it probably hurts resale in the future but this way the chance of many bikes getting the work done is the biggest.
So please keep passing this info on.
I agree with you Skippy. And Piston Slap is absolutely the reason I got rid of my 1100 as Ducati refused to do anything about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer it’s still waiting for the parts. The good news is Ducati will replace both cylinders with the new 2020 version. Will record a new video once it’s fixed for good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My local dealer Said,that they received the first new cylinders now and i get new informations from him,when they repaired the first customer bike. This should happen in the end of September.
Hi Rauchi, an news from your dealer? I am curious if there's any solution. Oh and by the way, what area of Germany is your dealer located in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Floyd. The Last Thing i Heard was,that they fixed the Bike of the other customer.he wanted to give Feedback to the Shop,when He reached 1000km with the new cylinders.maybe He did not this year. My Dealer is in Bochum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the dreaded piston slap on the front cylinder of my 2018 1100. I was led to believe it was a batch of pistons that were at the very limits of Ducati spec and when there is a little wear they slap like a good un. My dealer had it in the workshop and straight away confirmed it and also checked that the engine number was within those that were fitted with the bad batch of pistons. It has now had a new piston and barrel fitted under warranty and all is good.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts