Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my bike up on the paddock stand to clean the chain just now and when I spun the rear wheel I'm getting noises from it!
Doesn't feel like it's coming from the caliper nor is it the chain.

What do you people think??

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would say chain related... you can her the clicks dropping in - check the wheel / chain / sprocket alignment...

Also MY OCD would kill me with that rusty bolt blanking the muck catcher mount hole

Buy some stainless or titanium pan head cap screws...PLEASE....

Also check there is nothing rubbing the paddock stand where the arms slide in and out - had a similar thing years ago - but notchy on wheel.... Sprocket nuts hitting the stand.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say chain related... you can her the clicks dropping in - check the wheel / chain / sprocket alignment...

Also MY OCD would kill me with that rusty bolt blanking the muck catcher mount hole

Buy some stainless or titanium pan head cap screws...PLEASE....

Also check there is nothing rubbing the paddock stand where the arms slide in and out - had a similar thing years ago - but notchy on wheel.... Sprocket nuts hitting the stand.....
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I keep forgetting to change out that horrible bolt! A trip to Pro-Bolt is needed!

I made a note of the chain as I spun the wheel one revolution. The part of the chain that is at the top of the rear sprocket at the start of the rear wheel being turned, endd up being at the part where you measure chain tension so can't see it being the chain.

The paddock stand isn't catching neither.

I've done two more videos... one of chain tension and one of me pushing which also creates the noise (ruling out paddock stand).

I had the bike up on the paddock stands last week and rotated the wheels (no noises), had the annual service on Monday and now this happens!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it sound/ feel like something has broken off in your wheel like the tyre valve nut?
No, you can feel/hear the creak as opposed to something tumbling around.
It's in the same area on the rotation though there is a little occutong in one other spot.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
If it's at the same point of rotating the wheel I'm fairly certain it's one of your bearings (thanks for that piece of masking tape on the rim).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's at the same point of rotating the wheel I'm fairly certain it's one of your bearings (thanks for that piece of masking tape on the rim).
Yes it starts roughly at the tape then carries on past it for short bit.
There is one other place which you can hear at 15 seconds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The sprocket carrier has pins that connect it to the wheel. Mine was squeaking quite a bit until I put some moly grease on the pins and sockets: then no sound but the chain and the brake pads against the disc. While there, may as well check the bearings too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sprocket carrier has pins that connect it to the wheel. Mine was squeaking quite a bit until I put some moly grease on the pins and sockets: then no sound but the chain and the brake pads against the disc. While there, may as well check the bearings too.
Thanks.

My bike is still under warranty so I'll be going down that route.

Would anyone agree that I should try and get the dealership to come collect it as opposed to me riding it there?
If it is the bearings I'm not sure of the implications of riding it? Will the bearings fail totally?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I had the rear sprocket changed by a local bike garage, the chain tension was less than it is now.

I'll check the alignment of the two adjusters first thing in the morning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
When I had my icon new I immediately checked the chain tension and with firm finger pressure (1 finger) - up to down movement at the middle of bottom run - centre link up to centre link down was 40mm.

I kept it at that tension the 3 years I had it without issue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I measured the chain tension and it was 23mm.
Definitely too tight but I don't think it has caused the problem, probably just highlighted an already existing problem.

Anyway the Duke has gone to a main dealer (different one this time!).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the bike has been repaired!
Turns out a hub bearing had failed.
They've replaced all four lots of bearings.

Just need to get to Bristol somehow to collect It?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts