Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Icon Rosso
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background.
I bought my 2017 Icon back in April and have been working on getting the mechanicals back to, and better than factory condition.
The bike had 3800 miles on the clock when I got it and had a number of aftermarket accessories including an Arrow slip-on decat exhaust, ASV levers, and funky Puig screen.
The chain needed some care, and the tires were still original.
Concern.
The rear brake. Originally, the brake lever travel was normal and the brake worked but was not that effective. I changed the pads to EBC HH compound to get more initial bite,, and that worked well until the winter weather broke and we started getting temps up in the 80's now the rear brake travel has become excessive.
I spoke to a tech who said he thought the ABS module was the culprit. It's placed right over the exhaust/catalyst area and sucks in a lot of exhaust heat which can cause the fluid to boil off leaving pockets of gas in the lines. This is plausible as the first time it happened was after a 120-mile ride that involved some long periods of time in the higher end of the rev range. (Although only 803cc this little bike is more than capable of keeping up with HDs with twice the engine size, as the rider I was following around southern Indiana found out after revving the tits off his bagger along the straights to put some blacktop between us.) We bled the lines with fresh fluid but after almost every ride in the 80's the brake lever travel gets excessive again.
I was wondering about bypassing the ABS module and connecting straight to the rear caliper and connecting the inlet and outlet of the module with a short pipe to keep the fluid in the module. I'm also not exactly sure how they work but I'm guessing they read pressure in the line and look at the sensor from the ABS wheel to ensure it's moving, then dumps to an internal bypass if it needs to. - Any info here is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not a direct answer but… my Icon (2015) had a rear brake pedal that was only ever any good for a few months after a service then, like yours, the pedal travel became excessive and the brake basically ineffective.

however, the last but one service seemed to cure this issue. I asked if they’d done anything ‘special’ and they couldn’t really say much other than a new fluid. Seriously, my rear brake has now remained solid for two years despite long periods not riding - which used to be one of the factors (I thought).

I do monthly long rides too - 300kms - and a lot of that is it the higher end of the rev range, generally bee-lining it home on the freeway.

So it’s possibly worth looking at different brake fluids (noting that you have bled the system)

PS - I’m not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It is a pretty standard “feature” of Ducatis with the old L twin engine. Our 2006 Monster 1000 (no ABS) had the same issue and it has been reported here numerous times. It is nothing to do with the ABS. It is also not related to excessive heat.
I believe that the fix is a gasket and seal kit for the rear brake cylinder. No amount of bleeding and replacing fluid will fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts