Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum and new to motorcycles. I’m very much considering the Sixty2 as a first bike and in doing research I keep coming across the excessive heat causing discomfort for riders around their legs - but every reference has been about the other Scramblers. For Sixty2 owners, is this also the same experience? Or does it seem to just be for the other Scrambler models ?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know you asked specifically about the 62 – I have an 800 Icon and it runs hot as most air-cools seem to. The exhaust is perhaps not in the best place hooking up to your inner right thigh. It looks like on the 62 the pipes are routed differently so it may turn out to be 'okay'. That said, I'm in Sydney and I notice it if I get stuck in traffic but otherwise it's fine. Even in traffic with thick riding jeans it's not too unbearable in my opinion :).

Hope that helps a little before the 62 owners come along. Oh, welcome to the forum…

·
Registered
867 Posts
All Scramblers are hot around the legs when stationery or in very slow moving traffic. You don't notice the heat when moving.
This is a trait will every modern emission constricted bike, they generate an enormous amount of heat between the riders legs. My water cooled Triumph is not substantially cooler than my Scrambler when stuck in traffic on hot days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. The Sixty2 definitely runs hot, but as long as you’re wearing full gear on the legs it’s not a huge issue. (A little less comfortable on the 40 degree days here in Sydney!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
TastyTreat, it all depends on where you're riding. All the scramblers run hot, but I've only found it an issue if I'm stuck in traffic (eg Melbourne CBD/Hoddle St) for considerable periods and it's a sunny day (27+). All other situations are fine. Also, I second what Mug says - if you're wearing proper pants you won't feel it.

As the Sixty2's exhaust is routed differently from the 803, you don't get the direct exhaust heat either.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Sixty2 doesn't completely remove the heat but it's much less noticable than on the 800. I Had one for a few weeks at one point while my 800 was getting repaired.
Most of the heat comes from the exhausts on the 800, which curl around near your knee. The Sixty2 doesn't have the same routing as others have mentioned, which seems to keep the heat lower down away from you.

That said... it's still an air cooled engine sat between your legs.
In the UK, any heat is usually welcome but if you must have the coolest running bike you can in your climate, no Ducati is for you. They all have the rear the cylinder pointing right at your crotch, and feel warmer because of it.

The gear you wear makes a big difference though. If I just wear jeans, I feel the heat much more, proper bike gear... much less of an issue.
Never an issue when moving, just occsasionally on hot summer days in traffic, but you've always got the option of hitting the kill switch while you wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the very helpful and informative responses. I have learnt a-lot in just this single thread, in particular about the air cooled engine types. A quick search on other air cooled motorcycles comes up with the same thing - people asking about heat. So sounds like its the norm for this type of engine as some of you have pointed out. Bottom line, the Sixty2 is still top of my list for consideration as my first bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
it can get hot if you're not moving and it's hot out. you'll feel it specifically in your left inner thigh.

i dont think this affects all air cooled motorcycles. i had ZERO problems with heat on my previous suzuki bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts