1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5C60547E-44B0-4AB8-8997-F43017A0341D.jpeg
92EA2D78-6572-4DE9-82B9-59B9E700960A.jpeg
61DD3082-90A8-43EA-A785-AF0D007AAA04.jpeg
ive been thinking (no comments Phil) since I put my spoked wheels on I swear it’s lost it’s zing and I’m wondering if the extra weight might of caused this? Over winter I want to change a few things and go down one of 2 routes either lose more weight (put cast wheels back on with a sports tyre, plus lighten the load ( changing back light for led strip and removing fenders plus a few other things)) or go down the off-road look with tkc80’s on and go back to upright bars. Not sure yet as I love the look of the spokes but love the cafe racer look over off road.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
In my experience, you don’t feel loosing just a few lbs, it has to be significant. (like over 10%).

Unless it’s either unsprung or rotating as you noticed with the heavier spoked (tubed?) wheels.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
View attachment 37371 View attachment 37373 View attachment 37369 ive been thinking (no comments Phil) since I put my spoked wheels on I swear it’s lost it’s zing and I’m wondering if the extra weight might of caused this? Over winter I want to change a few things and go down one of 2 routes either lose more weight (put cast wheels back on with a sports tyre, plus lighten the load ( changing back light for led strip and removing fenders plus a few other things)) or go down the off-road look with tkc80’s on and go back to upright bars. Not sure yet as I love the look of the spokes but love the cafe racer look over off road.
Consider a tubless conversion with the spoked wheels. If I remember correctly when I did it on the Scrambler the weight dropped 1/2 kg front and 1kg rear.
Are you certain that wire wheels are heavier than the cast ones ?, not tried on the Scrambler but on another bike I weighed wheels and wire’s were actually lighter. (Wheels only, no tyre/tube)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but it is generally easier cheaper and in the long term more beneficial for the rider to lose a fews pounds than it is to remove the same amount of weight from a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I was jumping back and fore from the Desert Sled with wire spokes to the Urban Enduro with wire spokes. Without weighing the wheels we can assume the Sled’s wheels are heavier as they are bigger. I couldn’t detect any notable difference with acceleration etc.
We need to remember that we’re not talking about a sports bike on a track-day, the Scramblers are just ordinary bikes with ordinary riders doing ordinary stuff.
I was in the position once where I had a set of my standard Diavel wheels stripped for powder coating when a customer asked me to do his Marchesini wheels too. I used this opportunity to weigh them completely bare, well fck me, all the hype about how much better the lighter Marchesini’s made the bike feel (£2k more) I may add.
Ma hole!! The (Marchies) are heavier by quite a bit especially the front which proved to me the placebo effect. This twat had been bumping his gums to me about how ‘he’ could feel the difference where ‘I’ was obviously not quite as switched on as he was, his face when I showed him was a picture.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't take this the wrong way but it is generally easier cheaper and in the long term more beneficial for the rider to lose a fews pounds than it is to remove the same amount of weight from a motorcycle.
You calling me fat?? :adoration: I’m a light 12 stone, 30 inch waistline.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was jumping back and fore from the Desert Sled with wire spokes to the Urban Enduro with wire spokes. Without weighing the wheels we can assume the Sled’s wheels are heavier as they are bigger. I couldn’t detect any notable difference with acceleration etc.
We need to remember that we’re not talking about a sports bike on a track-day, the Scramblers are just ordinary bikes with ordinary riders doing ordinary stuff.
I was in the position once where I had a set of my standard Diavel wheels stripped for powder coating when a customer asked me to do his Marchesini wheels too. I used this opportunity to weigh them completely bare, well fck me, all the hype about how much better the lighter Marchesini’s made the bike feel (£2k more) I may add.
Ma hole!! The (Marchies) are heavier by quite a bit especially the front which proved to me the placebo effect. This twat had been bumping his gums to me about how ‘he’ could feel the difference where ‘I’ was obviously not quite as switched on as he was, his face when I showed was a picture.
It’s probably more the Uber nimble handling has now become just nimble, it feels heavier to turn. The bike definitely feels more planted which is good but it might be the flighty twitchy feeling that I miss.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
43BBD335-9733-4D6C-97A7-60961FDD5B2E.jpeg
Just remembered I’ve got 5 wheels in total and the fifth one has a tyre on it so when I get a minute I’ll take my spoked rear off and weigh both to compare. How much weight difference do you think? I’m going with 2.5kg more on the spokes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It’s probably more the Uber nimble handling has now become just nimble, it feels heavier to turn. The bike definitely feels more planted which is good but it might be the flighty twitchy feeling that I miss.
Daft question maybe but when you swopped wheels did you keep your own tyres and pressures ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts