Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the rear brake locking up? I've bleed mine several times, made sure the piston will move and adjusted foot brake lever and after a few miles it still locks up. I carry a 11mm wrench so I can relieve pressure and as of now---not using the rear brake. I think the pistons [ brake ] are not releasing. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks
bike is a 2016 Icon

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the rear brake locking up? I've bleed mine several times, made sure the piston will move and adjusted foot brake lever and after a few miles it still locks up. I carry a 11mm wrench so I can relieve pressure and as of now---not using the rear brake. I think the pistons [ brake ] are not releasing. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks
bike is a 2016 Icon
This is usually caused by the pushrod going into the master cylinder hasn't got enough free play. Adjusted by the threaded rod that the yoke screws onto and not the pedal stop. If the caliper piston was sticking or stuck then venting the bleed nipple would not free the brake.
Make sure there is at least 2mm of pushrod travel before the resistance is felt from the internal piston.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is usually caused by the pushrod going into the master cylinder hasn't got enough free play. Adjusted by the threaded rod that the yoke screws onto and not the pedal stop. If the caliper piston was sticking or stuck then venting the bleed nipple would not free the brake.
Make sure there is at least 2mm of pushrod travel before the resistance is felt from the internal piston.
That's what it was---thanks. Had me going in circles-----

·
Registered
895 Posts
My back brake isn’t that powerful or it could be me with not enough strength. I only use the back brake to “balance” the bike when braking or slow manoeuvres.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My back brake is plenty powerful and I use it a lot. If I get a little bit on it the ABS starts to kick in.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My back brake is plenty powerful and I use it a lot. If I get a little bit on it the ABS starts to kick in.
I can only assume you are American. From what I see on TV that’s how they ride with just the back brake on their Harleys and the like. Correct motorcycle braking is done with mainly the front (strongest) brake and a little back brake to keep the bike level and balanced. Honda and BMW and probably others have linked brakes so that when you apply the front it also trails in a little back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can only assume you are American. From what I see on TV that’s how they ride with just the back brake on their Harleys and the like. Correct motorcycle braking is done with mainly the front (strongest) brake and a little back brake to keep the bike level and balanced. Honda and BMW and probably others have linked brakes so that when you apply the front it also trails in a little back.
I am American but I got into the habit of rear brake bias while riding in Southeast Asia. So much metering of speeds in heavy traffic, and so much water, oil, and debris on the roads that are shared with 20 ton death machines that front wheel washout is a quick way to the afterlife (I've seen it and it's not pretty). Here in America though, if more than metering speed, I DO do my best to balance front/rear braking, though.

I don't understand how what you described is going to keep a bike balanced in all situations. The motorcycle safety foundation courses I've taken over the past year illustrate vividly the difference between balanced braking and biased braking. It seems like you're describing front biased braking and someone is going to have to explain to me the physics of how this is safer in all situations.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Agreed one type of braking won’t do in all circumstances it’s horses for courses. For example on a loose surface I would use my back brake more but for general road riding I would stick to my front / rear style.

·
Registered
209 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts