Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a small screw in the middle of my rear tyre.
Pulled it out and psst the air came out.
Our manual says the tyres are tubeless and must be replaced (not repaired) if punctured.
It also says never use tube tyres, re-balance the wheel after fitting the new tyre and the abs sensors etc require specific adjustment.
Would really appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
You could consider using a tubeless repair kit, ask your local tyre center.

I'm a bit of the "rather safe than sorry" type and would replace it, but yes, that's gonna cost you.

How many miles on that tire?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm with Max on this one. Certainly possible to repair, but depending on miles, might be better to replace.

IMO this also depends on spoked wheels. I use a tube with my spoked UE.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could consider using a tubeless repair kit, ask your local tyre center.

I'm a bit of the "rather safe than sorry" type and would replace it, but yes, that's gonna cost you.

How many miles on that tire?
About 1,613. That's total mileage since new last September.
The screw was right in the middle of the tread. My mate says get it plugged. Good idea?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Get it plugged, ive had a couple plugged on sports bikes and never had an issue and that's going a lot faster than the scrambler can go. Probably cost you £30.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A plug will work just fine for a small screw hole. No need to even remove the tyre from the wheel. I’ve seen people with plugs that have gone 10,000km with no problems. You could do this at home with a plug kit if you want to.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I concur. Plug it and you'll soon forget you ever had a puncture. I keep meaning to buy a plug kit for the road but at the moment I don't seem to have managed that simple task!

Interestingly my local dealership won't plug tyres, they used to but there seems to have been a directive from tyre manufacturers that this is not safe and a new tyre is the only option to avoid a sure and certain death. No bias there.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
We wouldn't hesitate to use a plug in a case like that, and can highly recommend this kit:

Tirerepairkit

Good luck Phil, let us know how it goes.

Sarah

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks chaps, all suggestions gratefully received.
Will get it plugged and take it from there.
You can plug it yourself at home. Have a look at this video:

It's really quite simple to do, and if you buy a good kit (like the one he uses in the video) then you'll be prepared to handle it yourself if it ever happens again as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts