Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been experiencing some issues with my rear brake as of late.
It all started as the rear brake locking up, but the problem has now evolved.
I am now experiencing total loss of brake pressure during the start of my rides, however the brake pressure bulbs up as the rides go on, and eventually lead to full brake pressure after 15 mins of riding. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I have bleed the brakes, and removed some air, but the fluid now comes out free of air.
The bike is a 2016 Icon, with single disc Brembos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even though you say there's no air in the system, I would still suspect thats possibly a problem...My next step would be a rear master cylinder rebuild kit...they might be $20 - if a seal is going, it could cause some bullsht

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose it would be worth a try to attempt to bleed with more specialized tools.
Do you know if specialized parts are needed for the master cylinder?

·
Registered
39 Posts
there's no specialized tools needed to bleed. a hose, an openend wrench, and a water bottle. Just do what he does

mastercylinder also, no special tools.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is it that the brake pedal is loose/inconsistent until you’ve been riding 15 mins or just that the brake isn’t very good to begin with?

if it’s poor braking performance, could be the pads. I experienced something similar with the front brake recently and new pads made the brakes feel much more consistent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is literally no braking pressure to start with. The pedal goes to the floor, but the pressure an subsequent braking effect seems to return after 15 mins of riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bleed nipple on the rear brake seems to leak a little when bleeding. I assumed this was a result of opening.
When closed the nipples seem healthy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the problem is in the adjustment of the brake pedal. Put the bike up on a rear stand and see if there is any drag from the brake. If there is it will heat up the pads which will in turn heat the brake fluid and it will expand. If there is any air in the lines it will expand even more and lock up the brakes. I actually saw someone on a 998 melt the rear brake caliper!:eek::oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts