Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a total rear brake failure on their scrambler?

I have a 2018 Icon and the rear brakes suddenly are completely gone. The dealer said they just need to be bled but also mentioned lots of folks have been returning shortly after for another bleed.

Ducati customer service states this as "general maintenance" but my other bikes and friend's bikes (Kawasaki, Honda, Harley) never experienced a complete brake failure as part of their general maintenance.

I see there's a recall on the Diavel, Supersport, and Monster but nothing for us yet.

Curious to know if this has happened to any other scrambler riders. Stay safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is a standard issue with air cooled L Twin Ducatis. It’s been a problem almost forever. Our 2006 S2R Monster had the problem we have not had it with our Scrambler but there are plenty of posts in this site from people who have.
The info we got from the dealer about the Monster was a little vague but it appears there may be some sort of kit that goes in the rear brake system that solves it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have also heard its pretty common problem on these bikes, and that some sort of seal kit fixes the issue. You didn't happen to apply chain lube recently did you? I got some chain lube on my rear brake once... which unsurprisingly doesn't mix well. Had to get new rear pads to fix that.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have also heard its pretty common problem on these bikes, and that some sort of seal kit fixes the issue. You didn't happen to apply chain lube recently did you? I got some chain lube on my rear brake once... which unsurprisingly doesn't mix well. Had to get new rear pads to fix that.
The chain and the rear brake are on opposite sides of the wheel. How on earth did you get chain lube on the brakes?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
First time doing it + pointing the can the wrong way + overspray... Lol it was certainly a silly mistake. Learned something new that day though! 😁
Tip
If you are going to use a spray for the chain lube grab some cardboard from the trash (something like a cereal box is the ideal weight) and put it behind the chain where you are spraying to act as a barrier to stop chain lube going where you don’t want it to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My rear brakes are very (!) mushy. 17 Icon. Pedal travels about 80% before they begin to grab, and don't provide much stopping power. But they are not entirely failed.

The fluid is pretty dark, and certainly needs flushed. I'm going to flush and bleed them and keep track of how long before they need it again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
By the way, in a few threads on the forum I see guys reference a seal\gasket rebuild for the rear master. Is there a specific part number for a kit anyone can link?
Would it not be cheaper and easier just to buy a new rear master cylinder? I remember years ago trying to get seals and things from Ducati, but was told they do not sell just the seals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would it not be cheaper and easier just to buy a new rear master cylinder? I remember years ago trying to get seals and things from Ducati, but was told they do not sell just the seals.
I can't fathom a whole cylinder being cheaper than a gasket and spring 🧐. Maybe easier... but several posts mention a seal kit. Several are available on the interwebs. All Balls Racing has one for about $25, for example. I'm wondering if they are universal, or if a specific part number.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out Ducati Omaha's website. They let you browse entire part catalogs for all the scramblers and order by part number. They might be able to point you in the right direction for ordering the seal kit too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out Ducati Omaha's website. They let you browse entire part catalogs for all the scramblers and order by part number. They might be able to point you in the right direction for ordering the seal kit too.
Yep. Tried that. Surprisingly it only goes down to the master cylinder, but not the piston and soft goods.

I have an email out to All Balls Racing. I may just buy a kit for $25 and see what I get, or if it comes to it, tear mine apart and take some measurements.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The rear brake on my 1100 and my wife's Icon are both mush. We took a ride this weekend and both were completely flat. Shouldn't have to go to the dealer more than once a year just to have rear brakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The rear brake on my 1100 and my wife's Icon are both mush. We took a ride this weekend and both were completely flat. Shouldn't have to go to the dealer more than once a year just to have rear brakes.
100% agree!

I've had 3 bikes over the years, and I've never so much as changed my own oil. When I got this bike I did it as a hobby to also learn how to work on it. I've never touched my brakes before this last weekend. So... What I'm saying is I'm a total novice.

I watched a video, bought less than $10 in tools and a 16oz can of fluid and in 20 minutes had both rear and front brakes completely flushed and bled. They are as easy as falling off a log. Zero need to see a dealer for this.

Watched a video on servicing the master cylinder. I'm sure I can tackle that, too. Looks dead easy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@TRfromMT Which Scrambler do you have, and did you have any issues bleeding the system with the ABS?
'17 icon. No problems whatsoever. Both front and rear are very firm\immediate. No ABS warning light or anything. I understand the amount of fluid in the ABS pump is miniscule so I didn't worry about it. I just used a simple plastic tube on the bleed nipple, no pump or vacuum fitting at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
'17 icon. No problems whatsoever. Both front and rear are very firm\immediate. No ABS warning light or anything. I understand the amount of fluid in the ABS pump is miniscule so I didn't worry about it. I just used a simple plastic tube on the bleed nipple, no pump or vacuum fitting at all.
Thanks! Very useful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not on the Scrambler (yet) but had this issue with my Diavel at one stage. Suddenly...no freakin' brakes...noticed rear fluid reservoir was loose enough to have moved and was now at an angle (which I guess let the fluid move to the point where I was pumping more air than hydraulic fluid) but importantly also noticed the fluid was filthy...like dirtiest I've ever seen on one of my bikes and while I can't remember the exact mileage it was at the time much less than I would have expected. Quick flush and bleed...presto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts