Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody been notified about a recall for the rear master cylinder hose? I just got an email from my dealer. Short on details, I wonder if it can wait until the first service.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Has anybody been notified about a recall for the rear master cylinder hose? I just got an email from my dealer. Short on details, I wonder if it can wait until the first service.
There are no parts available yet but it is eminent.

It involves replacing the flexi hose from the rear reservoir to the master cylinder. I'm not sure yet why but it was suggested slight misting at the clips. Either way it's getting changed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

I also read about this on a french speaking forum. I had a look at my DS and could see that the flexi hose is in contact with the hose going out the master cylinder. This second hose has a metallic part which may wear the flexi hose.

I will discuss this with my dealer, this afternoon, during the 1000 km service : whether he knows about this recall, here in France or if the hoses contact may create a problem later.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

So I've discussed about this recall with my dealer yesterday. They received no news from Ducati and found nothing in the Ducati's dealer site. He told me that, if my bike is concerned, I will receive a postal mail (which happened for the sidestand recall).

So, let's wait...

I've shown them the wear risk with the 2 hoses touching, but they didn't bother that much. My self-made protection (a small rubber tube fixed on the flexi tube with nylstop collars) will be enough, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The recall is a definite. According to Ducati Glasgow. I was down there a couple of days ago for 1st service on my Sled.
I've just gone out and checked the bikes we have here, the Desert Sled hose is over twice as long as the one on the Classic or UE making them totally different and I doubt if the recall will include both types, problem is at this stage we don't know which model the recall will be for at the moment.

The Desert Sled flexi hose does touch the main pressure line, a fix for this is loosen very slightly and keep the friction/sealing to allow the banjo to rotate towards the swingarm. Personally I prefer to remove the reservoir and re-position it with the hose behind the main line, it's just a bit neater but still touching, I don't think chaffing here is an issue when we consider all other hose and cables are touching at some point.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's just a bit neater but still touching, I don't think chaffing here is an
issue when we consider all other hose and cables are touching at some point.
A flexi hose touching the metallic part of the pressure line is not something good from a mechanical point of view.
We are talking about a security element, I wouldn't play with this. If the flexi hose is worn enough to loose the brake fluid ad create a too low level in the reservoir, you may experience some air coming in the brake circuit and that can become very dangerous.

I've left the reservoir in place and didn't touch the pressure line banjo. I've cut along its length a 5 cm rubber hose, so it can be opened and set around the flexi hose. It is held in place with 2 nylstop collars. Then the metallic part of the pressure line will wear the rubber hose instead of the flexi hose.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
A flexi hose touching the metallic part of the pressure line is not something good from a mechanical point of view.
We are talking about a security element, I wouldn't play with this. If the flexi hose is worn enough to loose the brake fluid ad create a too low level in the reservoir, you may experience some air coming in the brake circuit and that can become very dangerous.

I've left the reservoir in place and didn't touch the pressure line banjo. I've cut along its length a 5 cm rubber hose, so it can be opened and set around the flexi hose. It is held in place with 2 nylstop collars. Then the metallic part of the pressure line will wear the rubber hose instead of the flexi hose.
Well, maybe I'm at an advantage having spent my entire life in the trade and know full well what's good and what's not. If the tank, headlight etc. are removed we'll see virtually every other hose or cable touching something, touching and chafing are two different things.
One way I can tell you are not in the trade is because you don't recognise the fact that nylon and rubber wear through steel and not the other way round unless it's a sharp edge.
I think the clue is when the dealer 'didn't bother much'. I would guess if there was any risk at all or they would have been all over it like a rash.
Definitely no harm taking precautions though from an owner point of view but I can't be spending customers money making unnecessary and sometimes costly repairs and then expect them to pay for them.
Some street fighter builds only have a clear hose without any reservoir as the rear brake has little displacement and you would need to try quite hard to get air in before noticing there was something wrong.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm not in the trade, for sure.
But, I can tell that the flexi hose was already a little bit worn where it touches the steel part of the pressure line.

I'm maintaining all my bikes since now more than 15 years and I can define, although I'm not in the trade, if something is normal or not.
The way my rear brake is mounted is, imho, not normal and need, at least, to be surveyed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I checked mine - plenty of clearance :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I checked mine - plenty of clearance :)
Aye Derek, I think the 'dangerous' chafing problem is on the Desert Sled. When I checked mine after speaking to Harry I see the Classic etc. have a much shorter flexi and the main line is nowhere close, opposed to the Sled. Not sure yet which type the recall will be for but I'm pretty sure it's not a chafing problem.

·
Registered
764 Posts
HopefuIly only the Desert Sled. I could do without another recall. I had to do the 200 mile round trip to Ducati Glasgow for the sidestand bolt. A job I could have done myself in 15 minutes. I asked if they could send it me to replace and I'd send them the old bolt back as evidence but they wouldn't have that. And the day it was booked in for had me in torrential rain all the way there. Then, when I went to leave I started the bike, snicked it into gear - and the engine cut! They had to take it back into the workshop and re-fit the stand switch. :angry5:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
HopefuIly only the Desert Sled. I could do without another recall. I had to do the 200 mile round trip to Ducati Glasgow for the sidestand bolt. A job I could have done myself in 15 minutes. I asked if they could send it me to replace and I'd send them the old bolt back as evidence but they wouldn't have that. And the day it was booked in for had me in torrential rain all the way there. Then, when I went to leave I started the bike, snicked it into gear - and the engine cut! They had to take it back into the workshop and re-fit the stand switch. :angry5:
There's no icon for Geezzo! and the funny doesn't seem appropriate. I've just done a 360 mile round trip for an oil change. The joys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer on the first service confirmed the brake hose recall. They will order the parts and change the hose. Someday...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts