Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I sold my other bike and Im going to buy a DS. My local dealer has a red 2017 w/10 miles for $12k or a white 2018 demo w/1000 miles with first service done for $10.5k. A dealer 100 miles away has a 2018 red new but wont give a price over the phone other than retail. i guess they figure I will shop them against my local dealer, BMW-Ducati of Charlotte NC. I really like the red ones. The only dealer add on i would get is heated grips. I know any warranty work I needed done i would take local, but if I dont buy from them, I may get slower service. But if i cant get a better deal on a 2017, then a short road trip would be in order.Along with being excited about a new bike, I now have myself all confused. So, you DS owners...give me your opinions.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Just get the one you really want, and buy local. Like you said, if you need any warranty work your local dealer will be there for you.

By the time the pain from the purchase is over, you still have the bike you really wanted.

In my opinion the best deals often come with a down side (distance or a longer wait for a service, warranty, wrong color).

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Is that true? Sounds more like an urban myth.

The contracts they make you sign before you can ride off on a demo are often ridiculous with a hefty deductible...It's a bike you don't know, so have to start carefully anyway. Get used to the brakes, cornering, etc

My $0.02

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to get a red one. i sent an email to my local dealer asking what he can do on his 2017 to make me not drive 100 miles to get a 2018. I dont think there is a difference between the 2 yrs. All i want to add are heated grips.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is that true? Sounds more like an urban myth.

The contracts they make you sign before you can ride off on a demo are often ridiculous with a hefty deductible...It's a bike you don't know, so have to start carefully anyway. Get used to the brakes, cornering, etc

My $0.02
I'd say so, most demo bikes I've ridden feel like a 10,000 milers rather than a 1000 miler, in fact the last one was a scrambler that vibrated like feck, unlike my 6,500 mile silky smooth one. It' seems like everyone wants to see what it'll do on the bypass even when cold or try a wheelie or 2.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will prefer to buy a NEW one, however if they lower the price on the red 2017 w/10 miles for $12k, it should be considered.
Drive to the other dealer which is 100 miles away, you never know if you get a better deal.
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer got back to me on the 2017. $300 off list , $391 for heated grips. 1.9% for 36 months. Not too bad I guess. Their labor rate is $135 pr hr., thats $10 more than a plumber. I was told the difference between the 2017 and the 2018 is the 17 is made in Italy and the 18 in Thailand. I think I want the 17 but the closer you get to Japan the better quality you may get. IDK..

·
Registered
734 Posts
The dealer got back to me on the 2017. $300 off list , $391 for heated grips. 1.9% for 36 months. Not too bad I guess. Their labor rate is $135 pr hr., thats $10 more than a plumber. I was told the difference between the 2017 and the 2018 is the 17 is made in Italy and the 18 in Thailand. I think I want the 17 but the closer you get to Japan the better quality you may get. IDK..
then better buy it before someone else do it.
Agree with Max Kool "first service for free".

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Pretty much, yes.

I always haggle the first service into a deal, simply because I hate to pay again to the dealer right a few weeks after having bought it....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried for first service free, but after getting a new bike for $11k they wouldn't give in. I did get 10% off parts and accessories as long as I own the bike , heated grips for $390 installed and a free t shirt. Also the salesman has a low seat at his house and said i could try it if I wanted before i bought one, maybe his at a deal

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope i can sleep tonight, I put down $500 on my cc , credit approved on my new red 2017 Desert Sled. The heated grips are on order and they said maybe put them on at the 600 mile service and Monday i will get insurance on the bike. Most dealers are closed on Monday so it will be Tuesday before I can pick her up if work allows me to. From the dealer to my house is 30 minof 70 mph highway before 20 min of rural roads. The salesman said he didnt think it would be an issue on break in. i will have my son in the F350 service truck bedind me so i guess i can go as fast or slow as I want. I think the weather is susposed to be in the high 60's , so screw using the trailer. Here a pic of her sitting in the service dept waiting to go home, you know it ain't true without a picture.
ducati.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
it does really look VeRy NiCe!!!
I had to wait almost 3 weeks to get mine.
drive safe.
enjoy it...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts