Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice it has happened that I’ve ridden the interstate for 10-15 minutes at around 70mph and then got onto a back road with some hills and upon applying heavy throttle the bike just starts cutting out. I have to let off and it sort of regains composure but if I try to give it more throttle it does it again. The first it time it happened I pulled over and let the bike sit and once I restarted the problem was gone. It did it again yesterday and I tried clutching and reviving the engine and it seemed to solve the problem but we stopped shortly after I tried so not sure if it completely fixed the problem. Anyone else have this issue and if so were you able to solve it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
This could be fuel starvation. Your vent to the fuel tank may be blocked or partially blocked. On a steady throttle you are just getting by but once you start asking for more fuel the supply dies due to vacuum in the tank.
I´d try clearing the fuel breather as a start and see if it cures it.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The fuel pump can suck a tank vacuum if the breather is blocked up to the point where it damages the underside of the tank. (we've seen that before on this forum).

I would look at the fuel filter/pump instead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never noticed any vacuum on the fuel cap. The previous owner did remove the evap can so it’s possible that he may have kinked the breather hose when he put everything back in place. I’ll check on it when I get time in the next couple days. Hopefully it’s not a problem with the pump. Checked on pricing just in case and it’s over $700... think I paid a little over a hundred bucks for the last one I put in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would make sure that the PO did the Evap delete correctly... Breather hose for the tank needs to be extended and routed with the other tubes near the shifter, and the vacuum line needs to be plugged.

Sounds like you are experiencing the same issue a lot of us have, tank vacuum. Make sure the breather is unobstructed, and it should help A LOT.

I said this on another thread, but I removed the 2 bolts at the rear of the tank to get a visual on the tubes. A small one, which is the overflow, and then a large one, which is the breather. Both of my tubes went forward towards the triple clamp then to the right, then looped around all those wires before heading to the left side of the bike. I fiddled with them for 10 minutes or so and got them to just go directly to the left, rather than looping around the wires. I also made sure they weren't kinked by blowing a small amount of air into both tubes with my mouth. If you can't move any air, that line is blocked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts