Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the locksmith with a set of freshly cut replacement keys for my Desert Sled, though having some trouble getting them to program in.

I'm following the instructions on page 229 of the Scrambler 800 workshop manual, but no luck. Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
759 Posts
"Key duplication

When a customer needs spare keys, he/she shall contact a Ducati authorised service centre and bring all keys he/she still has.
The Ducati authorised service centre will program all new and old keys.
The Ducati authorised service centre may ask to the customer to prove to be the motorcycle owner.
The codes of the keys missing during the programming procedure will be erased to ensure that any lost key can not start the engine."

It would seem that you need to go to a Ducati service centre to get new keys programmed.
If you happen to know how to without going there good.
However I'm sure the keys will need to have the appropriate transponders fitted in them. If they do they could possibly be cloned to one of your existing keys.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Your original keys are not just key, they contain a transponder which answers the ECU to allow the bike to run.
A key without a transponder or a key with a badly functioning transponder may be used to mechanically turn the ignition on, but then the ECU will request the PIN code to allow starting the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The keys were purchased from Ducati. They are OEM and do have the transponders. When I picked up the keys from the dealership for ~$120/piece, I was instructed to take them to get cut by a local locksmith, at the cost of another $35/piece. At the same time, I was also asked if I wanted to bring them back to get programmed for ~.5hrs of shop time or perform this myself.

Presuming there is a method for doing this without hooking up any special equipment, I would like to save myself the cost of programming.

The page in the 800 workshop manual says to insert the working key, turn it on/off, then the new key, turn it on/off, then insert either of the keys and turn it on to see a message confirming they are programmed. I've tried this method several times and it has not worked. This leads me to assume this is only possible with special equipment, which would put the system into 'virgin' state, however I'd love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
759 Posts
OK, you have the correct keys and they should be programmable but I suspect that you are going to have to take them to the dealer.
You seem to have a different version of the manual from me but this excerpt would appear to be relevant :

Activations through diagnosis instrument

The DUCATI diagnosis instrument allows performing a series of activations to check some instrument panel functions and resetting parameters or warning lights.

After each activation, the instrument panel will restore its standard functions.

Note

The activations must be performed only with key turned to ON, engine off and battery voltage ≥ 11.0 V.

Immobilizer (keys) reset

This activation allows "erasing" the "keys" to reprogramme the Immobilizer System.
Upon receiving this request, the instrument panel resets the previously stored keys.
Upon next Key-On, the Immobilizer System will be "virgin" and it will be possible to reprogramme new keys.

Programming the Immobilizer System

When replacing the instrument panel with a new one or when reprogramming the Immobilizer System
(because one or both keys got lost).
If the System is "virgin", upon Key-On the instrument panel immediately activates the "Immobilizer
Programming" mode.

Programming procedure:
- insert KEY 1 (one of the two black keys) and turn the key from Off to On;
- within 3 seconds turn the key from On to Off;
- within 15 seconds insert KEY 2 (the other black key) and turn the key from Off to On;
- within 3 seconds turn the key from On to Off;
- within 15 seconds insert KEY X again (no matter if Key 1 or Key 2) and turn the key from Off to On.
- If the procedure was successful the instrument panel shows "PROG." and "OK" for 3 seconds and then
switches to the standard display mode.
Although this procedure appears to be for resetting the immobiliser it involves erasing and re-learning the keys. It also requires the Ducati Diagnostic instrument to initiate the procedure.

The key duplication requires the erasing and re-programming of the old keys as well as the new keys :
So it is almost certain that the Ducati Diagnostic instrument is required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, you have the correct keys and they should be programmable but I suspect that you are going to have to take them to the dealer.
Although this procedure appears to be for resetting the immobiliser it involves erasing and re-learning the keys. It also requires the Ducati Diagnostic instrument to initiate the procedure.

The key duplication requires the erasing and re-programming of the old keys as well as the new keys :
Dang. I guess the guy working in parts had no clue about the model. Looks like I'm in for another $75. This has been a costly mistake. Guard your keys with your life! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dang. I guess the guy working in parts had no clue about the model. Looks like I'm in for another $75. This has been a costly mistake. Guard your keys with your life! :)
At least it's not quite as bad as my Mercedes. Only way to get a replacement key is to present a dealer with a VIN number and a copy of your title and personal ID to place the order. The key dongle and mechanical key costs $320 retail (they discounted mine to $250 because of my Mercedes mechanic). Then you have to go back with the same documentation and the invoice for the order to pick it up, and the dealer sends a tech out to the car with you to do some magic initialization sequence stuff before the key will work. Luckily, they didn't charge me for the initialization service.

I lock up my spare keys in a vault now. :eek-new:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have busted the very thin bit of metal off the end of my key, and ducati are saying that i have to do a 1200km trip to them to get a duplicate key. Surely I can just send the damaged key, they clone it, and send it back. The closest dealer is an 800km round trip. Because I am so far from nearest ducati agent I am hoping to get 2 spares, But maybe that is not possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
You seem to have a different version of the manual from me but this excerpt would appear to be relevant :

Activations through diagnosis instrument
The DUCATI diagnosis instrument allows performing a series of activations to check some instrument panel functions and resetting parameters or warning lights.​
After each activation, the instrument panel will restore its standard functions.​
Note​
The activations must be performed only with key turned to ON, engine off and battery voltage ≥ 11.0 V.​
Immobilizer (keys) reset​
This activation allows "erasing" the "keys" to reprogramme the Immobilizer System.​
Upon receiving this request, the instrument panel resets the previously stored keys.​
Upon next Key-On, the Immobilizer System will be "virgin" and it will be possible to reprogramme new keys.​
Programming the Immobilizer System
When replacing the instrument panel with a new one or when reprogramming the Immobilizer System​
(because one or both keys got lost).​
If the System is "virgin", upon Key-On the instrument panel immediately activates the "Immobilizer​
Programming" mode.​
Programming procedure:
- insert KEY 1 (one of the two black keys) and turn the key from Off to On;​
- within 3 seconds turn the key from On to Off;​
- within 15 seconds insert KEY 2 (the other black key) and turn the key from Off to On;​
- within 3 seconds turn the key from On to Off;​
- within 15 seconds insert KEY X again (no matter if Key 1 or Key 2) and turn the key from Off to On.​
- If the procedure was successful the instrument panel shows "PROG." and "OK" for 3 seconds and then​
switches to the standard display mode.​

Hi there,
What if I got to this part of the programming and I insert key 1.. while I turn it on the countdown starts and I turn off the key.. the countdown keep on going while the the key is off..
any idea for that issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
New key programming will require a dealer Ducati Diagnosis System (DDS).

Some information on what you need when:

A)-In case of damage or loss of one of the 2 keys it is necessary to follow the procedure below:
1) order a spare key;
2) copy the mechanical part of the possessed black key;
3) use the DDS 2.0 diagnosis instrument to perform the key reset procedure;
4) perform the key memorization procedure.

B)-In case of loss or damage of both keys it will be necessary to order:
1) a complete spare switch kit consisting in: • Keys • lock unit;
2) instrument panel;
Install the components and then perform the key memorization procedure.

Unfortunately the immobilizer is built into the dash so once the key's tranponder frequency has been mated, it's done. This is why you can program a new key as long as you have one of the originals. But if both original keys are gone, you'll need a new virgin dash. On another note, beware of buying a used dash if you ever need a replacement. Your bike won't start if you install a dash that's already been mated to other keys. Hopefully this info helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New key programming will require a dealer Ducati Diagnosis System (DDS).

Some information on what you need when:

A)-In case of damage or loss of one of the 2 keys it is necessary to follow the procedure below:
1) order a spare key;
2) copy the mechanical part of the possessed black key;
3) use the DDS 2.0 diagnosis instrument to perform the key reset procedure;
4) perform the key memorization procedure.

B)-In case of loss or damage of both keys it will be necessary to order:
1) a complete spare switch kit consisting in: • Keys • lock unit;
2) instrument panel;
Install the components and then perform the key memorization procedure.

Unfortunately the immobilizer is built into the dash so once the key's tranponder frequency has been mated, it's done. This is why you can program a new key as long as you have one of the originals. But if both original keys are gone, you'll need a new virgin dash. On another note, beware of buying a used dash if you ever need a replacement. Your bike won't start if you install a dash that's already been mated to other keys. Hopefully this info helps.
Thanks my friend!!
You don’t think I can reset the immo.. because it’s got stuck in programming mode..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks my friend!!
You don’t think I can reset the immo.. because it’s got stuck in programming mode..
I am not aware of a way to reset the immobilizer. I think you will need to take a trip to a dealership so your bike can get hooked up to DDS. The DDS is required to initiate the key programming. Best wishes. Please let us know how you resolve it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts