Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my rear brake pads out.

I've pulled out the retaining clip, the pistons are pushed back, but the pin doesn't want to come out. I'm not sure which way it is even supposed to come out. It spins freely, and I've tried tapping it both sides, but it's not moving.

Any tips on how to get it out, and does it come out towards the wheel or away from the wheel?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've not done those yet, but I would think the big end comes out, as in the case of the front caliper. But who knows? When you tap first one way and then the other, can you tell a difference in sound or feel? Maybe try just a tiny squirt of lube?

Sarah

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not done those yet, but I would think the big end comes out, as in the case of the front caliper. But who knows? When you tap first one way and then the other, can you tell a difference in sound or feel? Maybe try just a tiny squirt of lube?

Sarah
The front calliper pin unscrews. There was play both ways with gentle tapping and it wasn't completely clear that one end was bigger at first. Sticking something in the hole on the outside the size of the pin, i used a screwdriver, then a few bangs with the hammer got it out.

The pin has some sort of compression collet on it too, so I had to hammer it back in from the other side. No way is the pin going in and out by hand, force is necessary. !

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That information will make life easier for the rest of us, thanks very much.

Sarah

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe, yes of course I saw the retaining clip. I'd need some huge force to break that too!

The clip is mentioned in the manual, but after removing that it just states 'remove the pin outwards' or something like that - doesn't say how exactly.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Typical Brembo.

There’s a bushing around the pin that gives some friction. You need to (gently) tap it out after removing the clip.

My G650X was exactly the same front and rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, I discovered the collet around the pin. Gentle wasn't doing it.

One mans gentle maybe another mans rough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a steel allen key, large plier and instructions from Albe’s YouTube video to push the pin out.here is a link to his video.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How many miles are on your pads? What brand are you replacing them with?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if the question is for me. But I will answer it anyway. I have about 5100 miles on my current pads, and I am not replacing them yet. Existing brake pads look good to me. I will welcome suggestions though. Fyi - I have not taken my bike off road and I do spirited riding about 30% of the time. Most of my riding is rather easy going.

·
Registered
210 Posts
EBC pads seem pretty popular.

I figured you were removing your rears to replace them. Didn't figure you'd do it for fun! :adoration:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts