Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took delivery of a 2017 Sled two days ago. First thing I did was check all the lights... What do you know, rear brake light constantly bright... Front brake switch was working properly. When releasing the rear brake lever, found the light flickered very briefly. Operated the switch with my finger. What do you know, the brake light dimmed. Found the switch and lever were not aligned. No adjustments for the bracket or switch position, so the switch bracket has to be bent into alignment.

I at first tried to take the switch out, however, the cable got very twisted and taut. I followed its path and tried to find an easily accessible connector. Unfortunately it is somewhere under the seat. It was around 5 AM and dark out, had to get ready for work in 30 minutes. Chose to leave it in...

Got the bracket in a decent position, but unfortunately effed up the switch in the process. The plastic plunger :angry7: would not pop out any more. I thought, "well for now I will be sure to bring the front brake lever off its stop before using the rear brake." But the switch is completely effed, and the light stays full bright. $38 USD for a new one.

Dealer said they did the 1st big service when the bike came in... Totally missed this shyte. I'll be having a conversation with them today :apthy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here. Happened after only a few days of riding on my new 2019. I noticed the brake light was always on. When looking up close at the pedal, I saw the switch dangling on its cable.
I reinstalled the switch on the bracket but the two plastic pins that hold it in place are definitely not up to the job. I fixed it like other have with a ziptie and some spacer carved from an eraser.

The main issue is that the stop screw rests on the switch. The switch is a tiny plastic thing that has no mechanical strength. I am not sure if the stop screw is intended to rest on the switch alone or on the bracket and the switch. That screw is a bit narrow for that and any play in the pedal (and there is plenty of play) will allow the screw to miss the bracket and rest solely on the switch.
I ended up bending the bracket a bit towards the pedal. This allows for the stop screw to rest mostly on the bracket and still activate the switch.
It does look like a rather weak design and I foresee having to keep an eye on this frequently. Hope Ducati upgrades this design soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well my fix did not hold very long. The pedal somehow flexed outward a tiny bit. The stopper now misses the bracket and hits just the switch again. The switch popped off after my small zip-tie broke.
I did not notice immediately and, since without the switch as a stopper the pedal rides higher, it vibrated against the engine cover and took some metal off the clutch cover.
I did the same temporary fixe. Bend the bracket and zip-tie. I need to check everyday I guess.

This is a stunningly poor design. I wonder how anyone could have approved this. I think I will report this to ducati, they should fix that.

Auto part Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 40137 Here's a close up of the Switch showing the ty wrap holding the switch to the bracket and screwdriver bit trying to make the ty wraps life easier.
I managed to spot a Scrambler Icon at lunch time and it's a different switch but an older model year.
Is this new new for 2019?
I know this design is wierd, My censor somtimes doesnt go off as its constantly pushing the switch. I have tried adjusting it but its forced into it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same issue here..I've done the same fixes which did not hold up. I wonder if ducati has fixed this on the 2020 or 2021 models

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep. Mine's a problem too. Worst design I've seen in a while. I've ordered a hideously expensive Ducabike lever and I'll weld a brace on the bracket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I decided to buy a hydraulic stop light switch.
The new switch only has 2 wires.
I found the tech specs for the original switch but it doesn’t shed any light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since nobody's been able to answer my questions, I'll have to do some experimenting and find out for myself. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since nobody's been able to answer my questions, I'll have to do some experimenting and find out for myself. Wish me luck!
Good luck! You will definitely start a trend if you can do it.
I have been staring at the electrical diagram of that 3 wire switch but I cant figure out how the 2 wires hydraulic switch would connect. I will check with one of my electrical engineer colleagues today and will report.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There’s no logical reason for the bike to utilise the extra wire, except to maybe “self diagnose” a circuit or switch fault.
Considering the other scrambler models and pretty much every other bike on the planet only uses a 2 wire switch, this seems unlikely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good luck! You will definitely start a trend if you can do it.
I have been staring at the electrical diagram of that 3 wire switch but I cant figure out how the 2 wires hydraulic switch would connect. I will check with one of my electrical engineer colleagues today and will report.
I hooked it up today.
No warning lights. ABS works as normal. No problemo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hooked it up today.
No warning lights. ABS works as normal. No problemo!
That's amazing! Makes you wonder why would Ducati not do this to begin with instead of that flimsy plastic switch?
I am ordering a hydraulic switch today!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look for "10mm x1.0mm Banjo Brake Pressure Switch " on google or a decent local bike shop. There are plenty of generic versions or you can be fancy and find a Brembo one for a few extra dollars. (even the Brembo ones are available under $20) Connect it to the brown wire and grey wire. I like to use these heat shrinkable connectors for a water tight seal. RS PRO Splice Connector, Insulated | RS Components .Tidy it up with some heatshrink tubing and tape.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts