Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen listed on eBay a Rear Brembo P2 Racing Caliper. Does anybody know anything about this caliper? Is it worth investing in?
Or is it just throwing money away?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Why would you replace it anyway?

Upgrading the front I can imagine (although I’d try different pads first), but the rear?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well as the rear is hardly doinganything I can imagine improving it but I never use the rear brake anyway. Front brakes are pretty amazing stock so can't imagine what you wan't to improve there except for maybe the master cilinder.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well as the rear is hardly doinganything I can imagine improving it but I never use the rear brake anyway. Front brakes are pretty amazing stock so can't imagine what you wan't to improve there except for maybe the master cilinder.
I was thinking maybe upgrade the back brake if this thing worked. I use the back brake in conjunction with the front to keep the bike more level and stable. This is what I was taught in my advanced course. BMW had and maybe still have linked brakes on the GS. Honda also used it on the VFR. I wonder if it’s no use why then do it?
BTW I’m bored again.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Try different pads (EBC HH), or adjusting the lever could help too.

I would never spend money on a rear caliper...

·
Registered
121 Posts
@Gasman Or maybe change the Rear brake line to braided SS? That'd be a easy worthwhile update.

Or trying routing the line inside the swingarm to clean up the look? Not sure if it'd compromise the integrity of the arm, but I've seen this done on a lot of single-sided swing arm bikes... Maybe the line could be routed without the banjo at one end to minimize the size of the hole needed to be drilled, then attached after routing.

Something to think about if you're bored...

Patiently awaiting your DIY post for this, with plenty of pics... :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My rear brake is a little “wooden” I’m really looking for more feel. In the past I have had good results with Lucas organic pads, they are German not really fond of sintered.
I also use my back brake on my home road which is rough, gravely and down hill, no front brake here.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve done a lot of checking and found out that the 1100 rear caliper only has one 32mm piston and is floating. The P2 racing one I was considering is a fixed caliper with 2x34mm pistons, so far superior but with one caveat it doesn’t fit the 1100 mounting bracket. To fit this one would mean having a new bracket made and probably very costly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I’ve done a lot of checking and found out that the 1100 rear caliper only has one 32mm piston and is floating. The P2 racing one I was considering is a fixed caliper with 2x34mm pistons, so far superior but with one caveat it doesn’t fit the 1100 mounting bracket. To fit this one would mean having a new bracket made and probably very costly.
Would also probably mean a different master cilinder to opperate it properly.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I didn’t even think of that seeing it’s a lost cause.
Anyway spoke to a Brembo dealer who talked me through the situation and came to the conclusion that just changing the pads should work. He said that the OEM ones are usually crap and aftermarket Brembos are far superior. I’ve ordered the rear SX ones to try and if they’re any good will change the front to SA.
BTW off topic I’ve now got a Hulk in a dealers safe waiting for reopening after lockdown.
How is it going in your country?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Interesting. Keep us posted on the result with the pads. Frankly I think the front brakes are excellent both in feel and in stopping power all day long in the Germam mountains during warm weather I never had a complaint. Even the single disc set up on the 800 never left me wanting for more.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer said that the new pads on the front are a brilliant upgrade, so I’ll see how the back fairs first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts