Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed quite a bit of buzz when holding constant @ 4000 RPM, and I think I need to tighten the chain a little..

According to the manual:

Make the rear wheel turn until you find the position where chain is tightest. Set the motorcycle on the side stand. With just a finger, push down the chain at the point of measurement and release. Measure the distance (A) between the centre of the chain pins and the aluminium section of the swinging arm. It must be: A = 27 ÷ 29 mm.

1. Does it mean I need to use the swinging arm (swing arm?) as my zero ground/starting point instead of using the ground?

2. Is A referring to:
a. Lowest point (pressed down with 1 finger) to neutral? (no finger)​
OR
b. Lowest point (pressed down with 1 finger) to highest point? (pressed up with 1 finger)​

Apologies if this has been covered before as after I searched the forum, there were only 5 posts containing "chain tension".

·
Registered
342 Posts
The manual is unintelligible drivel on this.
Press the chain down and release. Measure.
Push the chain up and measure. The difference in the measurements should be 27 to 29mm.
It should be done on its sidestand and I found measuring from the ground up, with a steel rule was easiest.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For some reason my dealer made a big deal of telling me at the delivery inspection that "Ducati chains" are different then many others. He mentioned that they don't stretch much at all and that the adjustment will seem "looser" then other manufacturers.

Since this is the first chain driven bike I have had in awhile I listened to the advice and did think it was kind of different then what I had heard before.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think you only press down, but I don't honestly know. That's how you check chain tension on any other motorcycle I've owned. It's also how you check belt tension on a car, etc...

I don't think you push down AND push up and add the two travel distances, otherwise you'll end up adjusting your chain way too tight.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As stated, with the bike on the sidestand, find the tightest spot on the chain. Then push the chain down in the centre, measure that point, then push the chain up and measure again. The total deflection should be 27-29mm. Like others I measure from the floor with a rule.

·
Registered
365 Posts
All you are doing is making sure the total vertical up/down motion of the chain at the center is within 27-29 mm.
As stated, with the bike on the sidestand, find the tightest spot on the chain. Then push the chain down in the centre, measure that point, then push the chain up and measure again. The total deflection should be 27-29mm. Like others I measure from the floor with a rule.
This was my understanding, and I hope it's correct. :confused2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick, I swear, but you only push the chain in one direction. I guess the direction is up, but they say down. Basically push it inward and measure the distance between inward and hanging neutral. If you push up on it and push down on it and measure the total distance, you're going to over-tighten your chain which will make the bike behave a bit odd and will hasten chain stretching.

From the service manual: (The photo is misleading because they show the chain pushed up but they say 'press down')

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TOTAL or ONE WAY, that is the biggest question in my head now...

but either way, my chain slack is visually beyond 27-29mm given :blob10:

·
Registered
589 Posts
If I adjust mine to the one way method it's as slack as a hookers you know what! It also makes the gearshift horrible. Adjusting it on the both way measurement leaves the chain tension feeling right and a far smoother shift. If you're very heavy and the swingarm travel tightens the chain you may want it a bit looser to give the drive train a better life. But I'm not ;-)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya I know when it's too tight it's gonna ride weird... but I just want to go to the dealer and tell them the correct way to do it if they say what they did was correct and it was supposed to be this loose

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hope this helps-

Bike on side stand gears in neutral.

Push bottom section of chain down towards ground to rotate front sprocket and bring all slack to bottom section of chain.

Let chain relax.

Measure from swing arm down to middle of bottom section of chain.

Keep measure in place. With finger push chain up towards swing arm. Read measurement. If it's between 27 and 29 millimetres make a cup of tea.

If longer or shorter get it adjusted by someone who feels competent and watch what they do.

That sounds OK to me but this language often trips me up so if this description is unclear please ignore this post.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hope this helps-

Push bottom section of chain down towards ground to rotate front sprocket and bring all slack to bottom section of chain.

Let chain relax.

Keep measure in place. With finger push chain up towards swing arm. Read measurement. If it's between 27 and 29 millimetres make a cup of tea.

If longer or shorter get it adjusted by someone who feels competent and watch what they do.

That sounds OK to me but this language often trips me up so if this description is unclear please ignore this post.
This makes sense, and is a much better explanation of what the manual appears to try and say. It is different than what people are saying above regarding getting the lower measurement by pushing down on the chain and having tension on it vs just removing the slack by pushing down, and then removing your finger and letting it hang before taking the measurement. I'm guessing that your explanation is the correct one since it does fit the manual.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope this helps-

Let chain relax.

Just followed above and measured my chain slack.... over 40mm

Will drop by the dealer to get it around 25mm and report back

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hope this helps-

Let chain relax.

Instructions unclear. Relaxed, drank cup of tea and swing arm didn't measure the chain.

No really though, someone should make a video. Someone who's not lazy and also mechanically inclined. What have I done buying a $10k toy that needs maintenence??? I installed a toilet seat once and considered that a victory!

Edit: oooooooo, I get it now!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine was measuring about 35mm before I gave it a tighten up. I set it to 25mm which took a bit of fiddling since small adjustments make major difference in the chain tension. Also, 106 ft/lb on the rear axle nut seemed like a lot, but that's what the good book says. Anyway, my bike is all taught and feeling like new again. It's probably a good thing to keep your chain tension set up since it makes the bike ride smoother.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got mine adjusted at the dealer, and happy to report that all is good... No more strange knocking feel (chain slap I guess), and that constant throttle weird sensation is gone... And when you lug the bike, it's quieter :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts