Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a quick shifter on my 848 EC and 899 over the past three years. And I love it as it probably saves my clutch hand for about 40% of all gear changes I make.

So.......should I get one fitted to the Scrambler (and is there anyone out there that do one that is scrambler specific) or just man up and knacker my left wrist old skool style?

Answers on a postcard. :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've had a quick shifter on my 848 EC and 899 over the past three years. And I love it as it probably saves my clutch hand for about 40% of all gear changes I make.

So.......should I get one fitted to the Scrambler (and is there anyone out there that do one that is scrambler specific) or just man up and knacker my left wrist old skool style?

Answers on a postcard. :)
Quick shifters have their place (race track), I personally don't like them, or need it.
For a start I don't use the clutch for up-shifts unless riding in built up traffic.
Secondly people who get so used to riding with a quick shifter suddenly find it a chore when using another bike, especially one that doesn't belong to them. ie. a demo bike or even a friends.
MV have brought out a quick shifter that works on the down shift aswell. I plan buying one anyway but will disarm the function.
For me it's the slippery slope and before you know it we'll all be riding Automatics.

·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new 1299 Panigale has a QS that works down the box as well as up the box. It's only a matter of time before it is the norm.

I like the QS for road riding as otherwise my left wrist is buggered in no time, if the clutch is heavy.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The new 1299 Panigale has a QS that works down the box as well as up the box. It's only a matter of time before it is the norm.

I like the QS for road riding as otherwise my left wrist is buggered in no time, if the clutch is heavy.
Yep, that's fine.
I just don't want it to be the norm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quick shifters have their place (race track), I personally don't like them, or need it.
For a start I don't use the clutch for up-shifts unless riding in built up traffic.
Secondly people who get so used to riding with a quick shifter suddenly find it a chore when using another bike, especially one that doesn't belong to them. ie. a demo bike or even a friends.
MV have brought out a quick shifter that works on the down shift aswell. I plan buying one anyway but will disarm the function.
For me it's the slippery slope and before you know it we'll all be riding Automatics.
Agreed. Clutch-less up-shifting is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

Yeah the Panigale's another one with it, I mentioned MV as I'm planning one.
This type of technology always filters down to road bikes from the vast R&D on the track. Which is a good thing if it helps, like in your case with a sore wrist. I did say they have a place but it's on the track, a bit hasty of me as I realise there are probably lots of riders out there who will benefit.
Thing is we will all end up paying for something we don't really want but I suppose we do that with most things, even our clothes washing machine does stuff we don't use.

·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to do a lot of clutch-less up shifting when I rode it home from the dealers on Wednesday night. I think I'll stick with that for the moment. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
ooooold thread, anyone ever fit a quickshifter?

Quite amusing reading the kickback against them and now they are on just about every bike going. 2018's 'must have' bike fashion item.

Not that i'm judging, I fancy one just for the fun factor mostly. I've ridden a few bikes with them fitted and I love the sound on a full throttle upshift, favourite being the quickshifter on the MV Agusta Brutale 800, audible crack as the shifter cuts in.
Just wondering if you get that crack sound from the injector style unit needed on the scrambler or if it's reserved for fancier bikes with their ride-by-wire throttles.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've got it on my 19 Dragster RR, up and down, I don't like it so it's switched off. Down-shift maybe ok but I prefer to do it myself, up-shift not as smooth as my own clutch-less changes.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've got it on my 19 Dragster RR, up and down, I don't like it so it's switched off. Down-shift maybe ok but I prefer to do it myself, up-shift not as smooth as my own clutch-less changes.
Doesn't sound right if that's the case? Whole point of a quick shifter is that it's much more seamless than having to dip the throttle yourself. I know you're obviously very good at shifting but I'm in the other camp, I like upshifters but don't see the benefit in auto down blippers. Yet to try one that still doesn't need you to roll off the throttle a bit to smooth it out, so may as well rev-match myself.
Rev-matching is also one of the most rewarding parts of riding i'd say.

Just love a quickshifter crack, sounds proper racebike.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Doesn't sound right if that's the case? Whole point of a quick shifter is that it's much more seamless than having to dip the throttle yourself. I know you're obviously very good at shifting but I'm in the other camp, I like upshifters but don't see the benefit in auto down blippers. Yet to try one that still doesn't need you to roll off the throttle a bit to smooth it out, so may as well rev-match myself.
Rev-matching is also one of the most rewarding parts of riding i'd say.

Just love a quickshifter crack, sounds proper racebike.
"Yet to try one that still doesn't need you to roll off thethrottle abit to smooth it out, so may as well rev-match myself."

That about sums it up. They maybe quicker if you're looking for tenths on a track but they certainly are not smoother. The down-shifter only works on closed throttle anyway and not for changing down say for an overtake.
It came with the bike otherwise I'd never put one on.
BMW RR, Arillia and now MV, they're all crap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
"Yet to try one that still doesn't need you to roll off thethrottle abit to smooth it out, so may as well rev-match myself."

That about sums it up. They maybe quicker if you're looking for tenths on a track but they certainly are not smoother. The down-shifter only works on closed throttle anyway and not for changing down say for an overtake.
One of the better ones I've used was on the BMW 1200's, maybe helped by a slower revving engine. Liked that it was easy option on the MV Brutale to leave the upshifter on but turn the downshifter off. The down shifter is only enabled in the sportiest mode, so guess they admit it's not for everyday riding.

Wonder what the next 'must have' bike fad will be...

·
Registered
28 Posts

You definitely haven’t ridden a 2017-2019 Aprilia Tuono V4 because if you had you certainly wouldn’t have made such a incorrect statement!!! My 2018 Aprilia Tuono’s quickshifter works like melted butter, both upshifts & downshifts, with throttle fully engaged. Totally awesome!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You definitely haven’t ridden a 2017-2019 Aprilia Tuono V4 because if you had you certainly wouldn’t have made such a incorrect statement!!! My 2018 Aprilia Tuono’s quickshifter works like melted butter, both upshifts & downshifts, with throttle fully engaged. Totally awesome!!!!!!!!
Oh, I definitely have ridden the Tuono V4 including the latest 1100 and made the correct statement!!!
Totally shyte!!!!!!!!
Like I said, I don’t like or need one, I prefer to ride my bike and not have the bike compensate for my incompetence. The Aprillia in particular also has had many gearbox problems caused by the quickshifter too.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Each to his own, I don’t think I need it.

However, I rode a BMW S1000XR a while ago and was amazed at how good it worked.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Each to his own, I don’t think I need it.

However, I rode a BMW S1000XR a while ago and was amazed at how good it worked.
Absolutely agree, each to their own and I can see a place for them. Full tilt on a track maybe.
My pal bought the newer 1290 Superduke than I have, it came with a QS and he did wax lyrical a few months ago on how much better his bike was compared to mine because of it. Lol, he now has it switched off I noticed. He must have forgotten what he said before as now he says it’s shyte. Lol.
I like all bikes but just maybe not all of it, just a pitty we have to pay for all the extras we maybe don’t need or want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts