Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, last week I picked up a brand new 2022 Scrambler 1100 Sport Pro having changed up from my 11 year old Hyper 796. The hyper was a bit rattly at times but the Scrambler seems to have a significant rattling sound when at around or just over the 2000 rpm mark. I am not really mechanically minded so at first thought it might be the chain or something when hitting a particular resonance.

I have looked at the piston slap videos (being honest, sometimes I am not sure what exactly I am listening for) but understand that this was with older models ie 2018,2019?

Does this sound like piston slap ie, something that only happens when in specific engine revs? Don't think I can hear anything off when not in gear.

I am also running the engine in, only done 250 miles so keeping the revs in the lower regions but in traffic doing say 20mph in 2nd gear, the rattle is really significant.

With my Hyper rattling from time to time I was just putting it down as just one of those things with Ducatis??

Many thanks for any advice.

Video of tick over and sound recording in 1st an 2nd gears. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Piston slap sounds like hitting two spanner’s together, you would hear it all the time not just when in gear, I didn’t really hear anything out of the ordinary on your clip when the bike was stationary but think I hear what your saying when moving which would suggest a gear driven noise, maybe the chains a bit loose?

I would just ride it and ask them when it goes in for its first service, unless it get significantly worse?

·
Registered
Scrambler 1100 Pro
16 Posts
Yep. It does that! It happens on mine too (2021 model). I even took it to the dealers to get checked out. It’s just a feature of this particular engine and I just try to keep the revs up to avoid it. Check out some of the other discussions on this topic on this forum 👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
To be honest I’ve not really any idea, certainly don’t rev it out to anywhere near the limiter, generally use the torque and short shift through the gears so probably 4-6k rpm?

·
Registered
2020 Icon Dark
4 Posts
I had the same impression with mine (became paranoid for non-identified noises in the past).
Turns out that completely cleaning & lubing the chain fixed it - had about 1'000km done... Will do it more regularly now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same impression with mine (became paranoid for non-identified noises in the past).
Turns out that completely cleaning & lubing the chain fixed it - had about 1'000km done... Will do it more regularly now
I had wondered if it was the chain clattering but looking at the other forum threads that have been created about "the rattle" it seems to be a feature of the engine as opposed to a fault. Shame though as the engine sounds great except when at low speeds (such as town) where people are around to hear the banging and clanking ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, know that rattly mechanical sound well. I have a 2018 Scrambler 1100 which around 2,000 miles began making the exact same noise and still continues to this day. The dealer assured me it’s the Piston slap issue and the everything mechanically is in spec. When it first started I freaked out because you can clearly hear it over the traditional air cooled idle noises, and thought I had a gearbox problem. As you increase the revs with the bike in neutral it goes away. To be more specific, I believe the rear vertical cylinder is the biggest offender. So as I last said to the dealer last week, after they advised for the second time this is normal for the 1100 - guess I’ll just ride the heck out of it and try to ignore it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, know that rattly mechanical sound well. I have a 2018 Scrambler 1100 which around 2,000 miles began making the exact same noise and still continues to this day. The dealer assured me it’s the Piston slap issue and the everything mechanically is in spec. When it first started I freaked out because you can clearly hear it over the traditional air cooled idle noises, and thought I had a gearbox problem. As you increase the revs with the bike in neutral it goes away. To be more specific, I believe the rear vertical cylinder is the biggest offender. So as I last said to the dealer last week, after they advised for the second time this is normal for the 1100 - guess I’ll just ride the heck out of it and try to ignore it.
Thanks for your reply, it does ruin an otherwise almost perfect machine IMHO.

What's concerning me is that mine was doing it right from 0 miles. Now done 350 so booked it in for its first service in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply, it does ruin an otherwise almost perfect machine IMHO.

What's concerning me is that mine was doing it right from 0 miles. Now done 350 so booked it in for its first service in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Renidroc, it will be interesting to see what your dealer advises on this problem. One theory which I have heard is this newer Scrambler 1100 engine design uses plain bearings in several areas vs roller bearings and this could be transmitting the audible mechanical rattling sound at idle. Since I have never seen inside the gearbox of either the older Monster 1100 EVO motor or this newer Scrambler 110O motor I’d be curious if any other members can comment on this potential engine design difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well to make a long story short - the dealer did replace my front cylinder & piston to address the piston slap issue. For the first 100 miles after that all was normal, then the rattly metallic sound started ( at idle) once the engine was hot. Again the dealer advised piston slap - which if I am to believe the dealer I conclude it’s coming from the rear cylinder ( which it also sound like). I also have come to a point of frustration because it appears Ducati does not want to address this rear cylinder problem because the labor hours & expense of removing the engine from the bike to do this repair.
So I’ll just keep riding on -because other than the rattly mechanical noise at idle it’s a great bike.
FYI - I get to try my new Bridgestone Batlax tires on track next week on the 1100 can’t wait!
Cheers,

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I understand it the rattling sound is to expect from all the 1100s. I heard from Ducati that it is a side effect from having redesigned the engine to reduce the emissions. You can hear it on almost all youtube clips of the 1100.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am by no means anti-environment etc but the rattling noise due to emission control makes me very sad! 😉
Ps. Can’t see how running at higher rev to eliminate rattle helps any lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts