Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, can anyone give me some insight on the rear suspension. I was wondering if there is a recommended weight range for each notch on the rear preload adjuster. I'm a shade under 200lbs and the bike seems like it's riding quite low in the rear when i'm sitting on it and I don't want to make myself pron to tank slappers.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just shy of "two bill" myself! Try cranking down the preload on your rear spring. That will reduce the "sag". On a dirt bike you want about 100mm of sag. Not sure what it should be on the Scrambler, although others on the forum suggest 25 to 30% of your total travel. One guys says 50% for off road. The Desert Sled for example has 8" (203mm) of travel. 50% would be 100 mm. All Ducati will tell you is what the stock position preload is...off-road 18.5mm between the top of the spring and the end of the adjustment threads.

Anyway...."sag"...you get measurement as follows. Have someone hold your bike up straight or lean it against the wall. Pick a point on the rear fender, turn signal or whatever and get the measurement between that point and the center of the rear axle at the axle nut. Now, with a helper present, get on the bike, bounce up and down a few times and sit where you normally do or stand on the pegs while holding on to something. Have your helper measure the distance between the two points you measured before. The difference would be the "sag". As I mentioned before, tightening the spring will reduce the sag. When you mentioned "tank slappers" I would suggest that having too little sag will cause more issues than the other way around. The Scrambler does not have a ton of travel and locking it down will cause the rear suspension not to work properly.

I would add....my Desert Sled was nowhere near the factory settings when I got it. The rebound was super slow and the for compression was cranked way down. When I was racing we spent hours at a track or on a desert course setting up the suspension. Start with the stock off road recommendations and go from there. Set your preload (sag) front and rear first and go from there.

With all this done, depending on your riding capabilities you may need to go with heavier springs. Never forget it is a 400 lb + scooter! That said, a Sled just won the Hooligan Class of the Mint 400. Of course Race Tech redid the fork internals and Fox built a custom shock for it...which you can't get...I asked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts