Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2016 Motoguzzi V7, and have done all of my own service. I purchased a hand held 500 dollar ECU machine (s/n specific) that allowed me to easily load a map that worked with my new exhaust, clear codes, TPS reset, etc. It’s been a dream since the nearest Motoguzzi dealership is hours away.

I am itching for a new 2020 Sixty2, but from what I’m reading Ducati has made changes from 2019 forward. Does anyone know if I would have the same ability if I were to purchase a Rexxer unit? I would hate to have to constantly look at a service light...

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Spumoni, I just called a tech at Rexxer - and they have exactly what you're looking for. It's called their EVO USER unit. If you were to buy a new Sixty2, you could in fact service your bike yourself (since the dealership is 3 hours away) and use the EVO user to reset any maintenance codes. Of course you could send maps to your ECU if you were to change your muffler/exhaust air filter config! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the nearest DucatI dealership and they had one 2019 Sixty2 left on the floor. $6599, plus a $118 doc fee. Since it’s a different state, I would pay tax locally. I’m assuming that’s a pretty good deal for a 2019, since there are no differences between the 2019 and 2020. I just left a deposit on the bike, and will look at it in the flesh on Thursday.

I spoke to their ”Ducati Expert”. Granted, he’s trying to sell the bike... but he seemed to have no negative opinions on the fact that I would not be taking it to Ducati for service, based on distance. Told him my plan with the Rexxer unit. I’m sure this wont help with the warrantee, but I don’t have much of a choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seem like to maintain the warranty, the first 625 service needs to be done by an authorized dealer.

The second service, at 1 year or 7500 miles whichever is first, I've heard conflicting info. Either B) it also has to be done at a dealer or B) if you buy the oil filter and oil from a dealer (maybe online Ducati Omaha would suffice?) and keep the receipt it would meet the requirements for the 1yr/7500m service.

So try to at least get the 625 mile one done at the dealer. How far are you from your closest dealer (it doesn't have to be the dealer you bought it from)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info! The closest dealer is just shy of 3 hours. For some people that's not a big deal, but it's a tad far for me on this little bike, and I have no way to easily transport it. I am heading to the dealership tomorrow (since I will be in that area) and look at the bike to decide if I even like it. If I decide to go forward, I will directly ask about the warrantee being voided if I perform my own service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to the dealership today and looked at the bike they have reserved for me. After 72 hours of intense internet research, it was nice to finally see one in the flesh! I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the dollars I’d need to spend for the mods. I’m paying about $6600 for the bike, plus another $3600 on mods before I even consider riding it. Mods include Rexxer tune, exhaust, new seat, new fenders, tank paint or wrap, new bars. So in the end I’d have over 10k in a bike. If I decide to sell in a year or two, I’d be lucky to get 6k for it. But that’s the price to pay I guess... My deposit will expire in A few days so I need to decide before then.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Make that 4 to 5k at best imho. I’d rather spend that amount of money on a 800 Scrambler... (especially after an MG V7)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max Kool - I know you’re probably right. The straw that broke the camel’s back is when I realized the Sixty2 is only 10 pounds lighter than the 800’s!!! I ended up passing on the Sixty2 - which by the way is available for 6500 (out the door) at North American Warhorse. Ask for Joe, he is really great.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You may want to just mod the bike 'cause that's what folk do. But my advice would be to live with it stock for a few months and see how you go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deano - that’s definitely sound advice... but I’ve been through so many bikes where it’s at the point where I simply can’t enjoy riding them stock - not even for a day! When I received my last new bike, I rode it around the block and put it in the garage and dint’ ride it again until it was done. It’s more of an aesthetics thing than performance, for me. I already told the dealer I was passing. Till next time...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Deano - that’s definitely sound advice... but I’ve been through so many bikes where it’s at the point where I simply can’t enjoy riding them stock - not even for a day! When I received my last new bike, I rode it around the block and put it in the garage and dint’ ride it again until it was done. It’s more of an aesthetics thing than performance, for me. I already told the dealer I was passing. Till next time...
In that case – Enjoy whatever you end up with! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts