Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Rapid bike install

12K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JC Scrambler 
#1 ·
So I decided to go for a rapid bike module. I got the evo version.
At first I wanted to let my dealer do the install, it's recommended by both the dealer and dimsport, but because it was really expensive I thought I would give it a try myself.

First I got the installation manual from dimsport, so I had an idea about how difficult it would be. They sent it, with again a recommendation to let the dealer do the work.

I got my rapid bike evo from belissimoto.com, great guys, great service

So the manual says to remove the tank, but I'm lazy so I did it like this. I recommend putting a cloth or something between the tank and the frame in the front, as I made a scratch in the frame.

I routed the cable from behind the box that's housing the abs unit and battery to keep it away from the exhaust. Kinda hard to see the wires, but zoom out something [emoji16]

Then all you need to do on the left side is connect all the wires as described in the manual. Easy peasy [emoji1360]

Then to the next side. Starting with the wire far back to keep the battery uncluttered (is that a word)
I just let it follow the wiring over the timing belt cover.

This thing is a bitch to remove.

I was lazy and removed it half way. Connect everything and use the posi tap thing (i didn't know how that worked, YouTube does know though, research there)

Be real careful when tucking everything back, so you don't fuck up the wiring, like the manual says, just a little better worded.

Front O2 sensor, easy stuff

Rear O2 sensor and connection to brake light. Easy enough, just tuck it in real good so your cover goes back on.

The ecu unit itself was a bitch to install because I have the alarm, and there's not much space, I didn't take a picture of it, but I'll get one of someone wants to see. I know this is real shitty as a guide, but the manual is your friend, take your time and follow the manual!

I'll write something about how it performs when winter is over. But I had a small test drive, and it's tons of fun!

I also have a k&n filter and leovince slip on, that adds to even more fun. Or at least it feels fun! And noisy! Which is fun!

Anyway, if you're like me and are thinking about doing this, and are confident you can do it (even though you know you might be wrong) Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yeah, get some zip ties before starting so you get your wires nice and neat once you're done messing around with them. And if someone can move this to the performance forum, please do, because it really belongs there! So much more power in this little beast after this mod [emoji83]

#3 ·
I finally installed my Rapid Bike this weekend. My experience is very similar to yours. I did remove the gas tank though.

Yes, the air valve was a pain in the ass to remove and re-install. :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to test it for a while. We are entering that cold and wet season known as winter. :(

-Bob

#4 ·
Same here, but I just had to, it's a little risky now, but we've had some warm weather the last week. Now the temperature is dropping and the roads will be icy soon ☹
Ah well, just three months of winter [emoji16]

#5 ·
I just got done reinstalling the gas tank. Of course one of the connectors didn't fully connect and I ended up spraying gas all over the place. :(

It's ok now but whoever designed those connections should be severely punished.

-Bob

#7 ·
I was told by bellisimoto that the rapid bike unit can add something like 35% more fuel than your map allows. So he recommended that after driven 200 American miles I should load the map the rapid bike unit makes in that time as the new "base" map. So I would think it would have effect on top of your reflash also based on what he told me.
If you actually feel the difference or if it's possible to measure I do not know.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it makes a map, you make that map your baseline, and it tunes 35% on top of that map.

I have only ridden it 40 km, so I haven't had a chance to see the long term effect of the adaptive tuning. What I can tell you is that I felt an immediate improvement over stock.

#9 ·
I was told by bellisimoto that the rapid bike unit can add something like 35% more fuel than your map allows. So he recommended that after driven 200 American miles I should load the map the rapid bike unit makes in that time as the new "base" map. So I would think it would have effect on top of your reflash also based on what he told me.
If you actually feel the difference or if it's possible to measure I do not know.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it makes a map, you make that map your baseline, and it tunes 35% on top of that map.

I have only ridden it 40 km, so I haven't had a chance to see the long term effect of the adaptive tuning. What I can tell you is that I felt an immediate improvement over stock.

How do you load the map?

#10 ·
I haven't gotten that far yet. First you just do the install process. Then you drive for about 200 miles. Then you can get software for your computer and connect it via a provided USB cable from the rapid bike unit. The guy at bellisimoto told me to send him a email when I got to that point and he would help me out.

I've never ridden any other scrambler than mine so I don't have a reference point actually [emoji16]... Except from before and after installing various stuff.

I won't have the chance to drive until earliest in March next year because of winter either

#14 ·
Never said it was hard, did I?
I guess not. Something was "a bitch to remove" and something else "a bitch to install". Doesn't matter. My joke was in reference to your extremely funny booster plug post. It honestly gave me a good laugh.

Kinda OT: I have a rexxer map, slip on and aftermarket air filter on my bike. I hear the results are similar to to the evo you installed. The improvements over stock are astounding.

#17 ·
Thanks for the post, I put my first 1000+ miles on my scrambler so it’s time to install a Rapid bike. Could you shoot some pics of where you installed it? I’d like to see how it fits with the alarm.
So I decided to go for a rapid bike module. I got the evo version.
At first I wanted to let my dealer do the install, it's recommended by both the dealer and dimsport, but because it was really expensive I thought I would give it a try myself.

First I got the installation manual from dimsport, so I had an idea about how difficult it would be. They sent it, with again a recommendation to let the dealer do the work.

I got my rapid bike evo from belissimoto.com, great guys, great service

So the manual says to remove the tank, but I'm lazy so I did it like this. I recommend putting a cloth or something between the tank and the frame in the front, as I made a scratch in the frame.

I routed the cable from behind the box that's housing the abs unit and battery to keep it away from the exhaust. Kinda hard to see the wires, but zoom out something [emoji16]

Then all you need to do on the left side is connect all the wires as described in the manual. Easy peasy [emoji1360]

Then to the next side. Starting with the wire far back to keep the battery uncluttered (is that a word)
I just let it follow the wiring over the timing belt cover.

This thing is a bitch to remove.

I was lazy and removed it half way. Connect everything and use the posi tap thing (i didn't know how that worked, YouTube does know though, research there)

Be real careful when tucking everything back, so you don't fuck up the wiring, like the manual says, just a little better worded.

Front O2 sensor, easy stuff

Rear O2 sensor and connection to brake light. Easy enough, just tuck it in real good so your cover goes back on.

The ecu unit itself was a bitch to install because I have the alarm, and there's not much space, I didn't take a picture of it, but I'll get one of someone wants to see. I know this is real shitty as a guide, but the manual is your friend, take your time and follow the manual!

I'll write something about how it performs when winter is over. But I had a small test drive, and it's tons of fun!

I also have a k&n filter and leovince slip on, that adds to even more fun. Or at least it feels fun! And noisy! Which is fun!

Anyway, if you're like me and are thinking about doing this, and are confident you can do it (even though you know you might be wrong) Do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.