Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stored my Scrambler for just over a month. Came back into town, went to use the bike and zero rear brake. System still has fluid. Any thoughts? Is it an easy fix?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Has the brake pedal fallen off? Has the caliper fallen off? - Try and describe your problem in a bit more detail - so others can help.

I assume - when you actuate the brake - there is no effect - i.e. no pressure and no slowing down?

Probably - needs to be bled of air to restore operation and remove the air.

But why did the air get there?

How old is the bike and what mileage?

If still under warantee - I would suggest getting the dealer to investigate - bleeding is cheap and easy - but there must be something that is worn or leaking slightly for the air to be there - air does not enter on a fully sealed system - unless the fluid level is low.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pads are good, fluid is full. Pumped many times and no pressure restored. Bike is a 2016 Icon with 3000mi on the clock

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the nipple and gave it a pump, just fluid came out- no air. I think the piston or a seal is shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tinkering doesn’t seem to be making it any better at this point. I’ve pumped it more times than I can count- brake leaver just goes all the way down with almost no resistance. Road it around the block and absolutely zero brake from the rear. Makes you realize how important it is! I’m going to have the dealer take a look, it should be a warranty fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had mine bled twice and the rear brake keeps going limp. All fluids are good and nothing seems to be amiss according to the dealer...so what next? Toss the rear brake system? Ha... that's no bueno. @10k + miles

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our Monster had exactly the same issue. I changed the fluid and bled it correctly but still no joy. It went in for an engine service without being ridden (on a trailer) and it turned out it needed a seal kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah its clearly an issue with a seal of some kind, interesting we all have the same issue. No recall?

Luckily I am not relying on the Scrambler to get me anywhere. It's just sitting now

·
Registered
342 Posts
Our Monster had exactly the same issue. I changed the fluid and bled it correctly but still no joy. It went in for an engine service without being ridden (on a trailer) and it turned out it needed a seal kit.
Do you know what was in the seal kit? Was it caliper piston seals or master cylinder seals, or both?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lost my rear brake completely (before it was soft pedal). Went to dealer. They used some kind of new procedures to bled brakes. Now pedal is stiff and brakes work as it should.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ME: 2015 Scrambler Icon. Rear brake: bottoms, no brakey. No leaks, fluid level normal. Guessing I need a rebuild kit. Have you got one?

JT Desmo Times: air is getting into the system via the bleeder. Replace with a speedbleeder.

Done and Done. Lots of air. Pumped out all the old fluid as it was dingy stuff. Check valve makes it easy.

Speedbleeder and fresh fluid in the front before spring. View attachment 38181 View attachment 38183
DSCF5904.JPG
DSCF5905.JPG

1-24-19 Follow-up. Geez the rear was so easy; I've got a little time today, let's do the front....NOPE

The front bleeder has a long thread section and, with two copper washers, connects the hose to caliper housing. I leaked out enough to have replaced the fluid by the time I got it all back together. With the assembly as it is, bleeding will almost always mean spurting fluid all over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
K1W1 did you ever figure out where you bought the reseal/rebuild kit or whatever you did to fix the rear brake? I started a thread yesterday about the same issue. I bled my brakes, and the pressure lasted a few days. No leaks. Full fluid!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts