Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be true that the rear brake pedal rests on the brake light switch?

It seems that when the brake pedal is released by your foot it is the light switch that it then rests on.

The switch on this 2019 DS is held in by 2 plastic studs integral to the switch.

I can't beleive this is the design. Has something fallen off or has the job of the switch also been the stop for the brake pedal since inception.

Switch presently ty wrapped to it's holder because it likes nothing better than falling out.

I would have thought the pedal would have a stop that isn't the switch.

I guess I can wait til i see another DS but I'm thinknig of swapping the pedal anyway but this is a bit of a flaw that I need to design into the replacement?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you snap a picture so we can compare?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bike brake.png
Here's a close up of the Switch showing the ty wrap holding the switch to the bracket and screwdriver bit trying to make the ty wraps life easier.
I managed to spot a Scrambler Icon at lunch time and it's a different switch but an older model year.
Is this new new for 2019?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can try to get a close-up picture for you of my 2017 this weekend unless someone beats me to it. But maybe the spring that the switch body is attached to is somehow at the wrong angle? The spring that the bolt slides through the brake lever and then through the spring and into the frame.

Basically, you're saying that when you're foot is off the brake lever, the brake light is still on, correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for helping out.
I'm trying to suss out if this the brake switch design for my 2019 desert sled or it's always been the design since 2015.
The small switch for the brake light is what the brake pedal actually rests on when your foot is no longer using the brake.
This only works when the brake pedal is perfectly aligned. As soon as the pedal is slightly off it just pushes the switch ot of it housing.

I guess I'm trying to suss out if how my bike is now is what it was like when I picked it up from the dealer.

I'll go and get one of those banjo bolt switches just to remove this flakey switch if it is indeed what Ducati designed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also this what Scrambler rear brake switches look like and if early desert sleds are like this then then mines a new design
scrambler-rear-brake-light-switch.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Thank you so much.

The website shows that my design as per your pic is new as the earlier desing is the one I saw on the Icon.

I best get in touch with Ducati and say just how rubbish the new design is.

I'll use a banjo switch to replace it but will need to add an endstop for the pedal travel

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and heres the 2019 one where item 17 rest on the switch item 15 which is the problem is the pedal isn't perfectly straight

2019-Scrambler-800-Desert-Sled-.png

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All 2019 scramblers are getting this switch mod.
The brake pedal is so malleable it doesn't take much to have it unaligned which then pushes the switch out of its housing and then ride around with the brake light permanently on.
I'll add an a banjo bolt brake switch and remove it
I'll also ask Ducati why they went with this as a design on a bike that folk are supposed to be able to take off-road.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the diagrams didn't already confirm, yes the 2019 is definitely different than my 2017 model. That seems so jerry-rigged, I wonder why they would have changed that? Why fix something that wasn't broken?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just highlighted it to my "local" Ducati dealer who says I'm the first to mention it but that then depends on how many 2019 scramblers they've flogged I suppose.
I wonder if this is restricted to Scramblers as the earlier version of switch is mirrored in a monster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately it started falling out as well on my 2019 DS. Bad design indeed. I’m currently on a long trip and I’ll try to hot glue it or sth. ‍♂

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ty wrap I'm now using has kept it in place so far. But admittedly I started going out my way not to use the back brake.
Hope your trip continues safely.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know why the 2019 gets a 3-wire switch?

I've installed a Ducabike Rear Brake Lever on my 2019 Icon. I have come to find out it has the spot for the earlier 2-wire rear brake switch. I'm wondering if I can install the 2-wire switch and wire it in or if I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funnily enough, this was one of the very first things me and a buddy of mine noticed the first day I got the bike. As soon as I got it, I went around setting up the various controls for me... when we got to the rear brake pedal, I was like... wait... What??! Are you serious?? LOL. After closer inspection though, the pedal does not actually stop ON the switch but on the housing. Not the most elegant of designs, but I suppose it does the job.

However, as I write this, I decided to go check my Sled....which is a week and a half old and has 650km on it.... lo and behold, my switch has come loose like everyone else's...LOL...Shit! Guess I'm shopping for zip ties at lunch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts