Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

· Registered
1,531 Posts
For a good road tire, I'd encourage a look at the Avon Storm 3D. I have 7,000 miles on mine, and they look like they could go as many more. I'll try to remember to post up a picture.

Sarah

· Registered
182 Posts
Thanks. I am going to give them a try soon and hopefully they make the ride smoother. I don't really need to go off road, just need a good road tyre. Unfortunately in 18" there are not a lot option.
The stiffer sidewalls of the Scorpions will not give a smoother ride. I am using Scorpions because I want a 'road' tyre that will resist puncturing when I ride the rough and rocky gravel road that leads to where I live. Suggest you take Sarah's advice or consider other ST tyres such as Michelin PRs or Pirelli Angels for a smoother road tyre. I believe both the tyres I have mentioned offer correctly sized 18" fronts.

· Registered
39 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has posted about the Pirelli Angel GT. I just got a set for my bike since I ride aggressive and don't go off road. Got about 3k miles on my stockers and the rear is at 3/32. Still a little bit of life but rather replace them before they are shot. I should have them installed in about 2 or 3 weeks.

· Registered
114 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has posted about the Pirelli Angel GT. I just got a set for my bike since I ride aggressive and don't go off road. Got about 3k miles on my stockers and the rear is at 3/32. Still a little bit of life but rather replace them before they are shot. I should have them installed in about 2 or 3 weeks.
I went through two sets of MT60s. 4000 mikes per set. Now have 4000 miles on the Angel GTs. I am much happier. I don’t ride off road. But they handle great on the street. I expect about 8000 miles before replacing.

· Registered
39 Posts
I went through two sets of MT60s. 4000 mikes per set. Now have 4000 miles on the Angel GTs. I am much happier. I don’t ride off road. But they handle great on the street. I expect about 8000 miles before replacing.
Nice, I'm more concerned with performance so how's that in your opinion? Is there anything that is better about the MT60s than the Angels? I ride relatively aggressively and care the most about cornering. I honestly don't have any complaints about the MT60s as far as grip and performance goes.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks bud, I almost went with the Shinkos but sprung for the Avons because of the good reviews. Your bike looks great!
How did the Avon Trailriders work out after you had the front one remounted?
I have an aversion (hatred would be a better word) to Pirelli tyres in general and will be looking to change the OEM ones fairly quickly. I have had Avon Tailriders and both my last Triumph Tigers and love, absolutely love them. Fantastic grip wet and dry, great lifespan and work more than okay in dirt for a 90/10 tyre. The Trailriders make the OEM Metzelar (owned by Pirelli) tyres look, wear and feel like a couple of worn out rubber bands. They are my first choice for the Scrambler so I'm keen to hear from people who have used them.

· Registered
36 Posts
Maybe we should define "soft".

Soft as in grippy, or soft as in pliable (carcass stiffness)?

If it's the latter you could always experiment with tire pressures....
Yes that is what I did. I mostly ride in town and the roads here are not that good. With recommended tyre pressure the bike was very jumpy. Went about 20% down front and back and the bike became much "softer" to ride. No issues with safety if you just cruise around town. Of course not recommended for touring or spirited riding. Ducatis in general are very stiff. They all have sporty dna. If you are like me and want to take it easy now and then you could play around with the tyre pressure.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts