Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I am posting about yet another show stopper. In Spain 6 January (Kings') is a big deal like bigger than Christmas so I take myself off for a tour onto Portugal. At Pomeraõ, a VERY hilly place my rear brake vanishes. Fluid OK, lever goes to a stop on peg hanger. No bubbles in reservoir. Pads don't move. Of course it happened as I came to a stop on a hill so a bit shaken at brake just vanishing. If I pump.the pedal many times (about 20) I get pressure back and it holds for a few minutes. No fluid leakage. I suspect seals in master cylinder but that is just a guess. Bike done 2,500 km from new. I have had it for three months. New but '18 model. So any ideas?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Seems to be a Ducati trait. The same thing happened to SWMBO’d S2R Monster and I have heard about it happening on other Ducati’s. The dealer also confirmed that it was a regular occurrence for them when they flushed the system and got it working again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so now I have had time to read all the stuff on this and thanks to all those who have posted in the past. So I know now that this is probably air and the caliper has to be removed and inverted to bleed properly. I won't even comment on how absurd this sounds. I also know now that there is a big deal about the type of fluid. The question is how did air get in there in the first place? I guess the money is still on seals failing?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So bike back now and they changed the fluid. So now I can compare the colour and clearly the 'old' fluid had gone dark. No explanation from the dealer but the bike has only done 3000 km and is 4 months old. So I guess the possibilities are: 1) Crap hoses which are dissolving and contaminating the fluid 2) Crap fluid fitted from new which has absorbed moisture 3) Master cylinder too close to exhaust and cat. Any advice out there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts