Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those people (Albie, Jerry, Little Owl and others) who have replaced their rear shock.
It was mentioned some time ago that the bottom mount (apparently its called the Silenbloc) on somebodies shock was almost worn out when they removed it to fit their new aftermarket shock.
Could I hear from anybody else who has noticed this.
Is it a common problem ?.
The reason I ask is because I am seriously thinking of getting my shock rebuilt. While I have no doubts about the Suspension shop that is doing the work, I am concerned that I/we wont be able to see if I have a problem with the lower mounting eyelet as the bike has only done 700 Klms and the problem may not have shown up by then.
I will also put this on the other Scrambler forum.
Kind regards - Ray.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Well, Ray, I was the one that reported the lower shock mount silentabloc bush deforming and cracking up, I've taken it to the dealers for a warranty claim, but not heard back from them yet,
It's quite true you can't see the problem until you remove the shock, I suggest it should be checked say around 2,000 miles, and if it's ok , well just carry on and ride it, but keep an eye on it in the future,

Once I get notification from Ducati, I'll post it on the forum

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elvisto for your reply. My problem is if I spend around 450 - 500 Aus dollars on the shock at 700 Klms and then at (say) 2000 Klm the silentabloc is smelly, I am up shite creek without a paddle. Not sure whether to risk rebuilding the OEM shock or just buying a new shock (say Nitron) and be done with it.
Regards - Ray.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Well you already know my choice Ray, ;)

But did you read where I said the silentabloc bush wasn't available separately from Ducati , I asked my dealer, he said the original shock was £380 for a replacement,
Makes the Nitron R series seem quite cheap in comparison and fully rebuildable , and doesn't need a rubber bush at the bottom ,
To be quite honest if I'd have been happy with the standard shock and had noticed the rubber bush had deteriorated , I would have pressed it out, and turned one up out of nylon/delrin, or even PTFE,

·
Registered
178 Posts
With the reasonable price of the Nitron and Shock Factory items, I don't think it's worth spending on the standard factory shock as you'll still end up with a preload adjustable only shock. I replaced the shock on my wife's bike at 1,200 miles with no noticeable wear on the lower mount.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I also wouldn't bother spending out on the stock shock, the Nitron is set up for your weight and use, and as Joe Bar says is far more adjustable than the original. My silentablock bush was in good condition but I still wouldn't have kept it due to the awful ride the stock suspension was giving me :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts